How to refer to what has happened here at HN

thejumper5

So as a user-base, I think it is important that we come to an agreement about what to call what has happened today at HN. I nominate calling it "The time warp." Any other suggestions?
Go Hawkeye Football! (Just though I would say that so this doesn't get moved from the football forum).

how about "Jon's hard lesson of always keeping a db backup off site?" ;)

How is that Jon's problem? That's all on the hosting company. That's what you pay them money for. How would Jon backup data that not on-site for him to touch? Is he supposed to drive to wherever the server farm is and back it up every week?

How is that Jon's problem? That's all on the hosting company. That's what you pay them money for. How would Jon backup data that not on-site for him to touch? Is he supposed to drive to wherever the server farm is and back it up every week?

Stormin - Couldn't Jon have an FTP connection and download the HN dB directory files to his local Hard Drive? I'm retired now, but I used that method of file backup, when the host site did not have an automatic backup. I even had a utility program that automatically connected and replaced the files locally each night.

OK..............bring me us up to speed, fellas.

What caused 'The Incident'?

Thanks in advance for a simplified answer to a complex problem.

I'm pretty sure this is what happened: Some dork in a windowless room stacked too many lord of the rings figurines on a shelf and it collapsed knocking over a 5 week old half-full bottle of mountain dew that spilled onto a server shorting it out and erasing all data. Approximately.

Stormin - Couldn't Jon have an FTP connection and download the HN dB directory files to his local Hard Drive? I'm retired now, but I used that method of file backup, when the host site did not have an automatic backup. I even had a utility program that automatically connected and replaced the files locally each night.

Nowadays, that's what you pay the ISP/hosting company for. Any self-respecting hosting company images its server / takes snapshots / etc...

Jon could get a FTP connection, maybe even a VPN to "his" server, I'd assume. I'm not sure if he'd have to do incremental backups due to the size of the site or not. I am sure the user db itself is pretty large. That's why on-site backup (to either tape or HDD or whatever) makes more sense.

how about "Jon's hard lesson of always keeping a db backup off site?" ;)

When referring to the "db backup", he may have been referring to you... his backup, that happens to be a "db". :p (had to do it)