Husker fans enjoy Iowa loss

Nebraska hasn't beat a team that has finished the season ranked since 2001. Iowa has beat 13 in the same time frame.

I am currently sitting in Omaha, Nebraska at work, in the heart of Husker country and I will say the same thing to all the Hawk fans as I do the Huskers.... I will care in 2011, until then I don't care. I will talk about them, listen to their crappy radio/tv etc, but I don't care if you go 12-0 or 7-5.

Unless of course they meet in the BCS, which is possible (Fiesta anyone?). I don't get the chest bumping by Husker fans over here as much as I don't care for the whining message board Iowa fans who cry everytime that someone is mean to our fans or doesn't pick Iowa to win the National title or they predict who will be starting by midseason because they looked big on a moped. All I care about is Iowa Hawkeyes football.. if it doesn't impact Iowa football then what's the point of it?

Bingo. But I can answer the OP. I used to have no ill will towards Iowa whatsoever, until I stopped at a gas station in Iowa and saw a sign that said, "My two favorite teams are the Iowa Hawkeyes and whoever is playing Nebraska." This was in the 90's, and I did not understand the sentiment, IU and NU hadn't played in year. I actually used to have respect for and would pull for Iowa. A couple more reasons for my dislike:

1) I had to deal with a couple of Iowa fans who were laughing about NU missing a bowl game. I responded, "For the first time in my life, we aren't going to a bowl. But since Iowa fans know quite a bit about that, what should I do during this bowl season?"

2) The constant inferiority complex displayed by Iowa fans hating on Nebraska on local radio and TV shows.

We in Nebraska don't care about Iowa, and won't until next year.

Cheers!:)

blah blah blah Tom Osborn blah blah Frazier blah blah National Champs blah blah overweight women blah

Yea we get it, you guys are awesome and overload on the carbs. Enjoy this year..it all changes next year.
Yeah, because Iowa is the Midwest Mecca of healthy lifestyles and class. As if there are not fat women,, trailer parks, or meth houses in Iowa. Give me a break.

Nebraska hasn't beat a team that has finished the season ranked since 2001. Iowa has beat 13 in the same time frame.
You could be right, but you remind me of Texa$$ fan. Congrats, we have had the worst 8 year span in the modern era, and it just happened to coincide with your best span. NU is on the upswing, see you next year.

Why wouldn't they gloat? I am sure a good amount would be doing the same had Nebby lost to Wash

It would seem Nebraska fan has been waiting for this loss, and are enjoying it a little too much. Every call/e-mail on sports talk in Omaha has to bag on Iowa before they gloat about their win over powerhouse Washington. Iowa has NEVER done anything and NEVER will, they will win the championship for sure! It is getting real old, real fast. I have also been taking a pounding on some other boards(because I am openly a Hawkeye fan). All this hate makes me think they have been a little envious of our success in the last few seasons. Bring on Nov 2011! See you in Lincoln!

Their Iowa obsession is Iowa State fan-esque. Such obsession generally stems from some deep-seated jealousy. We can't do much about it, it's really their problem, not ours. I'd take it as a compliment, and leave it at that.

Bingo. But I can answer the OP. I used to have no ill will towards Iowa whatsoever, until I stopped at a gas station in Iowa and saw a sign that said, "My two favorite teams are the Iowa Hawkeyes and whoever is playing Nebraska." This was in the 90's, and I did not understand the sentiment, IU and NU hadn't played in year. I actually used to have respect for and would pull for Iowa. A couple more reasons for my dislike:

1) I had to deal with a couple of Iowa fans who were laughing about NU missing a bowl game. I responded, "For the first time in my life, we aren't going to a bowl. But since Iowa fans know quite a bit about that, what should I do during this bowl season?"

2) The constant inferiority complex displayed by Iowa fans hating on Nebraska on local radio and TV shows.

Let me shed some light on it for you from a guy who grew up 40 minutes from Omaha on the Iowa side of the river. The Omaha World Herald sports page is filled with Husker talk 365 days a year. One year in particular the front page story the day after the NCAA Tournament final was a headline about spring football. Every TV station talks nothing but Nebraska football, never anything about Iowa sports period...unless they lose. The World Herald sells more papers in Iowa then they do in Nebraska, the TV stations have more sets in Iowa then Nebraska...so why not some Iowa coverage of any kind. Throw on top of that MOST fans that think the sun and moon rises through memorial stadium and nobody could possibly be as good as they are.

