Howe: It's Fitting Nicholas Baer Gets Senior Day to Himself

Unselfish, and would be one of the league leaders in blocked shots if they didn't call him for a foul every time he blocks one. Talk about reverse discrimination on this one. Because he's white and not that tall he always gets called for a foul, but then the replay comes on and it's clean as can be. But he knows he got it.

Hopefully, he will have a good life and fond college memories. I wonder if he has a chance to play overseas.

He’s an incredible kid.

I’ve never heard a negative comment from him, I watch him stay after games, win or lose, and sign autographs and take pictures with fans.

He will be missed on a lot of levels around here.
Is his sister single? Asking for a friend... JK jk. That part of his story kills me. For Fran to take her seriously and here we are is pretty darn unique. How many coaches do you think are even approachable enough for that to happen?

What I will remember the most about Baer is his flare for making the big momentum plays. It always seemed in a huge spot he’d come up with a big steal, block, or hit a big 3 to get the crowd and team fired up. That’s why, and rightfully so, he's a fan favorite.

I still remember his freshman year when he got extended minutes against Drake at the Wells Fargo, I think because Uthoff was in foul trouble. Anyway, I’m like who is this goofy walk on and why is he playing? He ends up with 6 blocks and double digit points and I was like wait is this kid actually good? Turns out he was and he continued to get better throughout his career, while still playing with that walk on chip on his shoulder. Awesome story and a great Hawkeye!

Is his sister single? Asking for a friend... JK jk. That part of his story kills me. For Fran to take her seriously and here we are is pretty darn unique. How many coaches do you think are even approachable enough for that to happen?
I don't think Baer was a complete stranger to Fran. He played on the same quad city elite team with Ethan Happ. He played most of his high school games within an hour of Iowa City. He just wasn't seen as a legit division 1 player. He worked his way into one and proved a lot of people wrong. Opportunity is a wonderful thing, especially when the person awarded the opportunity takes advantage of it.

Iowa City West with Connor McCaffery and Wyatt Lohaus knocked off Bettendorf and Baer in the Class 4A state semifinals in '14, Baer's senior season. Baer had 22 points and 13 rebounds in that game.

As I wrote in my column, Baer was an inside player. He shot one three-pointer his entire senior season.

Latest posts