Howard should be done at Michigan

Those suggesting Gard started this apparently have never refereed sports or had to analyze the full picture in a tense, potentially explosive environment.

Both coaches appeared to be engaging in one-upsman-ship towards the end of the game: Gard in inserting his deep reserves late with a big lead; Howard continuing to press when the game seems hopelessly out of hand. I don't have a problem with either action. Play basketball. Give players on both sides playing experience.

Howard didn't like the timeout. He supposedly didn't join his huddle and glowered at the Wisconsin bench. At the end of the game he held back briefly, then as he approached Gard commented to the effect "I will remember that" referring to the timeout. He then attempted to brush past Gard without looking at him, which is a passive aggressive BS move. Gard appears to grab his arm and stop him to react to the comment.

Should Gard have simply let it go? He's enough of a competitor I don't think he does.

Both coaches are dislikable people and come off looking really bad in this. I would expect both to get some sort of discipline. Unless something else was said, I don't think Gard was the one to instigate it. But he also did nothing to tamp it down when it boiled over.

This. First rule of man-to-man disagreement (at least here in Waterloo): don't put your hands on the other guy. Period. Once you initiate putting your hands on somebody, the situation will typically spiral out of control. So IMO Gard is responsible for starting this. Running your mouth is acceptable; putting your hands to stop someone's movement is not. Gard should receive a 2 game suspension.

Howard demonstrated his immaturity by ordering his players to play/press until the final second, but then expecting the opposing coach to not do so. An entitlement mentality that typically won't play in the BTen. Then his girlie slap was almost humorous, and his claim he felt the need to "defend himself" might play if he was a white cop in MS and there was no video evidence, but in this case the video proves otherwise. He's a young, immature coach who's got a lot to learn. He should be suspended for the duration of the regular season, and allowed to coach his team in the NIT.

Any players or coaches who threw punches should be immediately suspended for the rest of the season and postseason. Simple.
After watching the punch/slap I have concluded that Juwan's first reaction was to throw a haymaker. However, mid punch he realized this is a bad move on my part and being a former athlete had enough quickness left in the tank to convert it into the awkward reach/slap mess up his hair move. I suspect both coaches and that assistant are going to see suspensions with probably Juwan taking the brunt of the time. Probably see some players get time off as well once they review the tapes.

“Don’t tell me what is and isn’t racist. I have Black friends. There’s no such thing as white supremacy. Work hard. This system is fair and equal for everyone. Damn leftist media is trying to race bait. Racism in a overblown story in this country.”

ok. Now I’m done. Can’t reason with willful ignorance posting anonymously on the internet.

Those suggesting Gard started this apparently have never refereed sports or had to analyze the full picture in a tense, potentially explosive environment.

Both coaches appeared to be engaging in one-upsman-ship towards the end of the game: Gard in inserting his deep reserves late with a big lead; Howard continuing to press when the game seems hopelessly out of hand. I don't have a problem with either action. Play basketball. Give players on both sides playing experience.

Howard didn't like the timeout. He supposedly didn't join his huddle and glowered at the Wisconsin bench. At the end of the game he held back briefly, then as he approached Gard commented to the effect "I will remember that" referring to the timeout. He then attempted to brush past Gard without looking at him, which is a passive aggressive BS move. Gard appears to grab his arm and stop him to react to the comment.

Should Gard have simply let it go? He's enough of a competitor I don't think he does.

Both coaches are dislikable people and come off looking really bad in this. I would expect both to get some sort of discipline. Unless something else was said, I don't think Gard was the one to instigate it. But he also did nothing to tamp it down when it boiled over.

Howard was the one who "started it" but Gard is the one who set off the chain of events that led to his coach getting smacked and players throwing punches. Had Gard kept walking or even just used his own voice to mouth back at Howard we probably would have a thread 5 pages long on the topic.

I just don't think Gard is blameless in all of this, you just don't grab someone who is visibly pissed off and I think his assistant coaches made poor decisions as well. But I doubt the league does anything to them. I think it will be punishment for Howard and the players who threw punches.

As corny as this may sound I do like the sportsmanship aspect of it. I am 105 years old so you may be right...it is a different world now and it may be time to do away with it.

The NHL has the long handshake skating line after a game deciding playoff series game. But the hockey players always celebrate with their teammates and fans for a few minutes before the handshake line. There are definitely hotter tempers in NHL hockey after a long playoff series but they do not have any issues as the time span gives them enough time to cool off. Plus normally all the paybacks have taken place on the ice during the games.

I am fine with letting the 5 Bball players on the floor shake hands but getting rid of the whole handshake line.

Ugh. This whole thing has turned into a racial/woke debate and it has nothing to do with what happened after the game yesterday, yet here we are. This isn't the only place I'm seeing the R word being thrown out in regard to this incident, either. This nonsense has permeated every aspect of life and I've had enough of it being thrown in our faces all day every day.

I didn't come here for this.

Guess I'll go read a good book.

Later.

My prediction Howard will get a 6-8 game suspension and Gard, Assistants and players involved will get a 1-2 game suspension.

My prediction Howard will get a 6-8 game suspension and Gard, Assistants and players involved will get a 1-2 game suspension.

I doubt Gard gets anything even though he shares some responsibility of what happened. But what Gard did gets foreshadowed big time by what happened next. I think Howard is done for the rest of the year and the players who threw punches get 2 game suspension.

No excuse for Howard's actions but WI called a TO with 15 seconds left and a 15 point lead. There's probably some history behind all of this.

Well the whole story I read was that Howard had his team full court pressing the Wisky subs with 20+ seconds left and behind by 15. The Wisky subs got into a trap so Gard called timeout to reset the center court clock to 10 seconds. Howard was an ass pressing down by 5 treys with 20+ seconds to go. F him

Ugh. This whole thing has turned into a racial/woke debate and it has nothing to do with what happened after the game yesterday, yet here we are. This isn't the only place I'm seeing the R word being thrown out in regard to this incident, either. This nonsense has permeated every aspect of life and I've had enough of it being thrown in our faces all day every day.

I didn't come here for this.

Guess I'll go read a good book.

Later.

Don't let the door hit your ass on the way out.

Well the whole story I read was that Howard had his team full court pressing the Wisky subs with 20+ seconds left and behind by 15. The Wisky subs got into a trap so Gard called timeout to reset the center court clock to 10 seconds. Howard was an ass pressing down by 5 treys with 20+ seconds to go. F him
Howard knows how the game is supposed to be played. If you are loosing badley and want the game to end, you empty your bench first as a signal you would like a merciful end to the game. If you keep pressing, the team in the lead is under no obligation to call off the dogs. This is all on Howard.