Howe: Tough Decision for Iowa’s Akrum Wadley

NFL will tell him the same thing as Iowa has tried to tell him. You need to put on more muscle. Will he actually listen to the NFL teams when they tell him that? He doesn't listen to Iowa. The kid has some amazing moves but a lot of that stuff won't fly in the NFL, especially at his weight. Look at what Reggie Bush was able to do to defenders in college and then look at his NFL career and Bush was a far more talented and bigger back. I think he is probably listening to the wrong people. He would be wise to listen to the coaches, especially Kirk as he can get actual feedback from some NFL guys, where as his people will have agents in their ears telling him just what they want to hear.

NFL will tell him the same thing as Iowa has tried to tell him. You need to put on more muscle. Will he actually listen to the NFL teams when they tell him that? He doesn't listen to Iowa. The kid has some amazing moves but a lot of that stuff won't fly in the NFL, especially at his weight. Look at what Reggie Bush was able to do to defenders in college and then look at his NFL career and Bush was a far more talented and bigger back. I think he is probably listening to the wrong people. He would be wise to listen to the coaches, especially Kirk as he can get actual feedback from some NFL guys, where as his people will have agents in their ears telling him just what they want to hear.

You might be right but you're speculating. You don't know what you're saying to be fact.

Ferentz talking to Wadley would be no different than an agent talking to him, they're just trying to sell a different product. In what reality do you think Kirk Ferentz would tell a junior to hop ship to the NFL, if it was in his best interest?

If Wadley can get an upper-mid round spot with a big signing bonus he'd be stupid not to do it.

Time will tell if what you say is true. One thing is most certainly true in the NFL is speed and power.. see that every Sunday. Man those boys can bring the wood!!

IMO Akrum has some sneaky power, watching him this last month or more has convinced me that he could definitely of handled the every down duties at Iowa. Hs elusiveness is crazy and just awesome to watch. My fingers are crossed he returns and if he does HE BETTER BE THE EVERYDOWN BACK.

This is his 4th year at Iowa. I wonder if he's earning a degree in the spring?

Either way, if I was advising him, I'd say go. The only reason for him to stay is to finish a degree. For the people who laugh at that and say "he can always come back and get it", the % of athletes who leave school and come back to get a degree very small. With a degree he has a backup plan because his chances of a successful NFL career are also very small. Nothing against him, just common sense. NFL RBs are a dime a dozen.

I think Wadley's best chance for success at the next level is returning punts and kicks. Maybe he can be an effective third down back in the right offense. He has the skills but not the size to be a feature back in the NFL.

If he's considered a top 5 back now, he should go. He's not going to improve on that by coming back. Even with a huge senior season, he's going to still be considered too small and he'll be 23 - which is older than most draft picks.

I'd love to see him return, but I'd advise him to go cash in while he has the chance.

LOL, Doyle has him conditioning exactly how he wants to. You don't think he "listens" to the plan Doyle has for him and just does his own random workouts? The whole team has a specific plan, every player/every position.
Everyone's body type is different, you don't just snap your fingers and put on more muscle/weight. It isn't that easy for everyone. Just like it is harder for some to lose weight and be skinnier by their body type.

I think Wadley's best chance for success at the next level is returning punts and kicks. Maybe he can be an effective third down back in the right offense. He has the skills but not the size to be a feature back in the NFL.

If he's considered a top 5 back now, he should go. He's not going to improve on that by coming back. Even with a huge senior season, he's going to still be considered too small and he'll be 23 - which is older than most draft picks.

I'd love to see him return, but I'd advise him to go cash in while he has the chance.

Average NFL Career of a RB is what...3 years? Agreed, Definitely take the money when you can, only have so many years in the body to play that position.

Average NFL Career of a RB is what...3 years? Agreed, Definitely take the money when you can, only have so many years in the body to play that position.

The thing is, playing another year at Iowa probably won't affect how many years he plays in the NFL, unless he gets hurt of course. If he gets 3 years by leaving this year, he would more than likely still get 3 years if he stays.

Some people love the college experience and some don't. That is the only real factor here. I bet he can't wait to get out after 3 years of being dissed by Kirk every chance he gets.

The thing is, playing another year at Iowa probably won't affect how many years he plays in the NFL, unless he gets hurt of course. If he gets 3 years by leaving this year, he would more than likely still get 3 years if he stays.

Some people love the college experience and some don't. That is the only real factor here. I bet he can't wait to get out after 3 years of being dissed by Kirk every chance he gets.

He seems to enjoy college. I would think he didn't like not starting and not getting more carries.

Rob. You deserve to be commended. This is some fine journalism. DAMN fine. You made a few points that really cut to the bone.

It raises a good question of what the heck happens to the running game if he leaves. My question to you, have you heard anything recently about Sam Cook's progression at running back. Some of the people I know who have seen him play say he reminds them of old "Bowling Ball" Wheeler at tailback, but with more top-end speed. Do you have any thoughts on whether or not he enters the mix?

Rob. You deserve to be commended. This is some fine journalism. DAMN fine. You made a few points that really cut to the bone.

It raises a good question of what the heck happens to the running game if he leaves. My question to you, have you heard anything recently about Sam Cook's progression at running back. Some of the people I know who have seen him play say he reminds them of old "Bowling Ball" Wheeler at tailback, but with more top-end speed. Do you have any thoughts on whether or not he enters the mix?
You kid, but you tell the truth at the same time. :(

I think AW is a third rounder whether it is this year or next because he is just not an every down NFL back, Could see him going late third this year like CJ Prosise last year (3rd back taken). His contract is as follows:

Four-year, $3.11 million contract. The deal included a $692,464 signing bonus.
2016: $450,000, 2017: $565,000, 2018: $660,000, 2019: $745,000

I hate to say it, but if there is no real shot at major money...I would take it now.

Latest posts