Hypothetical: If Ferentz Has Interest From an NFL Team....

bingo. It's about philosophies and strategy and Kirk is a great football mind. Iowa's not the easiest place to win and yet Kirk has been successful. He loves it here. If he had the resources of an NFL team or an elite college team he would be Pete Carroll or better.

This is debatable but isn't a guarantee. Ferentz believes in hard work, playing with strong fundamentals and smart assignment football. Technically from '02-'04 you could say that Iowa was an elite college team. They proved they could play with about anyone those years. Since then only half of 08' and all of '09 has Iowa come even close to that level.

This is debatable but isn't a guarantee. Ferentz believes in hard work, playing with strong fundamentals and smart assignment football. Technically from '02-'04 you could say that Iowa was an elite college team. They proved they could play with about anyone those years. Since then only half of 08' and all of '09 has Iowa come even close to that level.

No, we were not an elite team then and have never been. Once elite, a team is always elite. You don't just be elite for a couple seasons and then stop being elite. I'm talking about Notre Dame, Alabama, Florida, USC, Ohio State, penn state, Michigan, Texas, Oklahoma, teams like that. They all have MULTIPLE conference and national titles under their belt, spend more time ranked than not, and kids grow up in all parts of the country saying "I want to play there". We aren't there and never have been. If Kirk had capitalized on the momentum from 02 and kept it going for ten years and won a national or even conference title, then maybe, MAYBE we could have a small claim to being an elite team.

Put Kirk in one of those elite team tho and I think he would do very well, better than the coaches a lot of them have. He's a brilliant football mind and does it the right way.

No, we were not an elite team then and have never been. Once elite, a team is always elite. You don't just be elite for a couple seasons and then stop being elite. I'm talking about Notre Dame, Alabama, Florida, USC, Ohio State, penn state, Michigan, Texas, Oklahoma, teams like that. They all have MULTIPLE conference and national titles under their belt, spend more time ranked than not, and kids grow up in all parts of the country saying "I want to play there". We aren't there and never have been. If Kirk had capitalized on the momentum from 02 and kept it going for ten years and won a national or even conference title, then maybe, MAYBE we could have a small claim to being an elite team.

Put Kirk in one of those elite team tho and I think he would do very well, better than the coaches a lot of them have. He's a brilliant football mind and does it the right way.

I guess you and I have a different idea of "elite", I would consider your definition as a "Presitege" thing, not "elite". Those teams have an tradition of winning over the long haul but have ups and downs, merely that the downs aren't nearly as long as teams like Iowa.

Michigan was horrible under Rich-Rod. Notre Dame wasn't elite most of the last decade or two.

Latest posts