Howe: Closing Time - Final Thoughts on '18-19 Hawkeye Season

I tried to find more time for Joe....but there's no way JBo plays less than 30 mins and Connor is most likely going to get 12-15 mins guaranteed....so as a guard, there's only so much time to go around. I suppose it's possible that Connor's could decrease to, say, 10 mins, which would put Joe's up to 14 mins. But with 80 mins for 2 guard spots, and with Moss getting 24ish and JBo getting 30ish, that leaves 26 mins for backup guard time....

Do you think that CJ Fredrick is not going to be a part of the rotation? Not arguing, just curious.

Do you think that CJ Fredrick is not going to be a part of the rotation? Not arguing, just curious.

I don’t think he’ll be part of a standard rotation...not this coming year. The year after, for sure, with Moss and JBo departing.

I tried to find more time for Joe....but there's no way JBo plays less than 30 mins and Connor is most likely going to get 12-15 mins guaranteed....so as a guard, there's only so much time to go around. I suppose it's possible that Connor's could decrease to, say, 10 mins, which would put Joe's up to 14 mins. But with 80 mins for 2 guard spots, and with Moss getting 24ish and JBo getting 30ish, that leaves 26 mins for backup guard time....

If Joe T can only get 10 minutes per game next year, we better recruit a ready to play point guard the year after or we're in serious trouble. Our guard spot was weak enough this year to where anyone who was going to end up being good would demand a lot more than 10 minutes next year. Dailey and Connor weren't very good at all. Moss is extremely inconsistent. Bohannon demands playing time but is only a 30 minute per game player out of necessity.

It's possible that things can change and they all can improve, but we needed one more guard pretty bad this year so if an incoming player isn't good enough to demand minutes next year, that's a bad sign for the future.

If Joe T can only get 10 minutes per game next year, we better recruit a ready to play point guard the year after or we're in serious trouble. Our guard spot was weak enough this year to where anyone who was going to end up being good would demand a lot more than 10 minutes next year. Dailey and Connor weren't very good at all. Moss is extremely inconsistent. Bohannon demands playing time but is only a 30 minute per game player out of necessity.

It's possible that things can change and they all can improve, but we needed one more guard pretty bad this year so if an incoming player isn't good enough to demand minutes next year, that's a bad sign for the future.

I think the challenge for Joe is going to be the problem of trying to play Jbo and Joe together because of their size. I am sure there will be instances where that will work against smaller teams, but in the big ten with big guards it will be really tough. From everything I have seen and heard about Joe is that he is tough, quick, hard worker, has a motor and is a great defender. So no matter how good or bad he can shoot, or how well he picks up the offense, those skills will translate, will be unique to this team and are badly, badly needed.

But one would think that with Joe on the court and not Jbo, we need to have some three point shooters on the floor. So maybe a lineup of Joe T, Wieskamp, Moss, Nunge or Garza, or dare I say Nunge and Garza? We may go small with Joe T, Wieskamp, Moss, Nunge and Jbo? Just thinking out loud.

Any way you look at it, Joe is going to be an integral part of this team and will play and I agree with you that he will get more than 10 minutes.

When it comes to who gets the minutes, one would think that with two coaches sons on the roster, their minutes will be slanted to more, rather than less playing time, compared to the others.

How good will Touissant be?

How much of an upgrade will Nunge be?

Will Iowa pay the price to become a defensive team?

Will there be any coaching changes on the staff to make the above happen?

If Cook comes back, will he have a jump shot, post moves, the heart of a rebounder?

Interesting season ahead with possibilities and unknowns.

The players usually have a good idea of where they stand in terms of how they stack up with other players on the roster. They practice against each every day. They can estimate where they fit into the rotation, if at all. They also meet with Fran in the near future and get an idea how he feels.

Yeah Joe Ts time would have to come at the expense of CM and Moss pretty much... JBo isn't going to play less then 30. He might even get a little bit more just depending.

