Howe: Closing Time - Final Thoughts on '18-19 Hawkeye Season

The '14-15 Hawkeyes, which was the senior season for Gesell, Woodbury, Clemmons and Uthoff, was 30th in Ken Pom's adjusted offensive efficiency and 34th in adjusted defensive efficiency.

As a comparison, this year's Hawkeyes were 15th in AOE and 111th in ADE.

I wasn't insinuating it was impossible for any iowa team to be good at both. I was just saying that if this particular team put in enough time in practice to become a top 30 team they would probably fall out of the top 10 in offense. I figured most people would agree with that.

I wasn't insinuating it was impossible for any iowa team to be good at both. I was just saying that if this particular team put in enough time in practice to become a top 30 team they would probably fall out of the top 10 in offense. I figured most people would agree with that.

My comment was not directed at you. That's why I didn't quote any of your comments in my post.

I've found it to be an interesting comparison between Iowa's last two NCAA Tournament teams that advanced the same distance in the NCAA Tournament.

There are different ways to win.

IMO, if this year's team practiced nothing but defense, it still wouldn't be in the Top 30.

The best defense is a good offense - that is Fran's philosophy I am pretty certain. I don't think some of his other teams practice D very much, his other teams didn't struggle with it like this one. This group is much more skilled offensively tho and I think last season opened his eyes and working on D became evident. There isn't a TON that can be done mid season and it's not like you can just change your hand in the middle of the year, so it was what it was. I think we saw improvement. I hope that continues on to next season and with the upper class Iowa will have you have to imagine it will.
It was better 110th versus like 213th from the debacle that was last year. BUT KenPom stats don't lie the Sweet 16 is chalk full of Top 50 Defenses and Top 60ish offenses so again you need to be able to get stops AND score a little. Continuing to languish with a 100 plus ranked defense won't get it done for top half finishes in the Big Ten or making deep runs into the tourney.

It was better 110th versus like 213th from the debacle that was last year. BUT KenPom stats don't lie the Sweet 16 is chalk full of Top 50 Defenses and Top 60ish offenses so again you need to be able to get stops AND score a little. Continuing to languish with a 100 plus ranked defense won't get it done for top half finishes in the Big Ten or making deep runs into the tourney.
no argument here. It might not need to be THAT high to get there, I mean, they almost got there this season without it, but you're point is still a good one. I hope they take ANOTHER step next season ....but really, a good offense is your best defense cause if you make your shot, you're way a head of the game getting set up.

The players usually have a good idea of where they stand in terms of how they stack up with other players on the roster. They practice against each every day. They can estimate where they fit into the rotation, if at all. They also meet with Fran in the near future and get an idea how he feels.
Good point.

My comment was not directed at you. That's why I didn't quote any of your comments in my post.

I've found it to be an interesting comparison between Iowa's last two NCAA Tournament teams that advanced the same distance in the NCAA Tournament.

IMO, if this year's team practiced nothing but defense, it still wouldn't be in the Top 30.

I was 50/50 on whether my post inspired you to make yours or not. I do agree that the ceiling for this team is lower than 30. The ceiling for offense is higher tho probably.

That's true Rob