Husker fans display more class at games than Iowa fans.

Never having been to a Husker game, I can't address behavior at their games, but I remember only too well how they (and Tom Osborne) stood by Lawrence Phillips after he broke into a former girlfriend's apartment, chased her into the street, and was banging her head on a mailbox when the police showed up. And he remained on the team. How classy is that?

When did everyone become such a nancy about booing? Its apart of sports who cares.

I care. Most fans with a shred of maturity care. Jared Claus cares. Current players care. The coaching staff cares. To name a few.

Go call Jared a nancy to his face, and let us know how it works out for you.

I must say, I was disappointed with Hawk fans behavior toward opponents AND their fans @ Kinnick this year.
After sitting in a section FULL of PENN ST season ticket holders in Happy Valley this year, I heard NOT ONE negative comment about Iowa. A few looked at me funny when I cheered for good Hawkeye plays, but when I lifted my gold poncho to reveal Hawkeye gear, they said "oh, good play." and that was it. After the game I had a dozen or more PSU fans congratulate me for the Hawks' win and wish Iowa well for the rest of the season.
Conversely, I have a friend (Husker Grad) who has a step-brother playing for Michigan, He & his family (father, wife and brother) were harrased, cussed and verbally abused on the way into and out of Kinnick to the point where his wife (who grew up in Iowa) was in tears, Why? They were wearing Michigan gear. I realize the perpetrators of this abuse are a small minority, but they can and do leave a lasting impression on our visitors.

Try to show some class, Hawk fans. If you want to be considered one of the elite programs in the country, you also need to show some respect to our guests. Players and Fans.

Iowa fan just wants to make noise. They also try to make the right kind of noise. In very simplistic terms, that is cheer our team, boo their team.

Remember our colors are black and gold, but our attitudes are pretty much black and white. We just don't really have much room for finer distinctions. I mean next you will be asking for our band to start playing loudly when the other team gets in our red-zone. Oh wait, that was Tech's band. Okay, you will ask us to stand up and yell some incoherent rant for five minutes when the band plays, Oh wait, that was the Tech fans.

See we are just not sophisticated enough to understand this don't boo thing. What do we do if we don't boo? We can't cheer the other team, because that is what we do for our team.

Does not compute, does not compute, does...

The booing of GT was just stupid. We beat them like we knew we would. So why freaking boo? It was classless and watching the replay you could hear it loud and clear on tv. I heard plenty of drunk idiots taunting GT tailgaters before the game to a level I hadn't seen before. Buuuuut I did see GT fans attempting to burn an Iowa flag. There's good and bad, but I was disappointed in alot of Iowa fans' behavior at the OB.

Agree, GT didn't do anything the entire game to deserve a booing. They played hard the entire game, didn't do anything dirty, and lost. I would understand if it we were booing Iowa State or Minnesota, but no reason to boo GT at all.

While I don't condone the booing. GT did 2 things which I think may have made fans boo a little bit. (I thought overall they were very classy and good competition.)

Their DB on the Sandeman deep pass (cough cough interference) ran around waving his finger for about a minute proclaiming how great he was - that kind of thing always bugs fans (including me)... Greenwood, Sash, Spievey and Prater never do stuff like that.

Their comments and interviews before the game were pretty arrogant and full of comments that I could see ticking fans off. They struck me as being pretty full of themselves.

That said, I don't like the booing by Hawk fans at the end. The booing at Kinnick I have no problem with. All stadiums do it, all fanbases do it... its part of the game.

We sat in the GT section, and when their band came out and all the Iowa fans booed, they couldn't believe it. I heard several people say "who boos a marching band?". They had no idea what they were in for. Several of them were upset we stood up the whole game as well. I would say that before the game, I have never seen a fanbase as arrogant or as big a db's as the GT fan base were before the game. One guy actually cut in front of me in the line for the port o potty while tailgaiting, and then was stunned when I told him to get his *** to the back of the line. Several of their fans were taunting some of our older fanbase on the way in, but then wouldn't say anything to me or anyone young enough to defend themselves. And my buddy sitting next to me was actually slapped in the ear by a GT female fan behind us after celebrating our 2nd TD.

