Howe: Iowa Football Must Address Former Players Speaking Out

Status
Not open for further replies.
there are fans on that site who are defending you. Do you think protesters may show up at Kinnick & the football offices tonight to protest? I really wonder, those crowds keep growing & it's a Saturday night.

They will show up in Sept, book that.

I'm just telling you...Brian Ferentz isn't going anywhere. I'm not disagreeing...but I'm just stating the way I see it. As I said...BF comes off as a dick most of the time...but I don't think either are racist or don't care about their players.

Once again...I think if a group of black players came to KF and relayed the Doyle stuff...KF would do something. That's my opinion. Trashing the program and giving credence to every aggrieved player doesn't provide a fair forum either. It's the world we live in...but I think it's bullshit.

I'm curious to see if you have more players come out and defend KF or the program also. That will be interesting.

You might have an argument here:
We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

Of course at that time there weren't meaning black people.

It's not just Iowa......................

"Utah Utes defensive coordinator Morgan Scalley was suspended Friday after the university was made aware of a text message he sent in 2013 that included a racial slur.

Utah’s athletic director, Mark Harlan, issued a statement Friday confirming Scalley’s suspension as the university launches an investigation into a social media post of the text that surfaced Wednesday.

“On Wednesday night, I was made aware of a social media post that referenced a 2013 text message that included racist language, sent by our football program’s defensive coordinator, Morgan Scalley,” Harlan’s statement read.

“Coach Scalley and I have spoken. He is very contrite and acknowledged that the text was sent and that it did include a derogatory and painful word.”

While the exact contents of the text or who it was directed at have not been revealed, former Utah cornerback Ryan Lacy accused Scalley of calling him the N-word in 2008."

Cultural change doesn't often come easily. On rule of law for all is at the heart of the issue and you are smart enough to know that's not an equal playing field. To you is it slander to call out KF on this?
Assumed guilt is a slippery slope. I am smart enough to know it is unfair to be accused and convicted without a fair trial. That's the problem when "felt racism" is used to convict someone in public.

The problems that divide our country won't be solved without fair and open discussions on all issues, not just the ones that are slanted in the favor of diversity/tolerance/special treatment.

The issues with law enforcement are common to all professions. One of the big problems is how public unions protect those who should not be in the profession. Teachers/police/etc.

I know nothing about how Rachel issues have infected Iowa athletics. I do believe in fairness for all races and professions, along with accountability, for police officers and anarchists who destroy and murder.

Have you been out of the US into a nation where you are decidedly a minority? I just wouldn't know how to begin to answer the question because it is not genuine and at the heart of the problem. Not dissing you, but you are why we need cultural change. You can read the tweets as well as I can. There are strong clues in those tweets.
I don’t see color I see humans and character. I have seen a lot of people apologizing today as if they are they racist. You don’t know me don’t call me the problem. Anyone pointing the finger needs to look at themselves. Check yourself bud.

Systematic abuse us systematic abuse, be it children or black athletes. This is on KF just as it was on JoPa. Is it the same in terms of severity? No, raping children is waaaay worse. But, again, systematic abuse of a population is abuse.

I get that its not as severe. But isnt it? When society marginalizes an entire group and they come to a University to grow and learn, but are put down and abused, isnt it similar?
I agree racism is bad. But I don’t see BF calling out someone’s tattoos as racism, most of the comments Doyle made weren’t but some were so sure call him out. KF has revived praise from the same athletes calling out Doyle. Some of the athletes calling out Doyle praised him in their fairwell letters for this reason I think we should wait and let the accused have their side told before we are jumping the gun calling for people’s livelihoods.

Assumed guilt is a slippery slope. I am smart enough to know it is unfair to be accused and convicted without a fair trial. That's the problem when "felt racism" is used to convict someone in public.

The problems that divide our country won't be solved without fair and open discussions on all issues, not just the ones that are slanted in the favor of diversity/tolerance/special treatment.

