Howe Column: Way Too Early to Judge This Iowa Basketball Team

So if you were in Bartas shoes, would you sit back and do nothing or would you risk your job by making coaching changes that could blow up in your face? Barta would be a fool to change something he doesn't have to.

And Wisconsin isnt successful because they have an AD that demands success. They are successful because they have an AD that is really good at finding the right coaches. We have yet to see what happens to an average coach there because everyone they hire wins.
Bullshit! That's exactly why they are successful. Barry Alvarez demands more of himself. That's why he makes damn sure that he hires the right coaches! Do you think he has magic pixy dust or something? Opens up the Coaches Almanac, sprinkles his magic dust and points to a candidate? Unbelievable. Sorry but you have no clue.

Bullshit! That's exactly why they are successful. Barry Alvarez demands more of himself. That's why he makes damn sure that he hires the right coaches! Do you think he has magic pixy dust or something? Opens up the Coaches Almanac, sprinkles his magic dust and points to a candidate? Unbelievable. Sorry but you have no clue.

EXACTLY and why I’m fine with Kirk Ferentz as Head Coach until BARTA is long gone from the University of Iowa!!!!!!

So if you were in Bartas shoes, would you sit back and do nothing or would you risk your job by making coaching changes that could blow up in your face? Barta would be a fool to change something he doesn't have to.

And Wisconsin isnt successful because they have an AD that demands success. They are successful because they have an AD that is really good at finding the right coaches. We have yet to see what happens to an average coach there because everyone they hire wins.
Newsflash. Neither Beilama (Arkansas) or Anderson (Oregon State) succeeded after they left UW. But the train kept rolling. Chryst was a .500 guy at Pitt. Maybe it’s more the program than the coach.

If I was Gary Barta I would strive for more success, because success is fun. Winning more and taking the program to higher levels is fun. Being good at your job is fun.

But you are correct in saying he has no pressure from above to do anything different. Neither the past president nor the current one seem to care much. The athletic department is printing money so Gary, who has proven to be completely inept at his job gets to continue to carry on. Unfortunate for Iowa fans but it’s likely not changing.

Last edited:
You're out of your mind. And I now believe it's very likely that you never competed at anything. Or never accomplished anything in competition. Wow.
I worked in the cable TV business for eleven years as a video producer, public Access coordinator, and remote broadcast producer/director (some of our fellow posters finest high school moments may be in the athletic file of our vaults). They told us early in our careers that if the biz wanted to operate within the box and not strive for change and not have the competitive urge to do better we would still have three broadcast channels and PBS.

Did I read that post correctly? Doing things that have a high probability of failure make one a loser? Good thing I didn't listen. I grew up in a tough neighborhood where few went to college and fewer could afford it. Good thing the Wright Brothers didn't listen. I'm sure they failed many times before they got the plane off the ground.

I don't want to get too far out on a tangent. I'm just trying to understand the post. If I misunderstood it than I apologise.

Newsflash. Neither Beilama (Arkansas) or Anderson (Oregon State) succeeded after they left UW. But the train kept rolling. Chryst was a .500 guy at Pitt. Maybe it’s more the program than the coach.

If I was Gary Barta I would strive for more success, because success is fun. Winning more and taking the program to higher levels is fun. Being good at your job is fun.

But you are correct in saying he has no pressure from above to do anything different. Neither the past president nor the current one seem to care much. The athletic department is printing money so Gary, who has proven to be compelled inept at his job gets to continue to carry on. Unfortunate for Iowa fans but it’s likely not changing.
Ever see our record in the NACDA Director's Cup Big Ten rankings? Don't eat before viewing!

The Big Ten is going to be a gauntlet, no doubt.

I do think MSU and Wisconsin are Top 4 teams in the league, at least as it stands right now.

Michigan is No. 5 in the AP. MSU is No. 10 and Wisconsin No. 12. It's early. But they look like the three best teams in the conference right now.
And we only play Michigan once...at home...which gives us a chance. So 2 of our 5 toughest conference games happened to be our first 2 IMO. I'm not worried.

Yess! Well said.. But Hard aggressive tonite. Makes "warm beer taste cold" SORTA Go Tough Hawks...

And we only play Michigan once...at home...which gives us a chance. So 2 of our 5 toughest conference games happened to be our first 2 IMO. I'm not worried.
Wrong. Wisconsin at home was not one of our top 5 toughest B1G games. It would likely rank somewhere in the 8-10 range and I’d say closer to the 10 range given how we’ve seen Iowa play on the road recently.

If I were to rank the conference games. (And a lot of this comes directly from Kenpom and other models):
1. @Michigan State
2. @Wisconsin
3. @Ohio State
4. @Purdue
5. Michigan
6. Michigan State
7. @ Indiana
8. @ Nebraska
9. Wisconsin (Home) loss
10. Ohio State

Honestly speaking we will probably be bigger underdogs at NW and PSU then we were hosting Wisconsin. Home court is huge in college basketball and Iowa really needed to protect it against Uw.

What did each Big Ten team lose from last year.

MSU - Bridges and Jackson
MI - Abdur-Rahkman, Robinson and Wagner

WI - No one
IA - No one
NE - Gill and Taylor

OSU - Tate, Williams and Bates-Diop
PU - V. Edwards, Haas, Mathias and Thompson
IN - Johnson, Newkirk and Hartman
MD - Cekovsky, Nickens and Jackson
MN - Mason and Lynch
PSU - Garner and Carr

NW - Lindsey, McIntosh and Skelly
RUT - Freeman, Williams and Sanders
IL - Alstork, Black, Finke, Smith and Lucas

This is how I have the teams tiered as of today...no particular order within the tiers.

Michigan and Michigan State are good every year...and well coached.

Wisconsin, Iowa and Nebraska didn't lose much if anything. And both Iowa and Wisconsin had a high end and solid player respectively RS last year.

The teams in the next tier lost some key players...most for OSU and PU.

What did each Big Ten team lose from last year.

MSU - Bridges and Jackson
MI - Abdur-Rahkman, Robinson and Wagner

WI - No one
IA - No one
NE - Gill and Taylor

OSU - Tate, Williams and Bates-Diop
PU - V. Edwards, Haas, Mathias and Thompson
IN - Johnson, Newkirk and Hartman
MD - Cekovsky, Nickens and Jackson
MN - Mason and Lynch
PSU - Garner and Carr

NW - Lindsey, McIntosh and Skelly
RUT - Freeman, Williams and Sanders
IL - Alstork, Black, Finke, Smith and Lucas

This is how I have the teams tiered as of today...no particular order within the tiers.

Michigan and Michigan State are good every year...and well coached.

Wisconsin, Iowa and Nebraska didn't lose much if anything. And both Iowa and Wisconsin had a high end and solid player respectively RS last year.

The teams in the next tier lost some key players...most for OSU and PU.
Wow. Kenpom has Iowa 10th in the B1G behind Penn State and slightly ahead of NW and Minny.

Not losing anyone from a 4-14 B1G doesn’t make you some juggernaut. I think you fail to understand that these teams bring in big time freshman and transfers.

If you think facing Wisconsin at home is one of our top 5 toughest B1G games I think you lack and understanding of home court advantage in college basketball. Well your above referenced post shows you have a pretty warped view of reality to begin with.

Wrong. Wisconsin at home was not one of our top 5 toughest B1G games. It would likely rank somewhere in the 8-10 range and I’d say closer to the 10 range given how we’ve seen Iowa play on the road recently.

If I were to rank the conference games. (And a lot of this comes directly from Kenpom and other models):
1. @Michigan State
2. @Wisconsin
3. @Ohio State
4. @Purdue
5. Michigan
6. Michigan State
7. @ Indiana
8. @ Nebraska
9. Wisconsin (Home) loss
10. Ohio State

Honestly speaking we will probably be bigger underdogs at NW and PSU then we were hosting Wisconsin. Home court is huge in college basketball and Iowa really needed to protect it against Uw.
I was listening to Steven Bardo talk about playing on the road in the BIG. He said that for any team to go on the road and win, they have to be 10 pts better. He said that's how it's always been. 10 pts better on a neutral court will = a BIG conference road win. Who are we 10 pts better than in the BIG? Certainly not any of the teams you have listed in that post.

