Howe: Big Ten Hoops Power Rankings 1-14

RobHowe

Administrator
My first B1G Basketball Power Rankings of the Season. I'm sure we'll disagree. That's OK. That's why us media types write them:

LINK

Maybe it should just me but I feel like college basketball as a whole is down a lot this year. This years Sparty team doesn’t seem near as good as past Izzo teams and they are a top 10 team and probably going to be a 1 or 2 seed. I feel Iike Beilein has had a couple teams better or as good as this one and they are #2 in the country headed for a likely one seed.

The B1G conference had a great non conference run this year and should propel a few extra teams into the dance. Is the conference really all that good? I’m not sure. Seems like two high quality teams and then about 8 average teams that can look good on some nights and can look flat out terrible on others.

Maybe that’s just my perception though.

Maybe it should just me but I feel like college basketball as a whole is down a lot this year. This years Sparty team doesn’t seem near as good as past Izzo teams and they are a top 10 team and probably going to be a 1 or 2 seed. I feel Iike Beilein has had a couple teams better or as good as this one and they are #2 in the country headed for a likely one seed.

The B1G conference had a great non conference run this year and should propel a few extra teams into the dance. Is the conference really all that good? I’m not sure. Seems like two high quality teams and then about 8 average teams that can look good on some nights and can look flat out terrible on others.

Maybe that’s just my perception though.

I think one issue is the blood bloods arent very good this year. There's duke and there's everyone else. Kentucky and UNC have been iffy, Syracuse sucks. Arizona and Louisville are mediocre. Kansas lost one of their studs for the year, UCLA is LOL.

The star power is severely lacking

I think one issue is the blood bloods arent very good this year. There's duke and there's everyone else. Kentucky and UNC have been iffy, Syracuse sucks. Arizona and Louisville are mediocre. Kansas lost one of their studs for the year, UCLA is LOL.

Nevada is on a mission with a senior dominated team. Texas Tech isn't far behind. Gonzaga is Gonzaga. Virginia will rise above all and win the ACC. Rick Barnes at Tennessee is doing what he has done for thirty years. He's a coaches coach.

Think of how crazy the NCAA tournament could be if we're having this much mayhem during the regular season. It could make last year look like child's play.

Cuse just beat Duke at Cameron Indoor. :)

Nevada is on a mission with a senior dominated team. Texas Tech isn't far behind. Gonzaga is Gonzaga. Virginia will rise above all and win the ACC. Rick Barnes at Tennessee is doing what he has done for thirty years. He's a coaches coach.

Think of how crazy the NCAA tournament could be if we're having this much mayhem during the regular season. It could make last year look like child's play.

Yeah but none of those teams are really "blue blood" schools that interest the average CBB fan....IMO

I agree that the current state is more exciting in that there will be a lot more team upset in the tournament and a lot more teams that can make the final four. Thats a good thing for basketball IMO, but maybe not for ratings

That's the Nebraska team I saw before their game with us. I thought that was a sure loss. Then they go in to Indiana and roll them.

Maybe we Hawks aint so bad then? Also...WI fricken sucks that loss in Carver may cost us one way or another.

Looks like Pitt is coming on a little and that helps quite a bit. Clowns better pick it up though...big win followed by two duds one at home. If Iowa can keep up the intensity and steadily improve (BIG, BIG IF under Fran), I think they can finish anywhere from 3rd to 8th.

I'm more encouraged about the Indiana game now. Not saying we will win, but they only managed 51 points against Nebraska, at home. That tells me that they're not an offensive juggernaut which is good since we're not a defensive juggernaut.

Before last night's games I had Nebraska at 8 and in Tier 2. Now I have them at 7 in Tier 2 with Indiana at 8 in Tier 3. But it's splitting hairs to argue your rankings with things being so fluid in the Big 10 this year.

It will be an interesting NCAA Tournament. Last year Michigan was lucky to hit a 35 or 40 foot shot to advance. Then their side of the bracket cleared out with upset after upset and they made it all the way to the finals. There is a definite luck factor. No one will ever convince me they were the 2nd best team in the country last year.

I could see the same thing happening again this year. And the NCAA Tournament should just be an extension of the 20 game conference season for Big 10 teams. There are 10 conference teams as good as the majority of this year's NCAA field IMO. And there are 2 teams...Michigan and Michigan State...as good as the top tier NCAA teams. I don't think it's unrealistic to think there could be half a dozen conference teams in the Sweet 16 come March.

Maybe we Hawks aint so bad then? Also...WI fricken sucks that loss in Carver may cost us one way or another.
I'm not saying that. I'm saying that the BIG is unpredictable, Iowa included. If we keep playing defense like we are, we'll be in most every game. That's the goal, IMO. Coming off of last season, being in every game at the end, is a huge improvement.
That doesn't mean I am backing off of wanting a new coach. I still do. I don't think Fran will ever accomplish anything at Iowa. Gutless Gary has made sure that Fran has ample opportunity to prove me wrong.

I'm not saying that. I'm saying that the BIG is unpredictable, Iowa included. If we keep playing defense like we are, we'll be in most every game. That's the goal, IMO. Coming off of last season, being in every game at the end, is a huge improvement.
That doesn't mean I am backing off of wanting a new coach. I still do. I don't think Fran will ever accomplish anything at Iowa. Gutless Gary has made sure that Fran has ample opportunity to prove me wrong.

Define what not accomplishing anything at Iowa means.

We will roll the Badgers in Madison if they keep playing like this. They're starting to lose the close games they used to win with Bo Ryan on the bench.