Howe: Setting the Record Straight on Oliver Martin

Jeebus Rob, did you even read my post?? I clearly and plainly stated that I DID NOT agree with them. And I said it twice. But people can have different points of view and I understand where they are coming from.

In my post, which you obviously didn't read I said: "I don't really agree with him, but I understand his take." I also said, "As a fan I welcome OM to the team." So no, I'm not in your vast minority of fans. I'm actually with you on this one.
But you wouldn't know that cause you didn't read my post through, and you refuse to listen to a podcast which will give an opposing point of view.

I've seen you complain about the negative vibe of this forum before. When you lump people into a "minority of fans" without reading their posts, and put down former players because you don't agree with them, you are contributing to the negative vibe.

Its a message board. People can't seem to disagree well on message boards and accept that others have different opinions. Throw in that some people think their opinions are fact and it makes the situation more negative.

And I vehemently disagree with you for lumping me in with those I clearly don't agree with.

You know, it's funny, when I say I understand what he's saying, it means I justify his comments. But when you say you understand his comments, oh that's different. :rolleyes:

I try to understand other's POV. Doesn't mean i agree with it. I agree with you Rob and your comments on OM. I apologize for the snark. That's part of my schtick around here.

I don't agree with Kulick. But I understand what he's saying. He's a former Hawkeye and knows the program culture in ways you and I never will.

Peace out.

There's a difference in saying you see why someone said something, as I did, and saying someone is justified in saying it. You are justifying what the walk-ons are saying and coming across as someone who thinks what they say is justified. I don't think it's a justified point of view. You're playing both sides of the fence, and that's why I lumped you in with them.

I saw Kulick's tweet, and while I understand why he tweeted it, it's nonsense. I see his perspective and it's a view that's in the vast minority. And, trust me, I would tell Drake that if he was in front of me right now. I know the guy. It's a horrible take.

You finish your initial post on this topic with...But please, don't take Howe's word for it. Listen to the latest edition of the Washed Up Walk-ons podcast. It's hilarious and very interesting. It might give you a different perspective. And that's not something to proclaim as "wrong."

Couple that with how you started your post, and you should be able to understand my reaction.

There's a difference in saying you see why someone said something, as I did, and saying someone is justified in saying it. You are justifying what the walk-ons are saying and coming across as someone who thinks what they say is justified. I don't think it's a justified point of view. You're playing both sides of the fence, and that's why I lumped you in with them.

I saw Kulick's tweet, and while I understand why he tweeted it, it's nonsense. I see his perspective and it's a view that's in the vast minority. And, trust me, I would tell Drake that if he was in front of me right now. I know the guy. It's a horrible take.

You finish your initial post on this topic with...But please, don't take Howe's word for it. Listen to the latest edition of the Washed Up Walk-ons podcast. It's hilarious and very interesting. It might give you a different perspective. And that's not something to proclaim as "wrong."

Couple that with how you started your post, and you should be able to understand my reaction.

I absolutely am playing both sides of the fence. I understand that there is more than one justified point of view. Just because you and I think we are right, doesn't make everyone else wrong.

When the latest episode of Washed Up Walk-ons started, I thought, there is no way Kulick will be able to explain what he said. But, by golly, by the time he finished, I thought, hmmm....I never thought of it in that light. I can see why he thinks that. I don't agree with it, but I've never played D1 football.

I still urge you and others to give it a listen.

Its a message board. People can't seem to disagree well on message boards and accept that others have different opinions. Throw in that some people think their opinions are fact and it makes the situation more negative.

Some (by that I mean too many) posters here have a tendency to contradict their own posts by taking positions on both sides of the fence. It's a transparent tactic designed to allow them to comment, and then use a disclaimer to defend weak logic.

Here is how most posts go, "I'm the biggest fan of so and so there is, but . . . ". That's how a beaten dog posts. Virtue signal, then the harsh substance. Time for men to be men and live with the consequences of their thoughts and actions.

Last edited:
I didn't say it was worthless; I wouldn't have gotten my job without it, and I like my job.

I said it was easy.

Didn't say it was worthless, said it was almost worthless. And, yeah, fairly easy.

But you get a bach in anything and it does mean something I guess.

Some (by that I mean too many) posters here have a tendency to contradict their own posts by taking positions on both sides of the fence. It's a transparent tactic designed to allow them to comment, and then use a disclaimer to defend weak logic.