I for one respect the tradition and Tom Osborne and the way HE conducts himself. However the disdain of MOST fans is simply off the charts. Today I listened to 1620 the zone...they had an hour on hating things...I counted 30 calls that had some mention of hating Iowa football. If we are so irrelevant why the hate? Actually your storied program is on the rise again...good for you guys. However our program has enjoyed a decade of solid football, and it so happens more then yours has. I don't throw that in your face but facts are facts and MOST husker fans ignore them.

So good luck in your 4th mega tough game SDSU, and I am not talking about San Diego State...but South Dakota directional school. Your SOS this season alone is in the bottom 20 in the country.

It's because they know that over the past 10 yrs we have been better than them. We have 4 top 10's since they last made an appearance there. They're just crawling back out of their holes to run their mouth again.
That said- they are good. Much better than what I thought they'd be this year, and with that joke of a schedule, their season will come down to 1 game- Texas.

Guys, we have to stop this argument we've been better than them over the last 10 years. If you look at the last 10 seasons played (2000-2009), they are 84-44 .656% and we are 80-45 .640% and they finished in the top 10 in 2000 and 2001. Quit feeding them, it only makes it worse, and they won't go away.

The one thing to understand is this: fans are fans. Does not matter which school you are referring to. Ever fan base has ta share of a##holes. Lord knows we have our share of them. When a program all of a sudden starts to win the fan base walks around with a litlle more confidence and arrogance. Iowa fans have done the exact same thing since kirk turned the program. Some fans just don't know how to handle when their program becomes good.

Our fans are no different than fans at notre dame or florida or wisconsin. Heck, look at kansas state fans when their program was winning. It is human nature. No fans are as obnoxious as any other fans. Many many times i have witnesses iowa fans taunt visiting team fans on the way to or from the stadium.

Now that nebraska is winning again the louder husker fans are going to make some noise.

One thing that always baffles me are posts like this one. I really don't know why it matters what a smathering group of husker fans think about the hawks. Not sure why some hawk fans choose to lurk on other messageboards. What is the point of visiting the arizona board and then linking to a thread of fans saying the team is going to destroy iowa. Would you expect anything else? Just as the threads on this board predicted iowa would beat the cats.

Fans are fans. Just like any city in america, you have good people and you have your not so good people. That is society. That is life.

Let me shed some light on it for you from a guy who grew up 40 minutes from Omaha on the Iowa side of the river. The Omaha World Herald sports page is filled with Husker talk 365 days a year. One year in particular the front page story the day after the NCAA Tournament final was a headline about spring football. Every TV station talks nothing but Nebraska football, never anything about Iowa sports period...unless they lose. The World Herald sells more papers in Iowa then they do in Nebraska, the TV stations have more sets in Iowa then Nebraska...so why not some Iowa coverage of any kind. Throw on top of that MOST fans that think the sun and moon rises through memorial stadium and nobody could possibly be as good as they are.

I for one respect the tradition and Tom Osborne and the way HE conducts himself. However the disdain of MOST fans is simply off the charts. Today I listened to 1620 the zone...they had an hour on hating things...I counted 30 calls that had some mention of hating Iowa football. If we are so irrelevant why the hate? Actually your storied program is on the rise again...good for you guys. However our program has enjoyed a decade of solid football, and it so happens more then yours has. I don't throw that in your face but facts are facts and MOST husker fans ignore them.

So good luck in your 4th mega tough game SDSU, and I am not talking about San Diego State...but South Dakota directional school. Your SOS this season alone is in the bottom 20 in the country.

Let me help Loesshills elaborate...I am in western iowa by sioux city anyway the nebraska influence here is too f ing big and they have done nothing this week but make fun of our loss... understand one thing that we have always known in western iowa... iowa state fans cannot hold a candle to the hatred you are going to have against nebraska fans once we start playing each other. NO OTHER FAN BASE CAN **** OFF AN IOWA FAN BASE AS BAD AS THESE GUYS WILL BOOK IT! you all will learn what we have been putting up with over there in eastern Iowa we better win every year

I live in central iowa and i look for husker stuff all the time. I find very little mention in the DM Register and very little husker gears in the stores. But im in the middle of iowa so i understand that. And as far as the Omaha world hearold goes. Its a Nebraska paper and they love football in nebraska. Thats just how it goes man.

