How to stop Michigan

The answer is to disciplined, lane-control defense, and then punish Robinson for keeping the ball

He's gotta survive a very physical MSU defense first. Norm will be ready for whatever he's got. my advice to DR is that he better tie his shoes the next two weeks!!

Everyone keeps talking about how Michigan state is going to show people how to stop Michigan like they have some great defense.

They gave up 31 points to Notre Dame and 24 to Wisconsin (who hasn't looked great on offense) and are ranked 20th against the run and 73rd against the pass (39th overall)

They have great athletes but i think people (myself included before i looked at the stats) are giving their D too much credit.

The answer is to disciplined, lane-control defense, and then punish Robinson for keeping the ball

This.

It simply comes down to the defense staying disiciplined and executing. As long as the D-line and the LB's are controlling their assigned gaps, Robinson will have nowhere to run and will be forced to beat us with his arm. There is no way they have a chance against us if we force Denard to be one-dimensional.

4-4 cover 2 all day. Kirk said in post game they haven't even considered 5-2. Having 4 linebackers in zone means robinson gets hurt this game. Cover 2 has the corners and safeties deep to make up for any mistakes the linebackers make in coverage.

As many people have said staying disciplined and always playing your assignment is the key. If you get caught out of position against a guy like Denard you will NOT be looking forward to watching film after the game.

I'm sure they will go over this repeatedly in practice but I do worry about Clayborn and Binns using their speed rush a little too much in this game. They are both aggresive play-making defensive ends so it will be hard for them to not use a move they are usually very successful with. It's too easy for a QB as fast as Robinson to step up underneath a speed rush by a DE and take off. He's dangerous when he gets into space... the only way to limit that space is to stay in your lane and when someone gets a hand on him you have to swarm to the football. They did this very well against GT but Robinson is probably faster than anyone that was in the Tech backfield.

When Denard "ran all over us" last year he consumed ~8 minutes running the ball in short increments for their TD drive when he was down 2 scores with ~12 minutes left. I believe this was Norm/Kirk's intention. Make them use up the clock with short runs. Not what fans like to see, but it worked. I'm just saying I wouldn't give Robinson too much credit for that series because it lost them the game.
BTW this led to a forced interception when he had to drive with ~ 1 min left on the clock.

Not quite...

V 1-10 V41 MICHIGAN drive start at 07:42.

V 1-10 V41 16-Robinson, D. at QB for Michigan. V 1-10 V41 [SG], 16-Robinson, D. rush up middle for 8 yards to the MICH49 (94-Clayborn, A.;43-Angerer, Pat).

V 2-2 V49 [SG], 16-Robinson, D. rush right for 2 yards to the IOWA49, 1ST DOWN MICH (43-Angerer, Pat).

V 1-10 H49 [SG], 16-Robinson, D. rush left for 5 yards to the IOWA44 (43-Angerer, Pat;49-Edds, A.J.).

V 2-5 H44 [SG], 16-Robinson, D. pass complete to 22-Stonum, Darryl for 9 yards to the IOWA35, 1ST DOWN MICH (28-Prater, Shaun;49-Edds, A.J.).

V 1-10 H35 [SG], 16-Robinson, D. rush left for 3 yards to the IOWA32 (43-Angerer, Pat;95-Klug, Karl).

V 2-7 H32 [SG], 16-Robinson, D. rush for 9 yards to the IOWA23, 1ST DOWN MICH (91-Binns, B.).

V 1-10 H23 [SG], 16-Robinson, D. rush left for 7 yards to the IOWA16 (43-Angerer, Pat).

V 2-3 H16 [SG], 16-Robinson, D. pass complete to 21-Hemingway, J. for 7 yards to the IOWA9, 1ST DOWN MICH (28-Prater, Shaun).

V 1-G H09 [SG], 20-Shaw, Michael rush up middle for 1 yard to the IOWA8 (94-Clayborn, A.).

V 2-G H08 [SG], 16-Robinson, D. rush left for 5 yards to the IOWA3 (42-Hunter, J.;46-Ballard, C.).

V 3-G H03 [SG], 16-Robinson, D. rush up middle for 3 yards to the IOWA0, TOUCHDOWN, clock 03:16.

That drive took 4:26 and not only did it not lose them the game, it actually gave them a chance to win the game with that final drive because Forcier sure wasn't getting it done through the air.