Here is how most posts go, "I'm the biggest fan of KF/Fran/etc. there is, but . . . ". That's how a beaten dog posts. Virtue signal, then the harsh substance. Time for men to be men and live with the consequences of their thoughts and actions.

Or it could be that many realize that there are shades of gray in the world. Acknowledging points and providing counters is how discussion is supposed to work. If there is a topic and you don't know exactly how you feel about it yet, nothing wrong with getting some of the conflicting ideas out of your head and into words. Others can provide feedback, you reach a better understanding, objective achieved.

These boards are not a competition, as far as I know there is no award for "strongest take." My philosophy is as long as someone isn't spewing objective lies or acting like an ass at every turn, to each their own.

Here is how most posts go, "I'm the biggest fan of KF/Fran/etc. there is, but . . . ". That's how a beaten dog posts. Virtue signal, then the harsh substance. Time for men to be men and live with the consequences of their thoughts and actions.

And sometimes there's more than two sides. So you're not trying to play both sides, you just have different opinions than both "sides" that are taking shape. I don't always see it as a line in the sand.

For example, I don't with what Drake said. I thought it was kinda funny but Martin could turn out to be a very good player for Iowa. We'll have to wait and see. It will certainly help if he can't get the waiver to play in 2019. But I completely disagree with Rob saying his twitter post was "nonsense". Its his opinion and he's entitled to speak it.

Different example: I agree with Rob and many posters who are glad Martin is at Iowa and see the potential. He's got a lot of ground to make up and he's not going against chumps. Iowa's top 4 WR could be good. Again here's where the waiver comes in. RS means he's not getting reps in Iowa's offense, he's likely on scout team helping D get ready. Waiver means he's getting Iowa's offense reps and not falling further behind Iowa's current top 4.

I don't agree with Rob that Martin didn't leave due to playing time/depth chart placement at Michigan. I believe he knew he was Michigan's 4th or 5th WR. That's just my opinion. Its based on Peoples-Jones, Collins, & Black have all produced more than Martin at Michigan while all being there the same amount of time. In Black's case he's produced more despite playing in 4 less games.

Does anyone have any idea when we'll hear back on Martin's waiver decision? Or is it a Ferentz "you'll know when we tell you" kinda thing?

I'm hearing mixed notes from Hawkeye Nation sources:
Howe Reports that the “being buried on the depth chart” narrative rings hollow"
Deace on the Podcast starting at the 5:38 mark says "he would have been the 5 or 6th wide receiver" and "he's kind of a tweener in our(Michigan's) offense now..."

Which one is it? Or is it a little of both?

Does anyone have any idea when we'll hear back on Martin's waiver decision? Or is it a Ferentz "you'll know when we tell you" kinda thing?

Should be by 3 weeks from time app filed. Could be more or less depending on how busy they are. I wouldn't think very busy this time of year, but who knows it is vacation season.

I'm hearing mixed notes from Hawkeye Nation sources:
Howe Reports that the “being buried on the depth chart” narrative rings hollow"
Deace on the Podcast starting at the 5:38 mark says "he would have been the 5 or 6th wide receiver" and "he's kind of a tweener in our(Michigan's) offense now..."

Which one is it? Or is it a little of both?

Deace is a Michigan fan. He's going to offer information that makes Michigan look better. He doesn't know where OM stood in terms of the depth chart.

Deace is a Michigan fan. He's going to offer information that makes Michigan look better. He doesn't know where OM stood in terms of the depth chart.

Don't listen to a thing Deace says about Michigan. He once said Devon Gardner was a first round draft choice...that should tell you all you need to know about his delusion with Michigan. How did the revenge tour end last year, Deace?
Michigan was just all "revenged out" by the time they got to Ohio State huh.

Former Iowa players bagging on an Iowa kid is just wrong. I've seen alot of press leading up to his Michigan commitment and alot of things said about him on the recruiting trail...not once did I hear he was full of himself or arrogant. If Kulick is all butthurt about him...he needs to get over it and stop the negativity. As far as I'm concerned...he could have stayed at Michigan and transferred next year without sitting...tells you something if you let go of your butthurtedness.

Kulick needs to man up and apologize. Martin seems like a character kid to me...and a good fit.

You almost wonder if he didn't say it just for the publicity. Hos name is coming up a lot lately. Gotta be good for the podcast.

Latest posts