The issues with law enforcement are common to all professions. One of the big problems is how public unions protect those who should not be in the profession. Teachers/police/etc.

I know nothing about how Rachel issues have infected Iowa athletics. I do believe in fairness for all races and professions, along with accountability, for police officers and anarchists who destroy and murder.

I'm curious what you were thinking when you wrote the last sentence...

"police officers who murder and anarchists who destroy"...
or "police officers who destroy and murder and anarchists who destroy and murder"...
or exactly what you wrote "police officers and anarchists who destroy and murder"??

I'm honestly just asking. I'm not covertly calling you a racist, an enabler, an apologist, a dick or anything else. I read what you wrote and that was the question that popped in my head. Mostly because by the way it's worded I can't decide if it supports your claim of fairness. Figured I may as well just ask. ;)

I could see it going this way...

Doyle’s obviously getting fired.

Brian moves off to another job somewhere after taking lots of lumps, going to be tough to get another P5 if he leaves.

Kirk finishes the year and retires.

Barta retires at the same time.
Here's what i think will happen:
* Doyle will offer his resignation...which he knows will be refused by KF. He'll be suspended for 3 momths and required to take an anti-racism course.
* Brian will be required to take an anti-racism course.
* UI African American football coaches will be asked to lead anti-racism meetings with all players.
* A cultural sensitivity course will be required for all current and future coaches, and players.
And that, my friends, will be it.

Just saw a live local newscast at the Old Capitol on the campus at Iowa, I see that protesters spray painted graffiti on the Old Capitol bldg. That I do not support!

I read that also and that gave me some hope. But DJ Johnson’s tweets last night tell me things aren’t fixed. They might be a work in progress but it’s not miraculous turn around.

DJ Johnson is trying to go at Coach Parker and claim he is a big problem as well...Geno Stone and Jovon Johnson are really taking him to task for it. In particular Jovon and DJ were going back and forth pretty heatedly. Jovon Johnson basically accused him of being someone who couldn't hack it and is looking for some place to cast blame.

That's noble. So what are you going to do about this?

EZ3WyJcXgAAHet1

I don’t see color I see humans and character. I have seen a lot of people apologizing today as if they are they racist. You don’t know me don’t call me the problem. Anyone pointing the finger needs to look at themselves. Check yourself bud.

Agree, but a serious question. What are you going to do differently now during this huge cultural shift?

Also, do you know what covert racism is?

Let me ask you this. Was it OK what the police did to Faith?

If we are really honest with ourselves I think we can see that at least some of these things are true just by the little information that gets to us. How many times in KF tenure has a white player struggled and Kirk sticks with him instead of putting in his backup (who was black). We all thought it was just a loyalty thing to an upper class men or that the struggling player practiced better. We got fed lines like “he’s just not as a complete blocker“ and other things which unless we are at all practices, the fans wouldn’t know to justify. Maybe there was a little more going on.
McCann over Banks.....enough said.

I'm can take it. Getting hammered on Twitter, too.

I get it. This sucks.

Keep up the good work, none of us want to see this, but we need to see it. Get as wide a range of viewpoints as you can. Would love to hear from recently graduated black players that were considered leaders (Devonte Young, Amani Jones).

Here's what i think will happen:
* Doyle will offer his resignation...which he knows will be refused by KF. He'll be suspended for 3 momths and required to take an anti-racism course.
* Brian will be required to take an anti-racism course.
* UI African American football coaches will be asked to lead anti-racism meetings with all players.
* A cultural sensitivity course will be required for all current and future coaches, and players.
And that, my friends, will be it.
There’s zero chance Doyle coaches again.

Will not happen.

Aside from the huge problem in front of the program right now, there’s no way Iowa gets a single new black recruit if he stays. This is in the national spotlight and all of them are watching. The paid administrative leave thing is a formality until the ax finishes dropping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts