Howe: Hawkeye Kids Day Notes and Observations

Interesting...

"Second-year running back Kyshaun Bryan was not at practice. Ferentz said he was not among the 105 players invited to training camp but did not indicate he had left the team."

It's usually not a good sign when you're a scholarship player not invited to camp. If he were injured, I think KF would have mentioned it.

Nixon can't play this season. I'm not getting a warm and fuzzy feeling about punting. What's going on there?

The Bryan situation is perplexing. You would think that if it was a lingering issue from his injury that Kirk would allude to that, or, if it was academics, he would say something about "getting his house in order."

The fact that he's still on the team, but not on the active roster, is especially strange given all the silence.

It's all too bad. I was very impressed with his tape coming in. Loads of potential there, but it's not looking good.

Interesting the notes didn't mention Barrington Wade. I thought someone (KF or Seth) said that they were thinking about moving Neiman inside and letting Wade play the LEO. Wade sure looks the part, but haven't seen enough of him to see what his speed looks like in a defense. Was that an inadvertent omission or was he out for the kids day stuff?

I wouldn't want to break with protocol here and actually say something positive about the team. So I will mention that the punting situation seems to still be a work in progress. Sounds like neither punter is particularly consistent at this point. :confused:

Interesting the notes didn't mention Barrington Wade. I thought some (KF or Seth) said that they were thinking about moving Neiman inside and letting Wade play the LEO. Wade sure looks the part, but haven't seen enough of him to see what his speed looks like in a defense. Was that an inadvertent omission or was he out for the kids day stuff?
I don't recall the specifics, but there was something about him coming off of injury, and, IIRC, Kirk said something about him being good to go Monday.

Either way, I like the way Colbert looks. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up starting somewhere by the mid point of the season.

Star of that scrimmage was Sargent. Shifty, strong, and the type of back that get's lost in the big dudes and has the quicks to get by you before you know it. Nice pick up for sure to add to the RBs. IKM looked really good too.

I'm assuming 99 was Shannon. He looks like he belongs...and Nixon is huge too. Next year is going to be really freaking interesting on defense. You will have everyone back on the DL, except Matt Nelson and you add some very large humans in the middle. Then you will have your entire linebacking crew back...and 3 of 4 in the secondary...can you say top 10 defense with a chance to be top 5.

This 2018 team is a tough one to figure out with the issues at OT that first game...plus the growing pains at LB that are inevitable. That being said, if we stay healthy...hopefully by Wisconsin things will be settling down a bit. I sure hope so anyway. Two of the first three are going to be absolute dogfights...I honestly think Stanley will be the difference maker in those early games. He can't throw from his back however. If he gets time...he will get the ball where it needs to go.

If you look at 2019 though...wow...and it's on both sides of the ball. Needle is pointing up on Iowa Football.

The Bryan situation is perplexing. You would think that if it was a lingering issue from his injury that Kirk would allude to that, or, if it was academics, he would say something about "getting his house in order."

The fact that he's still on the team, but not on the active roster, is especially strange given all the silence.

It's all too bad. I was very impressed with his tape coming in. Loads of potential there, but it's not looking good.
I agree, this doesn't look good. I saw him at the Spring practice and really liked how quick he looked. I really thought he would have a role this year, even if it was limited.

I have to wonder his situation is a result of academics and if so, hopefully he can get his house in order.

Interesting the notes didn't mention Barrington Wade. I thought someone (KF or Seth) said that they were thinking about moving Neiman inside and letting Wade play the LEO. Wade sure looks the part, but haven't seen enough of him to see what his speed looks like in a defense. Was that an inadvertent omission or was he out for the kids day stuff?

You need to read the notes closer. ;)

One thing to keep in mind is that in the Kids Day practice, KF usually pulls back on his top RBs. Young and IKM didn't see as many reps because he knows what he has there. And, the RBs didn't absorb direct hits. It wasn't completely live.

I like Sargent but I think he's behind Young and IKM right now. That could change, of course.

Overall, I felt good about the RBs after watching. There isn't an Akrum Wadley playmaker in the group, but it's solid.

Devonte Young also was not there yesterday. Didn't get a chance to ask Kirk about him, but LeVar Woods talked about him being in the punt return mix, although down the list. Kyle Groeneweg is the likely punt returner now.

With Young, he's still with the team. I'm guessing he wasn't invited to camp.

While Iowa doesn't make a habit of running kids off, the non-camp invite is usually a sign that they coaches don't see you in the picture. It most often leads to transfers.

Latest posts