Howe: Iowa's Comeback Kids Still Rolling

I was trying to think of where the Nebraska loss ranks among KF's worst when considering the circumstances and what was at stake.

Losses the first two seasons don't move the needle because it was a rebuild. The '07 28-19 loss to Western Michigan in the regular-season finale at Kinnick was bad. All Iowa needed was a win to be bowl eligible. I remember the look on the Insight Bowl guys face in the press box. He wanted Iowa bad.

There have been late-season games against Wisconsin where the Hawkeyes still had a chance at the West but there were games still to be played.

The other day with a championship on the line as a double-digit favorite might be the worst loss in KF when you consider what was clearly at stake.

Nebraska's other two conference wins were against Indiana and Rutgers. And it lost to Northwestern, the Wildcats only win this season.
Wisconsin 2010 is right up there on the list of 'kick in the nuts' losses.

Wisconsin 2010 is right up there on the list of 'kick in the nuts' losses.

It's so hard to rank order the top 5 of the Ferentz era, but if I had to:

1) Iowa State 2002
2) Michigan 2005 - snapped long home winning streak
3) Northwestern 2008-2010, inclusive, with serious pain around the 2009 loss
4) Wisconsin 2010
5) Ohio 2010 - had them beat, everyone in the stadium knew the play, but Pryor was just so much faster than Clayborn that we didn't have a chance to stop it once they ran the defense down the field (it was that 4th and 10 play)

One thing I will give Cap'n credit for is he hasn't delivered a true kick in the nuts loss in quite some time. I guess maybe we could add the 2015 title game to the list, but I wasn't even that upset because I knew how bad we would have gotten shit trucked in the playoffs. I was so certain we were gonna win that Rose Bowl. Mercifully Christian McCaffrey and Standford made it clear in the first quarter that Iowa didn't have a snowball's chance in hell of winning the game so it tempered my frustration quite a bit.

I think the Rose Bowl Standford loss was the worst for me. Mostly because we were 100% not ready to compete in that game from the 1st snap. It wasn't that it was a bad game, it was annihilation from the get go.

I think the Rose Bowl Standford loss was the worst for me. Mostly because we were 100% not ready to compete in that game from the 1st snap. It wasn't that it was a bad game, it was annihilation from the get go.
I have said this before: Our team left absolutely everything in Indianapolis in the BT Championship game vs MSU. Hardest fought game I have ever seen. They were just done.
I was at the Rose Bowl. The team was not.

I have said this before: Our team left absolutely everything in Indianapolis in the BT Championship game vs MSU. Hardest fought game I have ever seen. They were just done.
I was at the Rose Bowl. The team was not.
I was in Indy but not in CA. So close!!

Latest posts