That may have been some reason that people booed them after the game. I honestly didn't even realize it being in the stadium, but then again, I was somewhat inebriated at that time. On the way out, I did see a lot of Hawk fans congratulating Gt fans on a good season and wishing them a good season next year.

I would agree the booing has gotten out of hand. There is no need to boo a marching band. Even after we won the Orange bowl and the announcer said lets give a hand to GT and Iowa fans started booing? Come on, why don't we start cheering when other players get taken off on stretchers like the Eagles fans did to Michael Irvin. We need to start showing some class and stop booing. Heck we even booed the Hawks when Jake was in the game. I don't care what you say booing your own team is never acceptable especially when they are students. Booing in the NFL I think is different but these kids are still in college. I think we need to show some class stop all the booing and maybe someone will come up with a thread saying why can't we be as classy as Hawk fans.

Have to disagree with the poster here. All fanbases have classless fans, Iowa and Nebraska included. I attended the Nebraska/Louisiana-Lafayette game this year with a friend wearing an Iowa/shirt hat. I was jeered by many Nebraska fans. Not only did they boo the referees on occasion but also the Rajun Cajuns at least 2 times. Who boos the Rajun Cajuns? Also as a fan who lives in NW Iowa close to the Nebraska border, I have to say the fans who live here are CLASSLESS at all times. The absolute worst losers and even worse winners on the face of the planet. I have met my share of bad Iowa fans, and to boo GT was just stupid, but to say Nebraska fans are classier is absolutely ridiculous. Just my opinion.

I boo'd the car on the field. Who brings a car to a football game? I don't care if thats their shtick. Is that the point we are talking about? Thats the only point I remember booing happening, although I was under the influence of alcohol.

I remember back in the 80's when Nebraska was getting beat by Oklahoma at Lincoln in the annual who-goes-to-the-Orange-Bowl-this-year game and in the 4th quarter some fans started throwing frozen oranges onto the field, one hitting a ref. Keith Jackson (if memory serves) commented on what a classless act that was.

Hell, we even booed the Georgia Tech BAND! That's the one that bewildered me (and most of the fans near me at the Orange Bowl). These are students just trying to support their school by playing a musical instrument and they get booed?

When did everyone become such a nancy about booing? Its apart of sports who cares.

In case you've forgotten... its called sportsmanship and being respectful to those who are giving a full and honest effort... whether you like them or not.

While I have plenty of friends (and relatives) that are Husker fans, one thing I really get tired of from them, is their arrogance toward Iowa. I think that's where this topic and talk generates from.......the school of Knowledge's arrogance.

**That being said: IOWA FANS.............stop booing the other team. Ignore them and exhort the Hawkeyes with all your lung and voice, but really, why would you boo the Wasps, as they run on to the field? Stop it!

I was also at the Orange Bowl and I was fine with the booing as they ran onto the field each time.

But when I heard our fans booing 1. their Marching Band and 2. the stadium announcer after he congratulated GT for a great season (I don't even think GT was on the field at that time), I was really confused why people would think those were good times to boo somebody?

I have been to a few Husker games in Lincoln...I think they are the only fans I have ever seen applaud a team for beating them. Including this years crazy loss to Iowa State. There they were, standing and clapping for the Clowns...

I don't really care about or if the Husker fans are classier than we are, but I was certainly disappointed the the drunken part of our fan base at the Orange Bowl. I was there and there was too much over the top behavior by Iowa fans. If you can't hold your liquor stay out in the parking lot and don't embarass yourself and the Hawks. If you want to get drunk and boo (especially your own team ) then go to Wrigley Field where it is the norm. Hawk fans should aspire to a higher standard.

In case you've forgotten... its called sportsmanship and being respectful to those who are giving a full and honest effort... whether you like them or not.

Ohh, maybe we found the answer to the boos. Did GT give a full and honest effort? Didn't look like it to me. All kidding aside, I have no problem with boos when a team comes out of the tunnel, but I really cannot see any reason for boos after the game and toward the marching band!

And no, Nebraska fans are not classier than Iowa fans. There are thousands of Husker fans down here in KC and the are downright obnoxious and at time arrogant! But, I am sure Hawk fans can be as well!

Latest posts