Howe: Iowa Football Season Prediction

That season prediction is pretty solid.....pro-typical Ferentz team....good not great.....big win in the early part of the year and then some stumbles that keep them out of Championship talk (most likely, or sweating it out).

The Key games for Iowa:
Michigan
Purdue
Minnesota
Wisconsin

If they could get 3-1 or 4-0 out of that group I would feel real good about them getting another return to the Big Ten Title game assuming all else fell in place.

Last edited:
The only game I think there's a minuscule chance of winning is at Ohio State. I wanna see Michigan repeat last year's success before I'm in on the Wolverines.

No business losing to SDSU, Nevada, Rutgers, Illinois. Should beat ISU, NW, Nebraska at home.

That season prediction is pretty solid.....pro-typical Ferentz team....good not great.....big win in the early part of the year and then some stumbles that keep them out of Championship talk (most likely, or sweating it out).

The Key games for Iowa:
Michigan
Purdue
Minnesota
Wisconsin

If they could get 3-1 or 4-0 out of that group I would feel real good about them getting another return to the Big Ten Title game assuming all else fell in place.
Amen. Those are all loseable games too. If Iowa splits or worse those along with losing to OSU and say anyone else it could be a disappointing yr...

Well then, that explains why I always thought the McRib sandwich sucked. Never have liked it. I always thought that it was over rated and over hyped. Makes complete sense now.

I dunno, maybe it was better in the 1980's and 1990's.

The only game I think there's a minuscule chance of winning is at Ohio State. I wanna see Michigan repeat last year's success before I'm in on the Wolverines.

No business losing to SDSU, Nevada, Rutgers, Illinois. Should beat ISU, NW, Nebraska at home.

Sounds like you're taking the over on 7.5 wins.

The over on Iowa regular season win totals has been easy money for a few years in a row now:
1660074135594.png

I thought the last 3 seasons were layups, as the results indicated (covered by 1.5, 2, and 1.5 wins).

This year is a bit trickier. Tougher schedule combined with some very worrying lack of WR depth and lack of stability at kicker have me pretty concerned. I think they win 8 or 9...if forced to pick, I would go with 8 and hope they prove me wrong.

edit: thanks to @guffus for pointing this out, but Iowa has 7 regular season wins in 2014, and 8 in 2016.

Last edited:
The over on Iowa regular season win totals has been easy money for a few years in a row now:
View attachment 9130

I thought the last 3 seasons were layups, as the results indicated (covered by 1.5, 2, and 1.5 wins).

This year is a bit trickier. Tougher schedule combined with some very worrying lack of WR depth and lack of stability at kicker have me pretty concerned. I think they win 8 or 9...if forced to pick, I would go with 8 and hope they prove me wrong.
Didn't Iowa have 7 regular wins in 2014 and 8 regular wins in 2016?

What does Michigan lose on offense and defense?

Cade McNamara: Is returning at qb I wasn't that impressed with him...may be challenged by McCarthy(not sure if it is him or someone else) in fall camp.

Hutchison/Ojabo: Are both in the NFL. Those guys were B1G nightmares. Don't know what is in the pipeline to replace them.

I might be overly optimistic but i see losses only at OSU and Purdue. Minny lost their OL and Michigan their great D which won them most of their games. Iowa repeats as West Champ and rematches with Ohio State in the title game, and loses close.

I might be overly optimistic but i see losses only at OSU and Purdue. Minny lost their OL and Michigan their great D which won them most of their games. Iowa repeats as West Champ and rematches with Ohio State in the title game, and loses close.
I would take that...back to back Big Ten Title games.

Latest posts