Howe: Sad to See the End of Iowa Playing Drake, UNI

I remember the treatment that UNI gave the Hawkeye fans, coaches, and players in the dome back in the day and hoped we would never schedule them again.
I believe it was the last time Iowa played at the dome.

Big Four Classic comes to an end on Saturday:

LINK
tenor.gif

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the bigger picture but hasn't Iowa and Iowa State openly offered playing both MVC programs annually on their home floors just not on the road? Maybe they haven't since before the Hy-Vee Classic came about but I'm pretty certain that was the case years back before they came up with the Des Moines games solution.

If that's still the case, I have a feeling they'll be back on the schedule eventually. With the bulk of both UNI and Drake normally filled with Iowa athletes that were not offered by the bigger schools, they'll want to take it to them on the Big Ten/12 floors. The UNI and Drake ADs will eventually cave once they realize they won't get the bigger boys back in their gyms but playing at the big boys gyms is great marketing for their programs and a chance to play on national television... well the BTN anyways. :)

Now if we could only do this in football with the clowns.....
I think Iowa / Iowa State should be every other year. It would benefit both programs and keep Iowa from scheduling paralysis. Additionally, every class that stayed a full four or five years would have a crack at Kinnick and at the other place. Not gonna happen, but it should.

I think Iowa / Iowa State should be every other year. It would benefit both programs and keep Iowa from scheduling paralysis. Additionally, every class that stayed a full four or five years would have a crack at Kinnick and at the other place. Not gonna happen, but it should.

I would take an even more arrogant stance with them. If we had to play them, it would be once every three years and only at Kinnick. Why do them any financial favors playing in Ames. Historically we own this series, it is a non-conference game, so we should be able to decide what we want to do with it. I think we can do so much better nationally be scheduling someone other than Iowa St every year.

Not the end of the world. I enjoy seeing Iowa play Drake and UNI. And truth be told, I liked the home and home with those schools. I do understand that's very uncommon. I can't think of Power 5 schools that play the mid-majors in their states home and home. I'm sure there has to be a few.

I would take an even more arrogant stance with them. If we had to play them, it would be once every three years and only at Kinnick. Why do them any financial favors playing in Ames. Historically we own this series, it is a non-conference game, so we should be able to decide what we want to do with it. I think we can do so much better nationally be scheduling someone other than Iowa St every year.

I used to think that way, but lately I've started coming to the conclusion that ISU may be our toughest OOC game on the schedule. Would we really replace them with a team with a pulse?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the bigger picture but hasn't Iowa and Iowa State openly offered playing both MVC programs annually on their home floors just not on the road? Maybe they haven't since before the Hy-Vee Classic came about but I'm pretty certain that was the case years back before they came up with the Des Moines games solution.

If that's still the case, I have a feeling they'll be back on the schedule eventually. With the bulk of both UNI and Drake normally filled with Iowa athletes that were not offered by the bigger schools, they'll want to take it to them on the Big Ten/12 floors. The UNI and Drake ADs will eventually cave once they realize they won't get the bigger boys back in their gyms but playing at the big boys gyms is great marketing for their programs and a chance to play on national television... well the BTN anyways. :)

They haven't had Iowa or ISU in their gyms for over 7 years.......UNI has had leaps and bounds more success in the NCAA in the last 20 years than the Hawks have so they don't NEED anything on national recognition plane. What both teams need more over anything is $. Lets get rid of these games so our Hawks can play another Campbell at home or some shit Citadel in front of 3k people. PASS.

They haven't had Iowa or ISU in their gyms for over 7 years.......UNI has had leaps and bounds more success in the NCAA in the last 20 years than the Hawks have so they don't NEED anything on national recognition plane. What both teams need more over anything is $. Lets get rid of these games so our Hawks can play another Campbell at home or some shit Citadel in front of 3k people. PASS.

That's factually not true FWIW. Iowa and UNI both have 7 NCAA appearances in the last 20 years, with both of them having 1 Sweet 16. Iowa actually has more tourney wins in that time span as well. FWIW. I get what you mean tho, they are a much smaller school and Iowa should be WAY better.

That's factually not true FWIW. Iowa and UNI both have 7 NCAA appearances in the last 20 years, with both of them having 1 Sweet 16. Iowa actually has more tourney wins in that time span as well. FWIW. I get what you mean tho, they are a much smaller school and Iowa should be WAY better.

Okay only because of 1999 I forgot about that year.

Moreover UNI has been invited 7 times since 00 and have 4 wins, Iowa only 5 plus a "play in game year" with 3 wins.

People remember UNI for beating Kansas, What are we remembered for?? Northwestern State :mad::confused:

Not the end of the world. I enjoy seeing Iowa play Drake and UNI. And truth be told, I liked the home and home with those schools. I do understand that's very uncommon. I can't think of Power 5 schools that play the mid-majors in their states home and home. I'm sure there has to be a few.

Indiana with Butler is the only other that comes to mind...

Indiana with Butler is the only other that comes to mind...

Actually, the 4 Indiana schools (Notre Dame, Purdue, Indiana, and Butler) do the same thing as the HyVee Classic every year in the CrossRoads Classic. They have done that since 2011. This year it is Indiana-Butler and Purdue-ND. Last year was Purdue-Butler and Indiana-ND. This was designed to replicate the Hoosier Classic which dates back to the 40s.

Actually, the 4 Indiana schools (Notre Dame, Purdue, Indiana, and Butler) do the same thing as the HyVee Classic every year in the CrossRoads Classic. They have done that since 2011. This year it is Indiana-Butler and Purdue-ND. Last year was Purdue-Butler and Indiana-ND. This was designed to replicate the Hoosier Classic which dates back to the 40s.

So the CrossRoads Classic is also doomed?

UNI and Jacobsen also with what most regard as the biggest meltdown in NCAA tourney history against Texas A&M in 2016.

I’m good with continuing Drake and UNI at Carver every year with B1G refs.

Consider expansion of B1G schedule, Thanksgiving tourney, and ACC challenge and the need to make $ from home games in Dec.

Moreover UNI has been invited 7 times since 00 and have 4 wins, Iowa only 5 plus a "play in game year" with 3 wins.

People remember UNI for beating Kansas, What are we remembered for?? Northwestern State :mad::confused:

I don't argue that, IMO UNI has been better and that should never happen when you compare the school sizes, recruiting etc, was just setting ya straight. Either way, 7 to 6 and 4 to 3 isn't exactly "leaps and bounds" better than Iowa. They've been good for a mid major. Iowa has been bad for a P5. I remember UNI for their epic melt down loss to A&M - and obviously, Iowa is remembered for Woody's tip in. ..... I couldn't even type that with a straight face.

Had UNI not lost after being up 10 with about a minute left a couple years ago, they would have made to to re sweet 16 2 times in that span. Iowa has not been a good postseason team the last 20 years.

Back to the topic now. I do hope UNI is willing to come to Iowa City in the future. It makes no sense for Iowa to go to UNI to play a home and home. I will miss playing UNI but I won't miss having to play at UNI.

Latest posts