Howe: As the Hawkeye World Turns...

Please god no with that starting 5. If that’s the starting 5 I don’t think this is an NCAA tournament team.

2 guys who can’t shoot a lick in McCaffery and Pemsl, 3 guys who are severely outmatched in footspeed at their position Garza, Pemsl, Bohannon (McCaffery probably is to). That team would be a serious downgrade on offense from the last two years and a step down on defense from a bad defensive team last year. Let’s hope that Nunge, Toussaint, and CJF are better players than Connor and Pemsl have shown to date.

Please god no with that starting 5. If that’s the starting 5 I don’t think this is an NCAA tournament team.

2 guys who can’t shoot a lick in McCaffery and Pemsl, 3 guys who are severely outmatched in footspeed at their position Garza, Pemsl, Bohannon (McCaffery probably is to). That team would be a serious downgrade on offense from the last two years and a step down on defense from a bad defensive team last year. Let’s hope that Nunge, Toussaint, and CJF are better players than Connor and Pemsl have shown to date.

For the record, that's my prediction not my preference.

Nunge, CJ, and Toussaint are key for this coming year, no doubt about it.

Pemsl in the starting lineup? In this scenario, maybe, kind of like Moss, give him his minutes early, if he's hot play him, if not, sit him. He's never shown much of an offensive game and I don't see an off season of rehab changing that. Hen, what's he had now for surgeries on his legs, three? We don't even know if his body will stand up to the rigors of B1G BB.

I don't know what to think about Patrick, you like what you read but how will that transfer to the court, kind of like his big brother.

Pemsl in the starting lineup? In this scenario, maybe, kind of like Moss, give him his minutes early, if he's hot play him, if not, sit him. He's never shown much of an offensive game and I don't see an off season of rehab changing that. Hen, what's he had now for surgeries on his legs, three? We don't even know if his body will stand up to the rigors of B1G BB.

I don't know what to think about Patrick, you like what you read but how will that transfer to the court, kind of like his big brother.
He’s rated higher than Connor. Couldn’t he be another Wieskamp? I expect him to fall somewhere in between...hopefully closer to Wieskamp.

Pemsl is this team's best glue guy with Baer gone. I don't see him logging big minutes, but he can help set a tone early in games, do the little things, screen, run offense that he knows well, rebound, and bring energy and toughness like he did against Iowa State last year.

As I said, I'm trying to get into Fran's head a little bit. I think Nunge is best coming off the bench until he shows the aggressiveness needed at this level. But, honestly, we have no idea what we're going to get from him or the other unproven guys.

That's why believing Iowa is better off without Cook and Moss is blind optimism. Those guys already were productive Big Ten players who one would hope could take another step as seniors in a college basketball world where experience is rare.

Yes. Fran is hyping up Nunge, Fredrick, etc. That's Fran. He hyped up Oglesby, Ellingson, Dale Jones, etc.

I’m not sure I would agree that Pemsl has never shown much of an offensive game. As a freshman he averaged 8.9 points in about 19 minutes per game. His offensive rating was higher than both Cook and Bohannon that season.

Pemsl’s issue is he is a tweener. Realistically he should be a center but he has the height of a power forward. He would have a very tough time keeping up with the 4 men in this league defensively.

My thought is that Garza and Kriener will probably lock down the 5 spot again. Nunge will play the majority of the minutes at the 4 with Pemsl playing some minutes at the 4 as an energy guy.

Losing Cook and Moss and saying Iowa will be better without them is absolutely blind optimism. I don't see how it can even be possible.... but stating impending doom because of it seems also a little over the top. We have no idea what the additions are going to provide this team next season and even with those guys moving on, Iowa is still going to have a team full of upper class players w/ known commodities in Jordan B, Joe W and Luka Garza. That's a nice place to start. The off season news hasn't been "great" and even an optimist like me can admit that. That said, the news isn't devastating. It isn't like suddenly we moved back to a 4 win B1G team. It really doesn't change my outlook at where I expect this program to go moving forward.

