Howe: Iowa Football Game-By-Game Predictions

It will be a disappointing season to me if Iowa drops to both the Fighting Franklins and the Fumbling Fickells. Also, Prediction: Illinois 6, Iowa 2 is hard to square. I could totally see it if we had last year's QB duo, though.

Curious if 9-3 is disappointing, what would be a successful season for you guys?

I'm not calling anyone out. Just wondering what would be an acceptable outcome in '23.

It will be a disappointing season to me if Iowa drops to both the Fighting Franklins and the Fumbling Fickells. Also, Prediction: Illinois 6, Iowa 2 is hard to square. I could totally see it if we had last year's QB duo, though.
Had to throw something different in there. Everybody has us losing to Penn St and Wisconsin.

I think anything less than 9-3 will be disappointing. It would likely be the result of another pathetic year on the offensive side of the ball.

Curious if 9-3 is disappointing, what would be a successful season for you guys?

I'm not calling anyone out. Just wondering what would be an acceptable outcome in '23.
Iowa should have:

1. Top 10 national defensive unit
2. Top 15 national special teams unit
3. Improved offense at every position except possibly TE however I believe the unit still has the potential of being just as good if not better than last year.
4. Soft schedule

Provided Iowa can avoid major injuries I will be disappointed if hawks have anything less than than a 10-2 record w/ a trip to the championship game. Yes lofty expectations but hey, I also expect the president to be able to walk up a flight of stairs w/out nearly face planting.

Had to throw something different in there. Everybody has us losing to Penn St and Wisconsin.

I think anything less than 9-3 will be disappointing. It would likely be the result of another pathetic year on the offensive side of the ball.
Agree.. Seems like that's the expectation. They'll lose to those two and stumble against someone else they shouldn't. Be it IL, MN, NE whomever. If they don't stumble and go 10-2 and play those games tough that'd be a phenomenal yr. But yeah 8 wins would seem like a bummer if that's what happens. Considering the schedule is significantly easier then last yr and this team is supposed to be much improved on O. BF has few excuses at this point...

To me the season will really start at the PSU game. Assuming we take care of business the first 3 games if Iowa somehow were to upset them (hey Iowa's done crazier things then that) that would really give them the juice needed to have a straight up historic yr. It'd be all downhill from there pretty much besides that road game at Wisky and with them having a new coach and totally new system they may not be as tough as the national folks want to say they are.

To me how fast this O can get to clicking and have some defined roles for the WRs along with keeping the key guys all healthy will be key. I mean losing Cade for any amount of time or Kaleb Johnson or a DB or two could be devastating. It's football ya just never know. That's why they play the games I suppose

Last edited:

Great question Rob! I used to be happy with 7 wins. Then I wasnt'. I used to be happy with 8 wins, then I'm not. I was very pleased with 9 wins, but often think, awe hell the Hawks are as good as that 10 win team. Besides there's enough so-so teams that winning 10 seems well within reach.

With a good QB and average OL play Iowa should hit 9 and probably 10 - - assuming they stay healthy.

I'd be pretty happy with 9-3. I can see Penn St. and Wis. both being losses. Not sure about the Illinois game and even more not sure about that score :). But we almost always lose a game we don't necessarily see ahead of the season and that will likely happen again.

I do think that we are one injury to a cornerback away from having a worse season than 9-3 though. There's not a lot of depth there and to me, that is the most concerning position on the field this year injury-wise.

I was torn between the Minnesota and Illinois games. I think Iowa drops one of those two but weird shit could also happen in Ames or Lincoln.

I haven't looked, but I think Iowa would be favored in 10 of 12 games based on preseason outlook. Then again, most books have the O/U number set at 7.5. I'll probably throw a couple bucks at the over.