As far as memorial stadium goes, dont you love kinnick. Cornhusker fans are passionate about there team and there stadium. They are proud of the past teams accomplishments. I know alot of them are di*ks but there are di*ks in every fanbase. The only thing i guess i could say that if this stuff bothers you or anyone else that much. Dont pick up the papers or wear your hawkeye gear. But ill tell you what. No matter how bad the huskers are doing i will always wear my shirts and fly my flag on saturday. That is what being a fan is all about to me. Even though i get heckled i support my team. I wouldnt expect any hawk fan to do any less.

If something that simple makes you hate Iowa, you have some more serious problems on your hands that probably need to be looked.

Saying people in Nebraska don't care about Iowa= FAIL.

This thread is the definition of why non-Husker fans have disdain for their team. It's always the other fan bases that are bad, never your own. You claim not to care about Iowa, and then go on to list reasons why you don't like them. You also apparently care enough to visit our boards. Once again, elitism at it's finest from the big red.

And can you really complain about our pre season schedule when you play the massivly professional ball state team.
Kentucky beat Western Kentucky 63-10....Your schedule is weak...we have played ISU (they beat you last year and won their bowl game) we beat EIU which isn't a top notch team, and then we went to Arizona who was ranked...so don't talk about Ball State. You can't honestly argue strength of schedule with a straight face...:confused:

Kentucky beat Western Kentucky 63-10....Your schedule is weak...we have played ISU (they beat you last year and won their bowl game) we beat EIU which isn't a top notch team, and then we went to Arizona who was ranked...so don't talk about Ball State. You can't honestly argue strength of schedule with a straight face...:confused:

Kentucky did not win 63-10 is was 63-28 still a blowout no less but the fact you cant even fact check makes your argument even more pathetic.

Why you even bring up you beating ISU this year who beat us last year is beyond me, by the same logic we blasted AZ last year and they beat you this year.:confused::eek:

We beat a decent Idaho team who is coming of an 8-4 season with a bowl win. They also have a QB who according to Mel Kiper is his #3 QB behind Jake Locker and Christian Ponder.

Eastern Illinois is a D2 school all D2 schools are garbage and no one should be allowed to schedule them. NU included.

Ball State is as laughable as WKU, the won 2 games last year and are already 1-2.

So the way I look at it, you dont have much room to talk about SOS so far. EIU=SDSU, ISU=Idaho, BSU=WKU. The only area you have an edge is AZ over UW which there was no way to tell when it was scheduled how good they were going to be. So give me a break on the SOS B.S.

Last edited:
Every TV station talks nothing but Nebraska football, never anything about Iowa sports period...unless they lose. .

This is true. Only when Iowa loses are they talked about. It's blatantly obvious and pathetic.

Not really sure why Nebraska fans hate Iowa other than that Iowa has stolen some attention from their team the last few years.

Living in Omaha as I do I can't wait to play Nebraska. I'm thrilled that it's the last game of the year. Kirk's teams tend to peak at the end of the year and I like our chances. I can't WAIT to win that game and then just reply with one word the rest of the year......SCOREBOARD.... blah blah blah....SCOREBOARD! It's going to be fun.

Does this message string really need to continue all the way up to the Texas v Nebraska game? Feel free to keep it going but you are wasting a lot of energy in my view. This thread will be a moot point in a couple of weeks, trust me.

Let me help Loesshills elaborate...I am in western iowa by sioux city anyway the nebraska influence here is too f ing big and they have done nothing this week but make fun of our loss...

I will agree whole-heartedly that Nebraska fans in NW Iowa can be awful, having lived there for many years...I never liked Iowa because they just weren't very good at that time, plus PSU, Michigan and Ohio St have way better tradition and uniforms IMO. Hell, i honestly really hated NU because of their NW Iowa fan base until i moved to the Omaha/Lincoln area, and subsequently learned:

1) 95% of Nebraska fans are, in fact, really freaking awesome,
2) that Iowa is actually "the other side of the river", and
3) how a generationally successful football program is run, including how to work harder & smarter than the competition, handle success, rinse, & repeat.

I didn't say our schedule was wasn't totally weak. But you were raggin on our easy team we play this week when you've got ball state this weekend. And arizona wasn't ranked at the beginning of the season either so don't give me that ranked team garbage. No one is saying your schedule isn't a tough one, can you just let that one go. Yea ISU beat us last year its not like they've never beat iowa Oh wait that was the past right.

Latest posts