Howe: Iowa Football Must Address Former Players Speaking Out

Status
Not open for further replies.

There are bad people on both sides who destroy and murder. (There are many sides)

If there is such a thing as systemic racism...I see it as kind of a catch-all, blanket assumption of guilt/blaming towards whites. But if there is such a thing as systemic racism, then there is also systemic racism among those who are not white, correct?

Now a "sniff" of racism, even a casual word or statement without evil intent labels a white person as a racist. And "sensed" racism or sexism (fill in the list) is often what "convicts" a person. High schools and colleges are now filled with teachers/professors who help their students "sense" this racism. It is a joke, a waste of taxpayer money, and bad for society. It also make millions of dollars for the niche lawyers who carpetbag the system, leaving the innocently accused in their wake.

Truth needs to be clear on all sides for progress to proceed.

Thanks, Rev. Like I said, I was honestly only trying to get my head around your intended meaning and I appreciate a direct response.

We may not see exactly eye-to-eye on "systemic racism". It's hard to say exactly because, as you rightly implied, a lot of these terms are subjective and people claiming to agree / disagree may not even be talking about the same thing. Social media is hardly the right tool for hashing that out.

I do think you make an unfair and over-generalized claim about educators at the same time that you were arguing that "racist" has been unfairly over-generalized to include things that do not have racist intent. I point it out because it goes to the heart of your reply. And you're not wrong; one person / group cannot cry "RACISM!" while overlooking or minimizing racist views, beliefs, or tendencies within. Similarly, claiming unfair over-generalization while doing that same thing to another group should bring pause. Yes?

And that's what I see as our biggest problem. Every person...every group...has a "they", or many of them. "They" are guilty of this, that, or the other thing. "They" feel this or believe that. And I'm as guilty as any. I even found myself lumping you into a "they" as I was reading. How unfair to you and conceited of me, because I don't even know you beyond the text on this message board. That's where we need to start. To get to the point of truth where progress can proceed, as you say, we need to break apart our "they"s. Because there is a lot of UNTRUTH in your "they"s, in my "they"s, and in everyone else's. And if we can't accept that, then the conversation can't even get started.

Thanks again, Rev. I really do appreciate your straightforward answer. Have a good day, man.

Thanks, Rev. Like I said, I was honestly only trying to get my head around your intended meaning and I appreciate a direct response.

We may not see exactly eye-to-eye on "systemic racism". It's hard to say exactly because, as you rightly implied, a lot of these terms are subjective and people claiming to agree / disagree may not even be talking about the same thing. Social media is hardly the right tool for hashing that out.

I do think you make an unfair and over-generalized claim about educators at the same time that you were arguing that "racist" has been unfairly over-generalized to include things that do not have racist intent. I point it out because it goes to the heart of your reply. And you're not wrong; one person / group cannot cry "RACISM!" while overlooking or minimizing racist views, beliefs, or tendencies within. Similarly, claiming unfair over-generalization while doing that same thing to another group should bring pause. Yes?

And that's what I see as our biggest problem. Every person...every group...has a "they", or many of them. "They" are guilty of this, that, or the other thing. "They" feel this or believe that. And I'm as guilty as any. I even found myself lumping you into a "they" as I was reading. How unfair to you and conceited of me, because I don't even know you beyond the text on this message board. That's where we need to start. To get to the point of truth where progress can proceed, as you say, we need to break apart our "they"s. Because there is a lot of UNTRUTH in your "they"s, in my "they"s, and in everyone else's. And if we can't accept that, then the conversation can't even get started.

Thanks again, Rev. I really do appreciate your straightforward answer. Have a good day, man.
You are welcome.

I don't have all or any of the answers, but I do have my own views, based on my own personal experiences. They aren't endless but they are a part of my observations.

It is difficult to find "truth" or "statistics" because the flow of media on all sides is biased. The profession is corrupt, which is sad.

Granted this particular case of abuse and alleged murder is without excuse, as they all are. The public unions protect their own and those who don't belong stick like a tick once part of the club...which then protects them from critical review and accountability.

Beyond these crimes, I wonder what the African American community can DO to make themselves less likely victims of racism and "bias" from those who are not a part of their community? Too often the voices I hear from within their community are loud sounding excuses and blame. What can you do to make it different? Where is the accountability within the community when you murder your own and your murder rate vs whites is about 10 times higher than the opposite?

