Howe: Hawkeyes Get Their Heartbeat Back with Healthy Baer

It's nice to have him back a full capacity. I do agree that he brings that extra spark to the team, which is a good thing. On the other hand, it's a bit discouraging that the others don't innately have that in them, and need Baer to bring it out of them.

Last edited:
What I admire about Baer is that he never gives up. He started the Drake game missing a couple of easy layups. But rather than sulking, he kept up his tenacity and eventually the shots started falling. Also, his rebound positioning was phenomenal last night.

He is a pretty fearless player, full of energy, willing to mix it up, always trying to figure out the best angle for a rebound or how to cut a pass off, a thinker. When he isn't playing, Iowa seems to be playing in mud, up and down the lineup.

Well written article, thanks. It really describes what many people have observed since the season's beginning. There hasn't seemed to be much team chemistry, during time-outs/huddles the team doesn't seem together - which is what Baer's court game brings. He inspires by his play, maybe not by just being present as he was when he was injured. Hopefully this game is a turning point and our boys can play for the rest of the season the way we thought they could. I am cautiously optimistic!

It's nice to have him back a full capacity. I do agree that he brings that extra spark to the team, which is a good thing. On the other hand, it's a bit discouraging that the others don't innately have that in them, and need Baer to bring it out of them.

I just read the article and was just going to bring up a point that you make. Baer and White both came in with an lunch pale work ethic and a heart to match. They started that way and carried it through their Hawkeye careers. This was not a upper class-man thing. It is who Baer has always been.

When Baer is out someone needs to step up and take Baers place and set the an example and raise the bar. Pemsl demonstrated this type of effort when he injured himself going after a loose ball out of bounds. Hopefully the other players will catch the spirit and do likewise.

I'm looking forward to tonight's game. Southern Utah's defense makes ours look good. I wouldn't be surprised to see Iowa put up a hundo tonight.

Latest posts