Howe: It's Fitting Nicholas Baer Gets Senior Day to Himself

I don't think Baer was a complete stranger to Fran. He played on the same quad city elite team with Ethan Happ. He played most of his high school games within an hour of Iowa City. He just wasn't seen as a legit division 1 player. He worked his way into one and proved a lot of people wrong. Opportunity is a wonderful thing, especially when the person awarded the opportunity takes advantage of it.
Very true. I knew Fran had heard of and even seen him play some. But he wouldn't have been a Hawk without his sister doing what she did. Fran did a deeper dive on looking into him and decided to bring him in after that. I wish that part of his recruitment could get put out there nationally it's a pretty cool thing. I just wish for good things to happen to a guy/family like that. So here I am wishing for national pub for the guy when he probably doesn't want it...

Not to take a single ounce of credit away from Baer, but it's sad there's so little hustle on this team that he stands out so vividly.

Not to take a single ounce of credit away from Baer, but it's sad there's so little hustle on this team that he stands out so vividly.

imagine where we'd be without him...and where we might be next year. Good thing is, Wieskamp has a lot of hustle in him too...I think he'll fill that void

Hey, we finally have our first negative comment in the thread. Congrats. There are no prizes.

giphy.gif

He’s an incredible kid.

I’ve never heard a negative comment from him, I watch him stay after games, win or lose, and sign autographs and take pictures with fans.

He will be missed on a lot of levels around here.

are you aware of any interest baer might have at being a coach? man, if he does, i'd love for him to become a GA next season. he just seems like he's got that coaching gene in him.

are you aware of any interest baer might have at being a coach? man, if he does, i'd love for him to become a GA next season. he just seems like he's got that coaching gene in him.

I'm not sure of his plans. We have a press conference at 2 today. I will ask him.

Thanks Rob.....

no gift card to Applebees or anything? Ill make sure to police your negative posts for now on. Didn't see that rule.

I know the seniors get applause and a standing ovation in their final home games. I hope the clapping is the loudest and the standing O is the longest CHA has experienced in a long time. Baer deserves it.

Former walk-on from Bettendorf playing final home game:

LINK

I believe his sophomore year was the year he saved the Hawks at Well Fargo against Drake

Without The Bear we would have lost that game

In almost every game he has played in Nickolas has been the MVP

He is vastly appreciated and will be vastly missed

:cool:

What I will remember the most about Baer is his flare for making the big momentum plays. It always seemed in a huge spot he’d come up with a big steal, block, or hit a big 3 to get the crowd and team fired up. That’s why, and rightfully so, he's a fan favorite.

I still remember his freshman year when he got extended minutes against Drake at the Wells Fargo, I think because Uthoff was in foul trouble. Anyway, I’m like who is this goofy walk on and why is he playing? He ends up with 6 blocks and double digit points and I was like wait is this kid actually good? Turns out he was and he continued to get better throughout his career, while still playing with that walk on chip on his shoulder. Awesome story and a great Hawkeye!

I was at the Well for that game

I agree with all of the accolades in this thread. He also shows how valuable “role” players are on a team and in a rotation. He relishes that 6th man role. It wouldn’t surprise me if he declined the start tomorrow...doesn’t want to disrupt the routine for the team.

ty rob. would just be interesting to know. he already has the demeanor of a coach when talking to the press.

He said coaching wouldn't be his choice unless it's his kids because he sees how much work goes into it. He said he would like to get into sports administration. I'll have a video feature on Nicholas posted soon where he talks about it.

He said coaching wouldn't be his choice unless it's his kids because he sees how much work goes into it. He said he would like to get into sports administration. I'll have a video feature on Nicholas posted soon where he talks about it.

ahh, ty rob. so he wants to be an AD or something to that effect??? i could see it.

Latest posts