Howe: What Now after Big Ten Bombshell?

Now what? First, limit a spring schedule to East and West games with a Conference championship to follow. If danger is still imminent, as it clearly is at this point, move on to the Fall of 2021. Then, give all seniors a year of eligibility with full scholarships. Those who choose to leave, best of luck, no hard feelings. Don’t require those who return to take classes, just play football if they so desire. No tuition for them.

Next, allow a full class of recruits to come in for 2021. Have a mandatory red shirt for all. When seniors move on, there will likely be room for our red shirts to begin four years of eligibility. New class for 2022. Back to the new normal.

I will not waste my time second guessing the decisions already made. What is done is done. If some BT teams decide to play on with out of conference schedules, have them re-apply for membership in 2021, with no guarantees. Decisions have consequences.

Now what? First, limit a spring schedule to East and West games with a Conference championship to follow. If danger is still imminent, as it clearly is at this point, move on to the Fall of 2021. Then, give all seniors a year of eligibility with full scholarships. Those who choose to leave, best of luck, no hard feelings. Don’t require those who return to take classes, just play football if they so desire. No tuition for them.

Next, allow a full class of recruits to come in for 2021. Have a mandatory red shirt for all. When seniors move on, there will likely be room for our red shirts to begin four years of eligibility. New class for 2022. Back to the new normal.

I will not waste my time second guessing the decisions already made. What is done is done. If some BT teams decide to play on with out of conference schedules, have them re-apply for membership in 2021, with no guarantees. Decisions have consequences.

I'm just waiting to see when the southern states fold the season. That would make a nice betting pool,almost as good as some of the games themselves. I'd say the SEC, ACC hold out until the last minute, maybe even get a game in before they pull the plug.

I'm just waiting to see when the southern states fold the season. That would make a nice betting pool,almost as good as some of the games themselves. I'd say the SEC, ACC hold out until the last minute, maybe even get a game in before they pull the plug.
There is zero chance Spring football will happen. Dangling the carrot just to pacify the fans.
I would think many colleges will end up sending students home for online learning in a month or so. Therefore, pretty much impossible to justify keeping the athletes on campus for sports.
We have to embrace the suck. Regardless of ones personal opinion, it just isn't workable at the end of the day.

I will miss B1G football. We all will. But in my case I really don't follow the NFL as close as I once did, haven't for close to twenty years. And I don't intend to change now.

But on with my autumn. I have always said that anyone who feels any emotion stronger than ephemeral disappointment over a Hawkeye loss has deeper issues. I will be disappointed for a few days, then get past it.

The people I really feel bad for, in addition to the players
and coaches themselves, are the people whose livelihoods are invested in Iowa athletics. There are tough times coming for those people.

The financial consequences have to be a major concern now. How is the university athletic dept going to pay for maintenance of the facilities, salaries, scholarships, and indebtedness. University and college communities are going to be hit hard. The impact on bars, restaurants, convenience stores and lodgings will be felt. The problems caused by decreased enrollment and students staying at home using on line classes will be felt. I would not want to be in the apartment rental business in IC or Ames.

Beyond finances the role of traditional student athlete is under siege. The legal community has found a new niche to prey on, athletic departments. Finding a means to get payment for using a player's likeness was a foot in the door. Along with that comes the concept of athletes organizing themselves collectively which we've now witnessed in the past two weeks. Universities are going to be faced with whether it remains in their mission to sponsor or host an athletic department. We are in a period of creative destruction which is beyond anyone's control.