4-4 cover 2 all day. Kirk said in post game they haven't even considered 5-2. Having 4 linebackers in zone means robinson gets hurt this game. Cover 2 has the corners and safeties deep to make up for any mistakes the linebackers make in coverage.

????? I'm confused...

1) 4-4 Cover 2...are you going to not cover one of the outside receivers? Are you going to slide one of those 4 LB's all the way out to the numbers to man up a WR? It's not Canada...we only get 11 men on the field. 4-4 means 4 DL and 4 LB's, while Cover 2 would signify 2 safeties. That only leaves 1 CB on the field...

2) Cover 2 has safeties deep...CB's are usually the flat defenders unless it's an inverted Cover 2, where the safeties come up and the CB's take deep halves. And they aren't back there to make up for mistakes in coverage...they are back there because that IS their coverage. LB's and CB's take the short stuff, and the safeties take the deeper stuff (simplified explanation).

Lots of good info key will be contain and tackle no matter what are scheme is for sure. Should be fun too see.

Contain and tackle. You do that, you can contain him. As for last year, he gave them a shot to win. He chucked the int at the end, yes, but don't forget he had a guy wide open underneath that may still be running if he hits him. That was a freshman mistake. He is much better now, or has been to this point. MSUs defense is good, but it isn't anything close to Iowa's. They give up points. If they shut him down, that's a bad sign for Michigan, but if they don't I don't think it means anything in terms of Iowa.

When Denard "ran all over us" last year he consumed ~8 minutes running the ball in short increments for their TD drive when he was down 2 scores with ~12 minutes left. I believe this was Norm/Kirk's intention. Make them use up the clock with short runs. Not what fans like to see, but it worked. I'm just saying I wouldn't give Robinson too much credit for that series because it lost them the game.
BTW this led to a forced interception when he had to drive with ~ 1 min left on the clock.

This is the key...no big plays. Last year DR was in for something like 14 plays and he ran it 9 times. No way he can sustain that through a game or he would have to run the ball 50+ times. We stop the RB's/play good coverage and let DR have his 6 yards a pop (he averaged 5.4 YPC last year). If he runs 30 times that is 180 yards of offense. We need prevent the big run and limit the easy throws and will be OK.

We will score some points against these guys.

I watched the Indiana game last week and I think the most important thing is that the secondary tackle well. Robinson threw a couple simple 5 yard slants where the wr broke a cb tackle and got a large gain. I don't see that happening against Iowa.

You have one LB shadow Robinson and play him as if it will be a run every time. Our d-line is good enough to clog the middle and contain. We did something similar in the 2nd half against ISU 3 years ago when Arnaud was killing us with the run in the 1st half. I think he had like 70 yds rushing at half. We shut him down in the 2nd. I think you approach this game the same way.

I don't envision much of a change in our defensive philosophy at the beginnning of the game as I think we are stout enough to force Robinson into some mistakes. Adjustments will be made throughout the game if necessary.

Sorry, but have not read the posts yet so sorry if this has been mentioned. But, Iowa needs to take away his run. The only way Michigan will beat you is if you let him get the yrds on the ground, or at least give you team the best chance to win.

So, what a team should do is have two spies, & in particular the two outside LB's & have them only concentrate on DR & take away his runs. This is a gimmick offense that will only work with the QB getting rushing yrds. The two outside LB's will be the most mobile. Have them at least take away the outside & push DR to the middle of the field on runs. Then the d-backs can come up & help when needed. It is key to keep him in the middle of the field.

You take the chances with his arm. If he can beat you with his arm, then so-be-it, but, you have to take away one of his game-changing attributes. THE RUN!

You know he's going to run 55% of the time, so do not blitz & make sure your D ends solidify the outside & push him to the middle so the LB's can tackle him. It's important to not have Binns & Clayborn up field where DR can get behind or around them.

It comes down to assignments & covering areas which Iowa does really well.

Iowa will do what it does best on defense. Contain and play assignment football. What the Hawks need to improve on is tackling, and I beleive they will clean that up this bye week. DR is a very gifted athlete, and seems to do a good job avoiding big hits with his agility and speed.

MSU is similar to Iowa on Defense, and may be just as physical. I think MSU will be playing at a high emotional level for this game vs. Michigan and will test the Michigan offense for the first time this season.

MSU is the perfect opponent for Michigan to play before Iowa.

Remember this game is on the road, and Iowa cannot get down big early like what happened in the desert. If can control the game with our offense, score touchdowns to their field goals, don't turn the ball over and play decent special teams, the Hawks should win the game.

Latest posts