Howe: Thoughts & Observations from an Unfortunate Day in Iowa Athletics

What qualifies for the distinction of "good man"?

Dont know either. One from a distance seems to do the right things in public to lead one to think he is.

The other guy from a distance doesnt seem to do the qualifying things.

He serms to do the things a public coach would do to not qualify. Not saying he's not a good man. Just not seeing what he does to deserve that.

Role model for kids?

Dont know either. One from a distance seems to do the right things in public to lead one to think he is.

He serms to do the things a public coach would do to not qualify. Not saying he's not a good man. Just not seeing what he does to deserve that.

Role model for kids?
I don't consider myself that good of a man, and I can't recall ever telling someone he or she was a motherfucker or a disgrace (at least not to the person's face). I have called someone a cheater, however.

Role model for kids?

Been under the weather and have had to work today. Not interested in debating this with you. We've covered this ground already.

Judge others however you want. You don't speak for everyone, however. You speak for yourself.

I figure we’re all flawed. But the feeling to me is that one acknowledges it more than the other. And one seems to have his ego more in check than the other.

Dolph just seems so much more sincere than Fran.

And fire Barta. Just gotta throw that in.

I gotta say, Dolph won't be back next year if one Irish man or anyone who decides they want to be offended for Irish Men want to write a letter about Dolph's "Irish temper" comment.

He said he is going to be more careful but cant even finish the interview without saying something that someone can decide is offensive. That's not a knock on Dolph at all. That's just me saying the standard is impossible to meet now.

Everyone knew the King Kong comparison (that he admitted he uses all the time) was completely fine to use.....until it wasn't. Everyone knows Irish people give two shits about the temper stereotype....until one person does. If we are going to constantly move the goal posts on what's acceptable and what's not (which is fine if we do) cant we at least give people a day or so to adjust to the new rule that just got put into place?

Been under the weather and have had to work today. Not interested in debating this with you. We've covered this ground already.

Judge others however you want. You don't speak for everyone, however. You speak for yourself.

Last yime you said the same thing. There was no ducussion.

Judgings means passing sentence. We all maked decisions of opinion everyday. He's a man with flaws like the rest of us.

You put it out he is good. Ik what? Never said bad. We sal know a good one when we see it.

Humility and self control come to mind. Thinking of others....

You judged him as good. What is it you see?

I thought the first press conference was a success. It's just too bad Barta's silence made it necessary. I respect Dolph more than ever.

The second press conference almost made things worse. McCaffrey still seems to see himself as the victim. Barta just seems to be in over his head.

I gotta say, Dolph won't be back next year if one Irish man or anyone who decides they want to be offended for Irish Men want to write a letter about Dolph's "Irish temper" comment.

He said he is going to be more careful but cant even finish the interview without saying something that someone can decide is offensive. That's not a knock on Dolph at all. That's just me saying the standard is impossible to meet now.

Everyone knew the King Kong comparison (that he admitted he uses all the time) was completely fine to use.....until it wasn't. Everyone knows Irish people give two shits about the temper stereotype....until one person does. If we are going to constantly move the goal posts on what's acceptable and what's not (which is fine if we do) cant we at least give people a day or so to adjust to the new rule that just got put into place?

I didn't realize Dolph was Irish. Where in Ireland is he from? He has a great American accent. I'm impressed.

Before anyone else makes comments on the Dolph situation you may want to read Chad L.'s article about this situation. It makes a lot of sense and is sensitively written with good insight and nuance on a difficult topic If you want to continue to hate on everyone you can think of, don't bother. Its over your head.

Before anyone else makes comments on the Dolph situation you may want to read Chad L.'s article about this situation. It makes a lot of sense and is sensitively written with good insight and nuance on a difficult topic If you want to continue to hate on everyone you can think of, don't bother. Its over your head.
Chad Leistikow drools all over himself at the site of an Iowa coach. I'm not surprised that you enjoy his work.

I hate that they changed a rule after the fact and punished someone for breaking the rule that wasnt a rule yet. It's like if they lowered the speed limit on the interstate to 60 then gave everyone speeding tickets that was on the road the day before.

If they want to add King Kong to the growing list of things you cant say, then fine. But punishing Dolph for saying it 2 days before it got added to the list would be like punishing Fry, or Dan Patrick, or any of the hundreds of other people who have used that comparison for saying it in the past. In fact, Dolph is a self reported repeated offender of saying it. He didnt just say it once. He said it repeatedly. The punishment should be even more harsh for repeatedly saying something in the past that has now become wrong.

I wonder if all the racist crap about the godzilla comment affected the referee in the Ohio State game. The guy was black and believe it or not there are black racists.

The way I see it there is a severe lack of leadership at the U of I. A leadership vacuum. This is why it has been an absolute shitshow this past week and this starts at the top. Bruce Harreld was handpicked by Bruce Rastetter (Uncle Bruce), the President of the Board of Regents at the time, who has spent his entire career pushing Republican agendas and supporting Republican candidates. Read his bio, he is proud of this, but he also works in the shadows and has had some some ethical lapses himself with his agribusiness ventures. Rastetter did his best to circumvent the law re open meetings allowing him to place Harreld in the presidency at Iowa. Harreld a man who misrepresented his resume and career during our "search".

Harreld had NEVER been a university administrator. Of ANY kind. Think about that for a second. He worked as a business professor but most of his career was spent in corporate America before coming to Iowa. Pretty much common knowledge that Harreld was selected so he might find new sources of revenue and not make waves when funding was slashed to the state's three universities by a Republican controlled legislature. You know the anti-education party.

So everyone agrees that Barta's incompetence is obvious. Correct? Well don't expect Barta to be called to the mat anytime soon. Harreld isn't calling the shots. And even if he were what would he do?

And all you folks who like to blame liberals and the "PC" crowd for all of society's woes, specifically the suspension involving Dolph? Where was this "PC" mob calling for Dolph's head? There wasn't one.

Think about this. Those in power at the state level and at the U of I, those actually calling the shots, are NOT liberals. The Board of Regents is comprised of one Democrat and five Republicans and three "Independents".

You really think Bruce Rastetter was going to handpick a liberal president?

Last edited:
My thoughts on listening to the conference:

Dolph’s press conference was total BS. Dolphin only said what he had to say to keep the angry mob muted. The only thing that really needed to be addressed was why Dolphin apologized in the 1st place?

Barta’s tone completely changed from the 1st press conference to the 2nd. How is Fran’s comment about his Irishman’s temper not viewed by anyone as racist? Fran said this within the same hour of Dolphin apologizing. I love Fran. He didn’t seem genuine. Still love the man though. Gary Barta’s tone sounded like Fran’s entire press conference was a waste of time.

That’s it. I am out. Go Hawks.

Is Barta going to make Fran take a positivity course?

Hope it includes a section on primates. Chimps, baboons, gorillas are all pretty "strong, powerful, intimidating, dominating" animals that deserve equal references. How do you think they feel about that attribute only being recognized if you're a gigantic, building-climbing, plane-swatting ape with a fetish for miniature white women?

It's been an intentional disparagement throughout the eons of evolution and especially vicious ever since the 30's. A grotesque oversight in this whole situation.

Latest posts