Hypothetical Atwood Scenario???

ForeverHawk

First off, I like how Atwood is handling his recruiting situation. He doesn't seem like he is going to be swayed by any school or location to commit on the spot and it looks like he will take at least the 3 visits in Iowa, FSU and ASU before verballing. He is not tipping his hand on social media either.

So, in your opinion, the longer this play out, does it bode well for Iowa or not? I tend to believe it does. We know Iowa is a great destination for college athletes, but my guess is that is pales in comparison to FSU and ASU? However, Iowa was Atwood's first official on this tour, his buddy Dickerson is already on board and we know he likes the coaching staff. I have to think the family vibe will be felt more in Iowa City compared to the other two. It seems like that is very important to Atwood. Also, it sounds like Francis saw him right after his FSU visit. Hopefully that made an impression?

Anyway, I like Iowa's chances and I would love to have Wilie Atwood as a Hawkeye next season! He is the one player type this team is lacking going into next season.

My opinion is that he pretty much had made up his mind when scheduling his visits. I think and hope he picks Iowa.

First off, I like how Atwood is handling his recruiting situation. He doesn't seem like he is going to be swayed by any school or location to commit on the spot and it looks like he will take at least the 3 visits in Iowa, FSU and ASU before verballing. He is not tipping his hand on social media either.

So, in your opinion, the longer this play out, does it bode well for Iowa or not? I tend to believe it does. We know Iowa is a great destination for college athletes, but my guess is that is pales in comparison to FSU and ASU? However, Iowa was Atwood's first official on this tour, his buddy Dickerson is already on board and we know he likes the coaching staff. I have to think the family vibe will be felt more in Iowa City compared to the other two. It seems like that is very important to Atwood. Also, it sounds like Francis saw him right after his FSU visit. Hopefully that made an impression?

Anyway, I like Iowa's chances and I would love to have Wilie Atwood as a Hawkeye next season! He is the one player type this team is lacking going into next season.

If his mom went with him on the FSU trip, might tip his hand a bit. (Sounds like she did.)

I think normally whenever you deal with JUCO kids or transfer, if the kid leaves the campus without commit kind hard to secure it later.

That said, each kid is different, and he seems set on taking the ASU visit as well and is weighing all things.

Edit: Sounds like the ASU trip is off, and he will decide this week.

Last edited:
That said, each kid is different, and he seems set on taking the ASU visit as well and is weighing all things.

Where did you hear the ASU trip is off? I thought it was odd taking an Easter weekend recruiting trip.

Where did you hear the ASU trip is off? I thought it was odd taking an Easter weekend recruiting trip.

He tweeted it.

Not sure if that is a good or bad thing that he cancelled the ASU trip.

The bad is he liked what he saw at FSU and does not need to go to ASU.

The good is it sounds like Iowa sent a coach down to Oklahoma right after he got back from FSU, and the tweet about the cancelled trip to ASU came shortly after the meeting.
Given he did not commit to FSU prior to leaving, and he cancelled his trip to ASU, and an Iowa coach was last to see him, who knows..

Usually something will trickle out prior to a kids announcement, but with this kid I doubt it.

Last edited:
If his mom went with him on the FSU trip, might tip his hand a bit. (Sounds like she did.)

I think normally whenever you deal with JUCO kids or transfer, if the kid leaves the campus without commit kind hard to secure it later.

One good thing is, McCaffery has been to visit his mom personally.

He tweeted it.

Not sure if that is a good or bad thing that he cancelled the ASU trip.

The bad is he liked what he saw at FSU and does not need to go to ASU.

The good is it sounds like Iowa sent a coach down to Oklahoma right after he got back from FSU, and the tweet about the cancelled trip to ASU came shortly after the meeting.
Given he did not commit to FSU prior to leaving, and he cancelled his trip to ASU, and an Iowa coach was last to see him, who knows..

Usually something will trickle out prior to a kids announcement, but with this kid I doubt it.

I don't see anywhere on his timeline that he tweets he is no longer going to ASU? Can you provide a link?

"willie atwood @thelastchill
Social media Is crazy!!!.. I still have my Arizona state visit since when was I pose to decide between Iowa and Florida st."

Any recruit that gets an offer from Iowa and does not take it is making the worst decision of their life. If I had a scholarship offer from Iowa coming out of high school I would have accepted in a heartbeat.

Any recruit that gets an offer from Iowa and does not take it is making the worst decision of their life. If I had a scholarship offer from Iowa coming out of high school I would have accepted in a heartbeat.

Not me, I would have enjoyed a trip to Florida, Texas, and California and THEN committed to Iowa.

I'd go to Iowa State and flip some cars over and bust a stop sign and carry it around. It sounds like more fun. But that's just me...I'm a football guy first.