Huge game at Purdue

After much careful analysis of current stats and trends, my painstaking research has brought me to the conclusion that if Iowa can score more points than Purdue... we just might win.

I like where your heads at but I'll dare to be even bolder in my analysis. If I Iowa scores more than Purdue I see a definite Hawkeye win at Mackey. We could very easily could also come out a head if we give up less points then they do.

This is a game I did not have us winning. So to me a win at Mackey would be an amazing thing but not expected. That said, can't wait for the game. I feel like a crack addict this season, waiting for my next fix of Hawkeye Hoops.

If we lose tomorrow, we will have one less loss than the 12th place team.
This conference is insane. We all just want the NCAA Tournament to start do we can play some weaker competition. Then we’ll all meet back up in the Elite 8.

If we can steal this one on the road and then take care of business at home against Nebraska, we may find ourselves in first place in the B1G before the tricky slate of road games at Indiana and Minnesota. It also allows us to even out our loss to Nebraska.

Purdue is always tough at home, however this year, they have some interesting stats in B1G play:

They are the best team in the conference in offensive rebounds. Iowa is #2.
However, they are the worst team in the conference in defensive rebounds.

Kind of tells you that Purdue struggles to shoot and that their opponents dont have trouble shooting. So:

They are the worst shooting team in the B1G with regards to shooting percentage.
They are 9th best in defensive shooting percentage.

As far as other stats that stick out:

They are the worst team in the B1G in FTM's, and 2nd worst in FTA's.
They are the worst team in the conference in FT %.
3rd worst in made 3's.
3rd worst in assists.
And, Iowa and Purdue are polar opposites as far as scoring offense and defense. Iowa is the best offense and 12th on defense, and Purdue is 13th in offense and 3rd in defense.

The only other stat that sticks out as they are pretty much in the middle to bottom of the conference in the remaining noteworthy categories, is that the are the 3rd best team in the conference in turnover margin.

So, saying that, I dont think we need to do anything unique here. Garza has to stay out of foul trouble, we have to take care of the ball and shoot at an Iowa average type of game and we should win this one, barring an out-of-character offensive performance by Purdue.
How'd that work for us tonight!? I've not seen a Defensive or hustle effort that bad in 2 years. It was appalling, atrocious and embarrassing. Let's see if we play this bad in back to back games.

Translated:. Purdue sorta misses Carsen Edwards. Cline was a big role player for them too, kind of a CJ Frederick type who could get hot in tournament play.

They always seem to shoot well against us in that building. And we only seem to win there about once a decade.

This would be a good night for one of those wins. If we can win in Bloomington we can win in West Lafayette. Teams that get four (or higher)seeds are teams who can win some conference road games.
They didn't miss them tonight 19 3's says they didn't.

It was definitely a "huge game at Purdue" for Purdue. They HAD to win this and they certainly played like it.

Iowa played like a tired team that was expected to lose at Purdue.

How lucky can you get? Purdue just used up all their mojo for the rest of the year. They still gotta come to Carver and we’ll be waiting in the weeds for them. Officiating in the B1G needs to be reviewed. We were getting hacked to death out there. Now I am reminded how much hate I really have for anything Purdue. Purdue will be lucky to make the big dance because they are not as good as they looked. Name me how many teams have made 19 three’s in the last 30 years. Doesn’t happen very often. I still wanna kick Jim Bain’s ass!

They didn't miss them tonight 19 3's says they didn't.

Well, hmmm, that is as bad as it gets. Terrible effort for everyone. Purdue brought the energy and we just stood there and let them truck us. Including Fran. Honestly didnt see it coming. It didnt help that Purdue played as well as a team could play either.

So now there is their wakeup call. Are we the gritty team that has 10 quad one victories? Or are we the team that got beat at Nebraska when nobody other than the team that just stomped us has lost? I guess we will have to wait and see.

Well, hmmm, that is as bad as it gets. Terrible effort for everyone. Purdue brought the energy and we just stood there and let them truck us. Including Fran. Honestly didnt see it coming. It didnt help that Purdue played as well as a team could play either.

So now there is their wakeup call. Are we the gritty team that has 10 quad one victories? Or are we the team that got beat at Nebraska when nobody other than the team that just stomped us has lost? I guess we will have to wait and see.

I will stay with our body of work, warts and all.

Long Sigh.....

original

Latest posts