How long will they have kids in school on campus?... I mean it's too dangerous to play sports but it's ok to have them all on campus going to classes? Since the Presidents are who make these calls wouldn't (shouldn't) that have been their first decision to be making? But no bring all the kids on campus. Make sure tuition checks clear then let em get sick and send em home.... I think we are all fooling ourselves if we think we'll see basketball or spring football either... Chalk me up to not getting my hopes up
We are all idiots

How long will they have kids in school on campus?... I mean it's too dangerous to play sports but it's ok to have them all on campus going to classes? Since the Presidents are who make these calls wouldn't (shouldn't) that have been their first decision to be making? But no bring all the kids on campus. Make sure tuition checks clear then let em get sick and send em home.... I think we are all fooling ourselves if we think we'll see basketball or spring football either... Chalk me up to not getting my hopes up
We are all idiots

Sports generate a nice chunk of revenue, but the dorms are a major cash cow for a lot of schools and they are sitting under debt obligations on the buildings and that debt's gotta get serviced. Add in the fact that Trump is requiring the school to actually be open for the foreign students to get a visa to be in the US and the schools will toss out any level of logic to chase the cash. The foreign students are paying full freight on tuition and the room. Schools like Illinois have bumped the foreign students up a bunch and they're siphoning $50k a year out of those rich kids from China. I suspect that their leadership realizes that if you tell a kid in China "hey, go ahead and just cut us the check for $33k for tuition and then join classes at 4 in the morning your time" they're gonna have a lot of people telling them to F right off.

If they do play football in the Spring and that's a big IF, I could see a schedule of 8 Big Ten conference games. 6 against the division and 2 cross-division.

Maybe start in late March and finish right before memorial day. CCG first sat in June.

Budget shortfalls won’t hurt football and men’s basketball. Iowa could very well lose some non-revenue sports.

My kid started school today (there are 6 schools in the area that I know of starting today); I'll have plenty of questions for him this afternoon on how it went and what he's seeing.

He's an 8th grader and junior high football practice will be starting next Tuesday. I talked to our AD last night and he said the plan is for all MS and HS fall sports to continue as planned.

I hope you're wearing pit mitts or some other suitable gloves when you type up such hot takes.
He's right, though.

Because both football and basketball aren't happening, I see a very real possibility that Iowa sports will consist in the future of football, MBB, wrestling, and WBB. Along with just enough women's programs to satisfy numbers needed for Title IX.

A lot of colleges and schools are starting up now and some are in person. If I were a betting man, I would expect that very few of the in person schools end the semester that way.

I have turned my worry to whether our Top 5 MBB will have a season.....

My kid started school today (there are 6 schools in the area that I know of starting today); I'll have plenty of questions for him this afternoon on how it went and what he's seeing.

He's an 8th grader and junior high football practice will be starting next Tuesday. I talked to our AD last night and he said the plan is for all MS and HS fall sports to continue as planned.
Interesting... Hope it goes better then what's going on in GA... The news is making quite the spectacle of what's going on down there.

He's right, though.

Because both football and basketball aren't happening, I see a very real possibility that Iowa sports will consist in the future of football, MBB, wrestling, and WBB. Along with just enough women's programs to satisfy numbers needed for Title IX.

They'll keep rowing. That's a big roster.

I'd like to see a division only schedule in the spring and an expanded playoff. 2 from each division would be cool. Give the Big 12 a total of 4.

Interesting... Hope it goes better then what's going on in GA... The news is making quite the spectacle of what's going on down there.
Our class sizes are pretty small, the max he has in any of his classes is 11 according to his home room teacher at open house the other night. They've also eliminated indoors PE completely and turned the gym floor/auditorium into very spread out classrooms with portable walls (they look to me to be like 10' tall).The gym is divided into six classrooms, and each one has a hallway made out of those walls that leads to a particular "classroom." That door is only for that one room, i.e. it's not a free for all of kids piling into the gym and scattering to the room they need to be in. I'm pretty cynical but even I was seriously impressed. Everything is staggered on the schedule to allow only one class in the halls at one time, and kids don't mix classes unless someone leaves for resource room, special learning classes etc. So if your kid has 10 people in his first period, those 10 kids go from reading to math, to LA, to science, etc. all as a group.

We have a relatively small 2A school, I'm sure bigger districts can't do that shit because they have way too many kids.

One thing I thought was cool was that (if the parents and students are OK with it) the kids doing distance learning will have a laptop set up at an empty desk with their face on screen from the Zoom link so the teacher can see their face. They can raise their hand and ask questions and stuff as if they were in school.

Latest posts