I do believe the Hawks are going to have a very good season

At Penn State will certainly be a loss

And at Wisconsin a loss that we can possibly win if things are clicking

At Iowa State will be a tough one but this season we should prevail

Other than Penn State and Wisconsin, both away, we have a favorable schedule

A 10-2 season is certainly a reasonable possibility, that would be very good in the Big Ten

Our offense should be vastly improved and the D will not be as solid as last season,
but capable of holding tight

I’ll be let down if we don’t win the West. This is the last year we’ll be even top 3 due to expansion. We’re about to be 3rd tier.

I was torn between the Minnesota and Illinois games. I think Iowa drops one of those two but weird shit could also happen in Ames or Lincoln.

I haven't looked, but I think Iowa would be favored in 10 of 12 games based on preseason outlook. Then again, most books have the O/U number set at 7.5. I'll probably throw a couple bucks at the over.
Seems like Minnesota is due to pull one out. Glad that one is at home.

Iowa is underrated nationally. This team is more than capable of 10 wins. I agree that they should be favored in 10 if things went to chalk. Based on that:

11 giddy
10 happy
9 eh. ok I guess
8 and under disappointed.

1 month ago I went through the West Division schedules and also ended up with the Hawks and Badgers ending up 9-3, 6-3, with Wisky winning the West because of the head-to-head. Illinois will be better than most folks think. I think you're going to see a lot more passing from the Gophers this year, and the wildcard is Nebraska...this preseason I've felt hot (because of their transfer QB who really impressed in the spring) and cold (due to their overall scheme changes and the sense they're still learning) on them.
I would feel pretty good if the Hawks go 9-3...that's a lot of wins. Last year's Nebraska game showed how a single injury to DeJean can impact Iowa's pass defense -- and due to DB transfers the situation this season will be just as fragile.

With an unknown offensive line 9-3 could be a bit generous. On the other hand if the offensive line does very well and surprises us, then I could see a 11-1 scenario. Lone loss against Penn State (even though we have done very well against them).

I’ll be let down if we don’t win the West. This is the last year we’ll be even top 3 due to expansion. We’re about to be 3rd tier.
Jesus christ, man, it’s UCLA and USC. You’re acting like Georgia, Alabama, the Bills, and the Chiefs are joining.

Jesus christ, man, it’s UCLA and USC. You’re acting like Georgia, Alabama, the Bills, and the Chiefs are joining.
We have won 2 split conference titles in the KF era. 20 years ago. We came within a yard of winning it outright against MSU and got smoked at our only other opportunity. We have seen what conference title droughts look like in MBB during the last 4 decades, even with a lot of good teams that have come through.

I don't think it is hyperbolic to say that this season is our last, best chance for a conference title for the foreseeable future. Stacked D, quality specials, an offense that should have a pulse, soft schedule, and a weak West Division that is even weaker than usual. Whatever the pundits say, in my mind, we absolutely are the best team in the West. We should prove it, and then just have to have one of those "BF is a genius once a year" games in the title game.

Winning a title with just the likes of OSU, Michigan and PSU has proven hard enough, but now we are adding (at least) four more quality programs into the mix. Statistically the odds are 6% to win before taking into account the quality of the teams. Who knows what happens to Iowa when KF hangs them up sometime in the next couple years, but the odds strongly suggest we are more likely to downgrade than upgrade at HC the next go around.

For all those reasons, I am putting my emotional eggs into this seasons basket more so than I ever have. Its double digit wins or bust for me. I realize I am assuredly setting myself up for disappointment.

If they stick with no divisions, which, who the hell knows, the degree of difficulty in winning a B1G title will be very high. But who the hell knows (i've now used that phrase twice) what the schedules will look like. Maybe the Hawkeyes get a 2015 type slate some year.

That said, programs will be judged by whether or not they get into the CFP moving forward.

Theoretically, Iowa would have made a 12-team playoff in '15, '09, '04, '02 if we go by final AP regular season rankings under KF. Iowa finished the '03 regular season at No. 13 so would have missed based on this measurement.

Latest posts