The main stories going into next yr I see besides Cook again on if he stays or goes is to what extent will the impacts of Joe T and PM be. Baer graduating leaves a pretty big hole of not just energy and production but mins on the court as well. I find it tough to see Dailey sliding into that role. If Cook leaves to what extent Nunge and Pemsl slide in will be interesting.

One thing is certain. There's a lot of questions for a team that may only lose 1 player from last yr that didn't even start.

It’s kind of a funny thought process. On one hand you are saying our guard play isn’t very good, but on the other you are saying we are in trouble the year after next when we lose all our current guards. I understand what you are saying about Joe T should be able to get minutes, but quite honestly it should work itself out.

My guess is by 2020 you’d have:
PG: Joe T or 2020 recruit
SG: Joe W
SF: Pat Mac
PF: Nunge or Foster
C: Garza

Pat will likely be starting by then sliding Wieskamp up to the SG spot. So either Joe T or a 2020 recruit has to grab the PG spot by the horns by then. Per the 247 sports guys Iowa will bring at least two guards in 2020. They currently sit well with quite a few good looking guards. I guess I would have thought someone who has been extremely down on Moss and guard play here (with reason) would be excited to get a new batch of guards into the program, not concerned about it.

It’s kind of a funny thought process. On one hand you are saying our guard play isn’t very good, but on the other you are saying we are in trouble the year after next when we lose all our current guards. I understand what you are saying about Joe T should be able to get minutes, but quite honestly it should work itself out.

My guess is by 2020 you’d have:
PG: Joe T or 2020 recruit
SG: Joe W
SF: Pat Mac
PF: Nunge or Foster
C: Garza

Pat will likely be starting by then sliding Wieskamp up to the SG spot. So either Joe T or a 2020 recruit has to grab the PG spot by the horns by then. Per the 247 sports guys Iowa will bring at least two guards in 2020. They currently sit well with quite a few good looking guards. I guess I would have thought someone who has been extremely down on Moss and guard play here (with reason) would be excited to get a new batch of guards into the program, not concerned about it.

I'm not sure where I lost you. Bohannon and Moss are average Big 10 starters. Both will be gone after next year. Our bench guards have been pretty darn bad. If our new guards cant at least be better than our bench guards, it probably means they are pretty darn bad themselves.

You said guards either have it or they don't. If the first year players start at a point where they are behind Connor and Dailey, we are in huge trouble after next year unless Connor and/or Dailey improve a ton, which is of course possible. Do you not think it spells trouble for the future if Joe T and CJ aren't instantly better than Connor and Dailey?

I'm not sure where I lost you. Bohannon and Moss are average Big 10 starters. Both will be gone after next year. Our bench guards have been pretty darn bad. If our new guards cant at least be better than our bench guards, it probably means they are pretty darn bad themselves.

You said guards either have it or they don't. If the first year players start at a point where they are behind Connor and Dailey, we are in huge trouble after next year unless Connor and/or Dailey improve a ton, which is of course possible. Do you not think it spells trouble for the future if Joe T and CJ aren't instantly better than Connor and Dailey?
I see where you are coming from, I guess I’m just thinking it should work itself out. The unique thing about the Joe T situation is he’s coming into a position where we have a 4 year starter and our backup is the coaches son. It’s anyone’s guess how that could play out. I’m not sure how many minutes he gets but I just hope he shows he has the ability, whether it’s in 10 minutes or 25.

Then you have two guards likely coming in for 2020, Joe W likely sliding up to the 2 guard replacing Moss and getting Pat in the starting lineup. Again, I feel it should work itself out, and if it doesn’t than those saying Fran can’t get good guards are probably right on the money.

Here’s how the minutes were distributed this season among the top nine in the rotation:

Bohannon - 31.0 MPG
Cook - 30.9
Wieskamp - 27.7
Moss - 24.1
Garza - 23.6
Baer - 19.1
McCaffery - 18.6
Kriener - 13.1
Dailey - 12.5
I would have been wrong if I were to have guessed. I thought Wieskamp didn't play quite that much and that Baer had played more. I thought both of them would have been close to 23-25 mins a game almost splitting it evenly.

