How to recruit 4 and 5 star athletes at Iowa

And don't forget to tell them UI plays one of the easy schedules in all of college football and starting next year I believe it's rated the weakest schedule of all Div 1 teams. Playing cupcakes can mask a lot of issues.

I tried to find a non-negative not sarcastic post in your past but failed. We get it, you hate Iowa sports.

You guys are thinking too hard on this.

All you need to do is increase the maximum number of stars from 5 to 8, and we will have plenty of 4 and 5 star players.

Last edited:
yep, the $EC strategy. you forgot one thing, you don't have to go to class if you don't wanna.

Reminds me of an old joke that went around Central Florida back in 1987. As background, after winning the 1987 Florida Citrus Bowl (now Cap One Bowl), The Orlando Sentinel printed a story about "local" St. Cloud boy Brent Fullwood playing all season for Auburn...having attended NO classes. In addition, Auburn's QB had accepted "extra benefits" and was punished for the game against Florida by...missing EXACTLY one play. Florida's QB, Kerwin Bell, expressed some resentment that some schools had this approach/attitude (kinda rich coming from a Florida player). So the joke?

"What do Kerwin Bell and Brent Fullwood have in common? Answer: neither one went to college at Auburn!"

I think there are basically three things that stand out to me if you are trying to recruit higher rated players:

1) Do you win consistently and get to major bowl games (ie exposure)?
2) Is the program respected in NFL circles for developing players that are prepared for what the NFL requires, both mentally and physically?
3) Does your coaching staff relate well to today's players and can they close the deal in the living room.

The answer to the first question has no doubt hurt Iowa...although successful through KF's tenure, we have had years where the team hasn't performed on the field and it's hurt recruiting. Question two is a huge selling point and one that should be clear to a prospect. And number three just got a huge upgrade last year. Brian Ferentz, Lavar, and Chris White have already shown ability in getting the guys they want...now with the program clearly on the upswing, it's time to nail down the more highly rated guys we want. I think it happens.

Easy, get a three star with a good attitude and give him weights and good coaching. Five star

This is so very true and gets overlooked. Outside if the very elite 5 stars, in most positions the difference between high 3s, 4s, and even some 5s isnt much.

I like the coach we have and how we conduct business. HawkeyeMHA hit it on the head. That is the kind of recruits I want. Kirk may not give the best sales pitch but he is straight forward and wants players to succeed and recruits players who will succeed in his system. With the entitlement of some 5 star players, Iowa would have the death penalty probably. I know...I know winning is everything right? Nevermind. I will go back to my Kirk Ferentz apologist clubhouse and be ok with 8-4 records and January bowl games.

Don't need the 4 and 5 stars. Star system is total bs. 2 star + Doyle = All-American.

Just recruit 25 Bob Sanderses every year.

Then we'd have a team with 100 All-American DBs.

^^^ Thats it. People, including coaches who have a, "will not be denied" attitude. That goes a very long way.
So much is done in street clothes, film study, sns training, grades and even "captains meetings". You have to have people who are all in and will not be denied.
We will see if that is getting ingrained once again as next year looks to be a year where the Hawks could control their own destiny.

consistently? from out of state? then you're getting into shady territory. Iowa's only chance to succeed in recruiting is finding and developing under the radar talent.

we'll see if the new staff can recruit. they seem to all be an upgrade. that might mean the difference in getting a few more 4* guys.

That and winning 8 or 9 games/year. Winning helps everything. 4-8 seasons do very little.

I don't know. Those of you who think you know, please share.
I honestly don't think we need alot of 4 and 5 star kids to compete. We now are getting our facilities up to par with our competition. What we need to do is bring in solid kids who will buy into biding their time and willing to work hard to develop and play when it is their time. Our identity should be smash mouth football that other teams know and hate to play against because they are going to be beat down for the day.

We got devastated with attrition for a variety of reasons and now appear back to full cupboard. We cannot afford to lose a bunch of kids because they need to be coached up. I fault KF for this because it appears he let some coaches stay around that should have been showed the door much sooner and they hurt the program. Everything about the program is ultimately his responsibility.

If he gets all the praise when things are going well.Then he gets the blame when things are not. He is paid very very well to coach here. I hope that he can finish out his career here on a better note than Hayden. Both men accomplished alot.

The football recruiting process has expanded to include a ton of different elements. I think this is due to the internet in large part. But in the present day, so much more than high school competition goes into determining a recruit's ranking.

There are combines, camps, film, and I even think the internet in and of itself plays a role. Social media and the recruiting websites like scout and rivals all shape the industry of college football recruiting. It's hard to picture those times when colleges recruited high school players solely upon the resources of going to watch HS games, maybe some film, and newspapers.

The modern recruiting formula results in a high level of exposure. Every college fanbase knows so much about their teams' players before they even play. It's a little weird if you really think about it.

In terms of the rankings and going after the "5* recruit", the five star recruit isn't always a very good player. I don't think the current system necessarily promotes a lot of busts, but it has shifted the emphasis from purely football to a more complex equation. The ranking people place so much emphasis on athleticism and physical development that often we see great athletes ranked highly and never amount to anything because they don't have any football skills or a real position on the field. For example, the pundits often fall in love with guys that don't fit at any position but have sort of a basketball body and athleticism, which doesn't mean they're the next Jimmy Graham.

There are also a ton of guys in HS, with incredible physical development, that don't progress much and never "live up" to their five star rating. And you can't blame anyone for rating a kid 5* when the recruit looks like an NFL running back as a senior in HS.

This plays into the hands of teams like Iowa. If you can't get the highest rated recruits, you should recruit:
really good football players that are well coached and have specific football skills, players that have huge potential and room for physical development, and guys from small towns that slipped under the radar.

IMO, these are three things that Iowa has done pretty well. The star system is an invention and college football existed for a long time without it.

I have to laugh at people who think Doyle can make someone so slow that he's late for dinner into an elite track athlete! Doyle needs some players with elite talent along with the others to see his efforts turn fruitful

Latest posts