Howe: Setting the Record Straight on Oliver Martin

There's speculation out there that Martin already lost his case a few weeks back and it's now in the appeal phase....similar to what happened to Ott....which is why we haven't heard anything....

Looks like he should be eligible to play this year since Iowa transfer Josh Turner won his case to play immediately at FIU. They had another kid that won his case as well.

If Martin wins his waiver request, they might as well just throw out the rule that transfers need to sit out a year. Because I have not heard a single reason why Martin should get a waiver, unless there are private matters that have not been made public.

There's speculation out there that Martin already lost his case a few weeks back and it's now in the appeal phase....similar to what happened to Ott....which is why we haven't heard anything....
I’ve also seen speculation that’s he’s already won and they haven’t released that information yet. That’s why they call it speculation I suppose.

If Martin wins his waiver request, they might as well just throw out the rule that transfers need to sit out a year. Because I have not heard a single reason why Martin should get a waiver, unless there are private matters that have not been made public.
His case was that the position coach and offensive coordinator he committed to at Michigan both left. The new coaches that were hired are more of a spread system. People have had waivers granted for less, but there is no way of really knowing.

As of Tuesday night, Iowa had not received any decision on Martin.

That's the last time I looked into it. We have media day tomorrow.

They really just need to allow each player one transfer without sitting out. Any additional transfers can be reviewed.

Agreed. Every player should be allowed one transfer (as long as its not in-season) and still be eligible immediately.

They really just need to allow each player one transfer without sitting out. Any additional transfers can be reviewed.
Would make sense to give an athlete one transfer without sitting out. These are 17 - 21 year old kids when they make their initial decision. Coaches don't have to sit out a year when they change teams. Neither do ADs, administrators, politicians or people in the business world. It's really just another way for the NCAA and the institutions to "own" the athlete and his/her revenue stream IMO.

Would make sense to give an athlete one transfer without sitting out. These are 17 - 21 year old kids when they make their initial decision. Coaches don't have to sit out a year when they change teams. Neither do ADs, administrators, politicians or people in the business world. It's really just another way for the NCAA and the institutions to "own" the athlete and his/her revenue stream IMO.

What if Bama came and recruited players on your team based on their needs to fill?

What if Bama came and recruited players on your team based on their needs to fill?

The same could be said about any team and including Iowa.. What if Iowa did that for recruits they had relationships with before the original school choice was made and a coaching change was made at that school? Is that unfair, I don't know if I have an answer to that but should the kids be punished for that one time?

In the world of pro sports that would be considered "tampering" and that's a whole separate issue. NCAA already has rules in place to prevent that. All teams would continue to wait to contact until the kid enters the transfer portal. Actually a team like Bama would have more to lose than gain. They are filled with 4* and 5* kids languishing on their bench who would be more likely to transfer if they were not required to sit out.

In the world of pro sports that would be considered "tampering" and that's a whole separate issue. NCAA already has rules in place to prevent that. All teams would continue to wait to contact until the kid enters the transfer portal. Actually a team like Bama would have more to lose than gain. They are filled with 4* and 5* kids languishing on their bench who would be more likely to transfer if they were not required to sit out.

Haha. No back door communications. Right.......................

The same could be said about any team and including Iowa.. What if Iowa did that for recruits they had relationships with before the original school choice was made and a coaching change was made at that school? Is that unfair, I don't know if I have an answer to that but should the kids be punished for that one time?

Sure, everyone would do it to one degree or another. Some likely more than others.

Looks like he should be eligible to play this year since Iowa transfer Josh Turner won his case to play immediately at FIU. They had another kid that won his case as well.

And of course, U$C kid who left Florida--then committed to Oregon--after originally spurning U$C for Florida!--got his immediate eligibility waiver, as well.

Latest posts