Howe's Friday 5: Patrick McCaffery, NFL Draft, B1G Bowl Projections

Um, Michigan has played there a bunch since we were last there.
We have played there once, the legendary Tate to Holloway Hail Mary in 2005.

We have played in the Outback bowl I believe six times if my math is correct.

Given that the Citeus is considered higher in the pecking order I wonder how many Northwestern losses over the years turned possible Citrus bowls into Outbacks.

Can you believe that thrilling Citrus Bowl was nearly fifteen years ago!

Last edited:
The natty titles or bust fan.
No. That’s not what I said.
Try to follow along.

Citrus. Outback. Holiday.
All interchangeable to me. I don’t care which one Iowa goes to because it all looks the same on tv.

Dude, maybe you need to become a Buckeye fan....then at least you'll be able to find happiness.
you should pay attention more instead of knee-jerking.

Try to follow. Holiday. Citrus. Outback. All on the same level to me. San Diego looks the same on tv as wherever the other two bowls in Florida are. There’s little prestige difference in those bowls.

Nah, he is a pretty positive poster, overall. He is just saying there isn't much difference between the options within that tier, especially if you don't have the resources to travel.

I don't think he is poo-pooing our bowl tier per se, though we would all like to be in the higher tier. But as @DDThompson said, it is better than the next tier down!
yes.
Exactly what I meant. Thank you.

Given that the Citeus is considered higher in the pecking order I wonder how many Northwestern losses over the years turned possible Citrus bowls into Outbacks.

I live in Orlando. They would LOVE to have us back. But, if it comes down to Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota, Penn State or Wisconsin, a LOT has to happen for B1G to "sign-off" on it. Wiscy should have to lose twice; Minnesota AND PSU or Michigan to NY6; O$U to CFP. If we go 9-3, Wisconsin loses out, Michigan loses out, PSU loses out, O$U makes CFP, Minny gets NY6 (which they should at 11-2), then we got a shot at Citrus. But even then, I'd say if PSU splits, they need to make NY6 for us to get Citrus. I don't think the NY6 is in the cards for Iowa, though.

yes.
Exactly what I meant. Thank you.

Your first post did read like you were dissing the team. As soon as 87 came to your defense I realized what you meant. It looked like you were saying you aren't going because you don't care because they aren't good enough to care. Turns out you meant you don't care because you aren't going. I agree.

Definately hard to believe. Hoping hawks make it back. If not Citrus, more than happy to go to San Diego.

Your first post did read like you were dissing the team. As soon as 87 came to your defense I realized what you meant. It looked like you were saying you aren't going because you don't care because they aren't good enough to care. Turns out you meant you don't care because you aren't going. I agree.
Then my bad and apologies to those I snapped back. I wasn’t clear.

Those bowls are 2nd tier bowls. I want the Hawks to go to the highest tier that they can. The bowls in each tier are all interchangeable to me.

But because I’m not going it doesn’t matter to me which bowl in the tier they go to because it all looks the same on tv.

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember back when the 2nd place team used to get the Holiday Bowl. It's still a 2nd tier bowl up there with Citrus and Outback.

No. That’s not what I said.
Try to follow along.

Citrus. Outback. Holiday.
All interchangeable to me. I don’t care which one Iowa goes to because it all looks the same on tv.

I am old enough to remember the days when Hayden was the greatest and Holiday Bowls were awesome. Everybody was happy.

Have you watched that #5 kid from Auburn? Brown, I think is his name. OMG. We'd need 3 guys to block him on pass plays and if we had any sort of slow developing run play there's a 99% chance he'd just take the pill out of Nate's hand. Hopefully if we draw them he won't play to protect his draft stock. I know Mississippi State had some studs on defense last year and we managed to break a couple plays and win the game. Auburn would be the same way. The rushing numbers would be dismal and our only hope to score would be on long passes with a ton of YAC.
Mississippi State had 2 first rounders on their DL and one in the secondary, and we seemed to do alright against them.

I am old enough to remember the days when Hayden was the greatest and Holiday Bowls were awesome. Everybody was happy.
Holiday is a good bowl. Iowa-Texas was a great game. San Diego is great weather all the time.

Wasn’t there a Florida bowl that it was just as cold as Iowa was? Doesn’t ever happen in SD.

Holiday is a good bowl. Iowa-Texas was a great game. San Diego is great weather all the time.

Wasn’t there a Florida bowl that it was just as cold as Iowa was? Doesn’t ever happen in SD.

Too lazy to look it up but the Texas bowl game was not the Holiday Bowl, IIRC. Freedom Bowl?

And that Florida bowl game you refer to was the Gator Bowl, thinking 1984?