I personally liked IM's game, always wanted him in - but really, we're talking about a guy who in most fan's eyes was barely filling his seat and living up to his scholarship at most times the last 3 seasons (not me personally, but if you took a pulse of message board fodder). I think it's a blow and not good for Iowa that IM transferred, I also think it's now getting a little over hyped.

Just my opinion.

Iowa would be a better team with Moss and Cook on it next year.

Any chance Moss puts his name in the ring for transferring and pulls it back out if he doesn't get an offer for the kind of minutes/expanded role he wants? I know he made a big to-do about transferring, but I'd hope that Fran's at least kept that door open.

Any chance Moss puts his name in the ring for transferring and pulls it back out if he doesn't get an offer for the kind of minutes/expanded role he wants? I know he made a big to-do about transferring, but I'd hope that Fran's at least kept that door open.

You never say never, but I don't think he changes his mind.

.... but stating impending doom because of it seems also a little over the top. We have no idea what the additions are going to provide this team next season

Not having good additions at this point is the basis for doom, not just for next season, but beyond.

I was listening to Adam Haluksa on a local radio station earlier this week express some concerns about the dynamic of this roster. He wasn't taking a shot at Fran or his sons. He always supportive of the program.

He talked about players needing some space for themselves away from the staff. Not that they rip the coaches, but sometimes just commiserate if they or the team are struggling. They need an ability to vent frustrations.

With Connor and Pat on the roster, that could be hard to do, he said.

I don't think Adam is saying it's an issue and I am in no way promoting it as being one. I just found it an interesting angle from a former Hawkeye star. There's a different dynamic when there are coach's kids on the team.

Losing Cook and Moss and saying Iowa will be better without them is absolutely blind optimism. I don't see how it can even be possible.... but stating impending doom because of it seems also a little over the top. We have no idea what the additions are going to provide this team next season and even with those guys moving on, Iowa is still going to have a team full of upper class players w/ known commodities in Jordan B, Joe W and Luka Garza. That's a nice place to start. The off season news hasn't been "great" and even an optimist like me can admit that. That said, the news isn't devastating. It isn't like suddenly we moved back to a 4 win B1G team. It really doesn't change my outlook at where I expect this program to go moving forward.

I personally liked IM's game, always wanted him in - but really, we're talking about a guy who in most fan's eyes was barely filling his seat and living up to his scholarship at most times the last 3 seasons (not me personally, but if you took a pulse of message board fodder). I think it's a blow and not good for Iowa that IM transferred, I also think it's now getting a little over hyped.

Just my opinion.
For me my outlook has very much changed. I was hoping we would have Moss as a starting guard this year and potentially DJ Harvey the following year. Starting to also wonder if next year could be Wieskamp’s final year at Iowa.

As I noted elsewhere the 2020 recruiting class appears to be all in on XF, and if we don't land him I think we are looking at another very disappointing class.

I was never one of those people that thought Fran had peaked at Iowa, but I’m starting to wonder if those folks might have been one something. I have a tough time seeing any of the teams for the coming years at anything more than a bubble ncaa level.

It’s basketball and things can change very fast, so maybe I’m overreacting some, but it doesn’t feel very good right now.

I was listening to Adam Haluksa on a local radio station earlier this week express some concerns about the dynamic of this roster. He wasn't taking a shot at Fran or his sons. He always supportive of the program.

He talked about players needing some space for themselves away from the staff. Not that they rip the coaches, but sometimes just commiserate if they or the team are struggling. They need an ability to vent frustrations.

I don't think Adam is saying it's an issue and I am in no way promoting it as being one. I just found it an interesting angle from a former Hawkeye star. There's a different dynamic when there are coach's kids on the team.

Not trying to be a douche, but don't we already know this? So does Fran need to have a conversation or two with Kirk on how family dynamics work? I don't know, man. I am sure Fran is aware of the "awkwardness".

and the difference between one kid and two is significant. One kid would tend to want to be one of the guys, and prove he deserved his minutes. With two brothers, you get a little of the " insider/outsider" thing going...they're a bit more likely to stick up for each other and their Dad...or think it's "their" team. Not good and it certainly can't help with recruiting.

This will not end well.