Question: Have we heard from any former white players on this Doyle issue? Obviously they were in the weight room when these things happened. Why are they so silent? Where's Chad Greenway, Ricky Stanzi, Pat Angerer or Bryan Bulaga? If Doyle really is racist, we need to hear from them as well.

https://twitter.com/VandeBerg89/status/1269311749943111680

https://twitter.com/BatMandervelde/status/1269146269013901312

https://twitter.com/RobHoweHN/status/1269113491681673216

https://www.brucekittle.com/single-post/2020/06/07/With-Great-Power

I'm not wrong and it bothers you. I know a local female cop who should be defunded.

I know a cop who harassed me and was defunded...for assaulting others. I know a Sheriff from SE Iowa who should be defunded.

Fed cops get better training than state who get better training than local. At issue in most areas there is no local oversight by the state. They are pretty much free to do what they want until locally prosecuted but in many cases the da is the same party. The state bci and feds are limited in what they can do.

I'm all in favor of refunding some cops.
I'm in favor of reducing or taking away the asset-forfeiture $$$ that cops get. You can't tell me that's not quite the slush fund.

Question: Have we heard from any former white players on this Doyle issue? Obviously they were in the weight room when these things happened. Why are they so silent? Where's Chad Greenway, Ricky Stanzi, Pat Angerer or Bryan Bulaga? If Doyle really is racist, we need to hear from them as well.
They are way too smart to chime in...lose lose

Brother goes through here first and he allows little brother to face the same autonomy and racism? That boat don't float. The tone of his message should have been much MUCH different. He certainly made it seem like it is terrible IMO

Rob’’s story about Akrum having a problem with BF saying something about “robbing a liquor store” because AW was wearing a ski mask is a prime example of how much he is STIRRING THE POT. I use to snowboard a lot and yes I’m white and yes my friends and I would crack jokes about how we looked like a mob ready to go steal banks. This isn’t a race issue, this sounds like BF giving a player he FED carries too shit for wearing a mask. If it isn’t true why is it so bothering? This race baiting shit needs to stop. I’m all for letting people freely speak their minds but I bet some of these Iowa media members want coaches fired so they don’t have to face them. Let’s start calling out this website and why it doesn’t have any minorities working for it? Black, hispanic, females, etc.

You're much smarter than this. White people's opinions on racism mean less than nothing unless they support that it was there. Any former white player, particularly one that is working for a living, risks losing their job if they even begin to deny that these statements were said.
So Rob and all of the WHITE Iowa media members opinions shouldn’t mean shit either.

I'm not wrong and it bothers you. I know a local female cop who should be defunded.

I know a cop who harassed me and was defunded...for assaulting others. I know a Sheriff from SE Iowa who should be defunded.

Fed cops get better training than state who get better training than local. At issue in most areas there is no local oversight by the state. They are pretty much free to do what they want until locally prosecuted but in many cases the da is the same party. The state bci and feds are limited in what they can do.

I'm all in favor of refunding some cops.
Doesn’t bother me. People who can’t use logic bother me.

I'm in favor of reducing or taking away the asset-forfeiture $$$ that cops get. You can't tell me that's not quite the slush fund.

The concept of forfeiting pensions has been talked about. Part of the problem with Iowa is that the pension is one of the more legit pension systems in the nation. It's not the golden parachute.

102930134_10222594477793559_8572071855286003399_n.jpg

As white people we have no idea what a black life is like. No idea.

StanziUSA mentioned how his buddies joked about robbing banks with his buddies while snowboarding. That is so much different than a young black man being asked by a white authority figure if he was going to rob a liquor store. This is not even close to comparable.

Again, we do not know the background of these young men. We can only guess. But I do know it is way different than what white people go through.

How exactly is that not comparable?

So you are saying a bunch of white dudes that are friends saying they look like they are bank robbers is the same as a white authority figure telling a young black man he looks like he is going to rob a liquor store?

If you dont see the difference there is nothing I can say to you to make you understand.

Former Hawkeye Anthony Herron will be on the Dan Bernstein show this morning at 11am, WSCR AM 670.

Ant played for both Kirk and Hayden and has become a solid broadcaster in his post playing days. This should be appointment radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.