Howe: Iowa's Comeback Kids Still Rolling

He’s was moving around and involved on sideline throughout the game.

gotta think he’ll do whatever it takes to be out there in senior day

be nice for him to have a Saturday game this week

He’s was moving around and involved on sideline throughout the game.

gotta think he’ll do whatever it takes to be out there in senior day

be nice for him to have a Saturday game this week

He would give his overcoat to a teammate when they were coming off the field. Everytime he did that I thought he was getting ready to go back into the game.

Great write up. The loss to Nebby takes nothing away from the job done by Kirk this year. And we are bowling again, when it didn’t look so good earlier in the year. Winning 4 of the final 5 was a great accomplishment.

There's a kind of kung fu called "Iron Crotch Kung Fu." As its name suggests it requires its participants to take a number of kicks to the crotch.

The first time I saw Iron Crotch Kung Fu I thought to myself "wow, who in the hell would do something like that?"

I think with my Hawkeye fandom going back into the '80's I have participated in some type of emotional Iron Crotch Kung Fu for decades. Ten years ago I would have flamed you for your loser ass post, but now I merely recognize you as another participant in Iron Crotch Kung Fu and concur with your assessment that this team accomplished great things.

I was trying to think of where the Nebraska loss ranks among KF's worst when considering the circumstances and what was at stake.

Losses the first two seasons don't move the needle because it was a rebuild. The '07 28-19 loss to Western Michigan in the regular-season finale at Kinnick was bad. All Iowa needed was a win to be bowl eligible. I remember the look on the Insight Bowl guys face in the press box. He wanted Iowa bad.

There have been late-season games against Wisconsin where the Hawkeyes still had a chance at the West but there were games still to be played.

The other day with a championship on the line as a double-digit favorite might be the worst loss in KF when you consider what was clearly at stake.

Nebraska's other two conference wins were against Indiana and Rutgers. And it lost to Northwestern, the Wildcats only win this season.

I was trying to think of where the Nebraska loss ranks among KF's worst when considering the circumstances and what was at stake.

Losses the first two seasons don't move the needle because it was a rebuild. The '07 28-19 loss to Western Michigan in the regular-season finale at Kinnick was bad. All Iowa needed was a win to be bowl eligible. I remember the look on the Insight Bowl guys face in the press box. He wanted Iowa bad.

There have been late-season games against Wisconsin where the Hawkeyes still had a chance at the West but there were games still to be played.

The other day with a championship on the line as a double-digit favorite might be the worst loss in KF when you consider what was clearly at stake.

Nebraska's other two conference wins were against Indiana and Rutgers. And it lost to Northwestern, the Wildcats only win this season.
Sad, but true.

Sad, but true.1
The loss at home to PSU on the last play with a lot on the line and so many opportunities. The D had so many opportunities on Barkley that drive and though he was hit hard there was no attempt to wrap him up. NDSU was worse for me as well.

This team was so out of it on O but they way overachieved on D and special teams. The victories they had were the real stories, not the Nebby loss.

We as fans became accustomed to how wins could come we forgot how difficult and unlikely the wins were. We give KF to many free passes. Iowans like the roll of abused underdogs who make good.....except unlike the movies it's hard to be Bad News Bears.

There's a kind of kung fu called "Iron Crotch Kung Fu." As its name suggests it requires its participants to take a number of kicks to the crotch.

The first time I saw Iron Crotch Kung Fu I thought to myself "wow, who in the hell would do something like that?"

I think with my Hawkeye fandom going back into the '80's I have participated in some type of emotional Iron Crotch Kung Fu for decades. Ten years ago I would have flamed you for your loser ass post, but now I merely recognize you as another participant in Iron Crotch Kung Fu and concur with your assessment that this team accomplished great things.
Team as "players" waay tough. Gotta be Proud of all them. Go Hawks...

You have to be a masochist to be an Iowa fan. They always disappoint in the end. Always.

Some recent examples:

1. 2015 - magical season, but then a gut punch in the MSU and Stanford games.
2. 2021 - Division champs, but then a turd in the championship game and a heartbreaking loss to Kentucky.
3. 2022 Big Ten basketball tournament - an amazing championship, but then a ridiculous loss to Richmond.

You almost expect it now as an Iowa fan.

As an old man I now prefer to celebrate the wins. The Purdue, Wisconsin and Minnesota streak was a lot of fun and memorable wins for a team so was so mediocre on offense.

I knew before kickoff that Nebraska was going to beat us. Too many injuries. That team was simply out of gas and had nothing left in the tank. They came out tight and nervous, led by two very nervous coaches. Kirk was almost hyperventilating.

Looking forward to the bowl game. Maybe Iowa will relax, rally and give a good performance.

Latest posts