Yeah Joe Ts time would have to come at the expense of CM and Moss pretty much... JBo isn't going to play less then 30. He might even get a little bit more just depending.

The main stories going into next yr I see besides Cook again on if he stays or goes is to what extent will the impacts of Joe T and PM be. Baer graduating leaves a pretty big hole of not just energy and production but mins on the court as well. I find it tough to see Dailey sliding into that role. If Cook leaves to what extent Nunge and Pemsl slide in will be interesting.

One thing is certain. There's a lot of questions for a team that may only lose 1 player from last yr that didn't even start.

Many people keep mentioning how Baer leaving hurts us.
WE LITERALLY HAVE A CLONE OF HIM ON THE TEAM. So we're probably okay there.

Many people keep mentioning how Baer leaving hurts us.
WE LITERALLY HAVE A CLONE OF HIM ON THE TEAM. So we're probably okay there.
I don't think anyone is counting on that though... Lightning rarely strikes like that twice and Nick is just crazy special. I don't think it's downgrading his little bro to say that but he is.

My thought find the best 7 guys you can who want to and can play good solid D! If you look at the KenPom stats all Sweet 16 teams are one of the best 49 in total D we were 110th. The average being 15.6 of the 16 teams. New Flash for FRAN play some Goll DArn D coupled with that offense and you too can make a Sweet 16 run instead of always being eliminated 1 game in.

My thought find the best 7 guys you can who want to and can play good solid D! If you look at the KenPom stats all Sweet 16 teams are one of the best 49 in total D we were 110th. The average being 15.6 of the 16 teams. New Flash for FRAN play some Goll DArn D coupled with that offense and you too can make a Sweet 16 run instead of always being eliminated 1 game in.

If they practiced defense more to get better st it, it means they would practice offense less and get worse at it. Maybe it would make us overall better and maybe it wouldn't. But I don't think its realistic to assume our offense will stay the same if we spend more time making the defense better.

If they practiced defense more to get better st it, it means they would practice offense less and get worse at it. Maybe it would make us overall better and maybe it wouldn't. But I don't think its realistic to assume our offense will stay the same if we spend more time making the defense better.
As evidenced by this year's Sweet 16 group we don't need a top 10 or even a top 15 offense to win big but you DO need a top 50 Defense. Not sure why you can't be upper 1/3 on offense and defense seems like the successful teams do this all the time.

Additionally you may be closer to the program than I. How much or % of practice do they spend on Defense versus Offense?

Additionally you may be closer to the program than I. How much or % of practice do they spend on Defense versus Offense?
Gesell said they rarely practiced defense. That's all I really have to go by. It's possible his teams didnt need to because they were individually good defenders. It sure seems like they spend most of their time on offense tho since their offense is way better than the individual talent would suggest.Their defense is also way worse than their offense which is really odd to have players who are that good on offense and that bad on defense.

If I'm right and they work way more on offense, then in my opinion working more on defense would help the defense more than it would hurt the offense. This season is probably proof of that since they supposedly focused more on defense and actually improved on offense. That improvement is due to having better players this year tho so who knows.

The '14-15 Hawkeyes, which was the senior season for Gesell, Woodbury, Clemmons and Uthoff, was 30th in Ken Pom's adjusted offensive efficiency and 34th in adjusted defensive efficiency.

As a comparison, this year's Hawkeyes were 15th in AOE and 111th in ADE.

The best defense is a good offense - that is Fran's philosophy I am pretty certain. I don't think some of his other teams practice D very much, his other teams didn't struggle with it like this one. This group is much more skilled offensively tho and I think last season opened his eyes and working on D became evident. There isn't a TON that can be done mid season and it's not like you can just change your hand in the middle of the year, so it was what it was. I think we saw improvement. I hope that continues on to next season and with the upper class Iowa will have you have to imagine it will.