I worked in the cable TV business for eleven years as a video producer, public Access coordinator, and remote broadcast producer/director (some of our fellow posters finest high school moments may be in the athletic file of our vaults). They told us early in our careers that if the biz wanted to operate within the box and not strive for change and not have the competitive urge to do better we would still have three broadcast channels and PBS.

Did I read that post correctly? Doing things that have a high probability of failure make one a loser? Good thing I didn't listen. I grew up in a tough neighborhood where few went to college and fewer could afford it. Good thing the Wright Brothers didn't listen. I'm sure they failed many times before they got the plane off the ground.

I don't want to get too far out on a tangent. I'm just trying to understand the post. If I misunderstood it than I apologise.

If you do something that has a high probability of failure, you will more than likely fail. If you continue to do it over and over, it's only a matter of time before you're a loser.

Also your example of the Wright brothers doesn't make sense because they knew what they were doing. There wasnt a high probability of failure with them. If Iowa fires coach after coach in some attempt to be Ohio State, they will more than likely be Illinois. I think you are minimizing the part of the post that says "high probability of failure". What would your family think of you if you quit your job and dedicated your life to figuring out dark matter? They would probably think you were a loser.

Keep in mind that that post was in response to BigD who always posts about being a loser if you don't demand more. I guarantee if he was a Wisconsin fan he would be on their message boards demanding more and saying it's a loser mentality to not want national championships. If he was our AD and truly demanded that much and fired everyone who didn't deliver, he would be shit canned in a few years and it would take the university years to recover.

If you do something that has a high probability of failure, you will more than likely fail. If you continue to do it over and over, it's only a matter of time before you're a loser.

Also your example of the Wright brothers doesn't make sense because they knew what they were doing. There wasnt a high probability of failure with them. If Iowa fires coach after coach in some attempt to be Ohio State, they will more than likely be Illinois. I think you are minimizing the part of the post that says "high probability of failure". What would your family think of you if you quit your job and dedicated your life to figuring out dark matter? They would probably think you were a loser.
I was brought up to keep working at something until you didn't fail. I also learned how to get back up after being knocked down, which is the definition of adversity. It would do me no good to continue this conversation any further because I can't even pretend to get into the headspace of your arguement. I would might as well be talking in Swahili.

As for the Wright Brothers, and the test pilots and astronauts that followed them, there were tons of dangerous unknowns out there. They could only know what they were doing to an extent.

I was brought up to keep working at something until you didn't fail. I also learned how to get back up after being knocked down, which is the definition of adversity. It would do me no good to continue this conversation any further because I can't even pretend to get into the headspace of your arguement. I would might as well be talking in Swahili.

As for the Wright Brothers, and the test pilots and astronauts that followed them, there were tons of dangerous unknowns out there. They could only know what they were doing to an extent.
I sought out the best players and the best games that I could find. I took a lot of lumps along the way, in order to improve. That's what I did to get to the point where I won championships. All of those lumps/losses didn't make me a loser. It made me a champion.

I sought out the best players and the best games that I could find. I took a lot of lumps along the way, in order to improve. That's what I did to get to the point where I won championships. All of those lumps/losses didn't make me a loser. It made me a champion.
Off topic. Did you play with or against Ryan Driscoll in high school. Sad story. I just got back from an eighth grade game in Lancaster and haven't opened up the football threads yet.

Off topic. Did you play with or against Ryan Driscoll in high school. Sad story. I just got back from an eighth grade game in Lancaster and haven't opened up the football threads yet.
He was a couple of years younger than me. I did play against Kurt Warner in a few sports. I played quite a few pick up basketball games with him. People don't know it but he was a pretty good basketball player. All around good athlete.

The past is a great predictor of the future. Terrible defense last year, won’t be drastically better this year.

I will say this, I think most on here would agree with you that Barta is the problem.

When has Barry ever had to “demand” more from a coach? He hasn’t had to fire anyone, that’s some good hires, but that’s about it.