Howe: Much on the Line in Working Out Ferentz’s Final Deal

I am good with a one year rolling extension as long as it provides for adequate increases for assistant coaches as well. I would love to see more money spent to make sure we keep and attract the best assistants we can.

I wouldn't mind seeing a two year opt out clause on KF's side, as in he has to give two years notice. This will help to ensure a smoother transition and allow them to line up the best coach to replace him. Granted there needs to be a health clause on this to protect Kirk, no one wants to see him coaching if he medically should not because of a contract.

Good point on the assistants.

I have a feeling that KF is going to be less concerned with how much money he's making and length of the extension. I think he's going to want to take care of his assistant and secure other things that will help the program.

I hope Barta weights the contract with an emphasis on post-season results. Kirk has lost 4 consecutive bowl games. That's one of those "firsts" you don't want on your resume. And I fully and happily acknowledge that the bowl drought has not affected recruiting.

1. Kirk is a financial genius. His ensures that contract negotiations occur at the conclusion of superlative seasons.
2. Lessons from seasons past indicate that Kirk when distracted by non-field related things (even in the offseason) delivers crappy w-l records. I just hope they wrap this up asap.

All said, I'm not bagging on Kirk -- he is a good fit for Iowa.

1. Kirk is a financial genius. His ensures that contract negotiations occur at the conclusion of superlative seasons.
2. Lessons from seasons past indicate that Kirk when distracted by non-field related things (even in the offseason) delivers crappy w-l records. I just hope they wrap this up asap.

I wouldn't say he's a genius. He's happened to have enough good to really good seasons for the university to want to keep him. He had the 2010-2014 mediocre stretch where the contract kept Iowa from removing him.

Barta doesn't need to pull out all the stops with this one. The school has been very good to KF, and him to the school. Work something out that allows KF to finish at Iowa if the level of performance continues, while not saddling Iowa to some huge buyout.

I agree. Barta doesn't need to pull out all the stops. He has more leverage, I think. But these could be tricky negotiations. I'm hoping both sides can find common ground to satisfy a great coach and the program/school.

I would speculate that this contract negotiation is one of the least contentious of like negotiations and all, if not most, are honorable individuals sitting at the table.

IMHO, I have no concerns with what the final outcome will look like.

I agree. Barta doesn't need to pull out all the stops. He has more leverage, I think. But these could be tricky negotiations. I'm hoping both sides can find common ground to satisfy a great coach and the program/school.

I would agree to this, but i do not know how Brian Ferentz factors in. This is definitely a tricky negotiation. I do not think either side has leverage it is more of " I can give you this, if you can give me that" type of negotiation.

Boy, Iowa administration really doesn't learn from the past do they? Kirk puts up one good season and they're anxious to extend his contract. Sound familiar? A lot of folks lamented his current contract from 2010-14 while Iowa football was mired in mediocrity or worse and now they want to do the same thing again. He's under contract for 4 more years; how about he retires then? He'll be 64 years old at that time. Put somebody in place to take over from him in the next few years so it won't affect recruiting (not his kid) and it will be a nice smooth transition. Look at his history; it tells you that there are going to be a few lousy seasons between now and 2019. He never sustains high levels of success. He's been a decent coach for Iowa but 4 more years is more than enough.

Boy, Iowa administration really doesn't learn from the past do they? Kirk puts up one good season and they're anxious to extend his contract. Sound familiar? A lot of folks lamented his current contract from 2010-14 while Iowa football was mired in mediocrity or worse and now they want to do the same thing again. He's under contract for 4 more years; how about he retires then? He'll be 64 years old at that time. Put somebody in place to take over from him in the next few years so it won't affect recruiting (not his kid) and it will be a nice smooth transition. Look at his history; it tells you that there are going to be a few lousy seasons between now and 2019. He never sustains high levels of success. He's been a decent coach for Iowa but 4 more years is more than enough.

I agree that his four more years on his contract are about enough. But if you do not extend with at least a rolling one year option it can hurt recruiting. Lots of kids wont come here if the coach is retiring in two years and other coaches will use that against the hawks in recruiting.

Remember Mack Brown had his successor in waiting with now time table for Mack to retire and then the coach in waiting left Texas, dont blame him. Then Texas had an old lame duck coach and you know what happened.

If something has to be added to KF's contract put in two option years with provisions for each party to walk. That is a potential for 6 more years.

I also think it is time to get a head coach in waiting in the program if possible.

Does anyone know for a fact if and how much of KF's big salary he has personnally shared as bonuses with his assistants? I would think he could legally give them money but maybe giving personal money blurs the lines of coaching independence.

Ten years ago a $30,000 bonus even to a coordinator would be a big bonus. Norm Parker was pretty underpaid overall although if he lost money on every 3rd down and longer than 7 his defenses gave up that might have bit the billfold.

Does anyone know for a fact if and how much of KF's big salary he has personnally shared as bonuses with his assistants? I would think he could legally give them money but maybe giving personal money blurs the lines of coaching independence.

Ten years ago a $30,000 bonus even to a coordinator would be a big bonus. Norm Parker was pretty underpaid overall although if he lost money on every 3rd down and longer than 7 his defenses gave up that might have bit the billfold.

KF takes care of his assistants. He also donates a lot of money to the community and university.

I think you're being a bit cynical, despite your disclaimer.

Latest posts