How to recruit 4 and 5 star athletes at Iowa

Recruiting is about finding the talent that fits your system and then selling those recruits. Or you can pay cash. I have seen it discussed that a 5*, top 50 talent could cost as much as 250K. It was discussed by posters of the team that landed that recruit right before signing day. I have no reason to doubt what was being posted. Just as I am sure that not all 5* recruits shop themselves.

Last edited:
Cash??? Just how much 'dough' does some high school recruit receive if he comes to a team that shows off his skills, and is drafted high to the NFL?

It's actually pretty simple. Unless you're a school that has a "name brand" attached to it you have to over achieve with the players you are getting and win. Not just for one year but show these kids that your school consistently wins. These top recruits at the end of the day want to play for a winning program. Then you need likable coaches who go out and sell the program and connect with these kids and their parents.

How'd that class turn out...
#8 Scout/#11 Rivals class in 2005. 12 of 23 players didn't make it to Senior day. 10 of 23 didn't play any meaningful snaps at Iowa. Iowa got this class based in 3 #8 finishes in a row. It was incredibly disappointing. It takes winning to bring in a high rated class. Only winning can overcome lack of talent in Iowa and others obstacles, but they've done it before so it can happen again. I want Iowa to win just as much as others do but not at the expense of a clean program.

What are other programs doing to gain the upper hand in recruiting?

* Big 10 has 5 programs with a full time staff member that focuses only on the recruiting element.....OSU, MN, PU, WI, and PSU. Iowa currently has Eric Johnson filling that role to some degree but with add'l responsibilities with the DL. A year ago Ferentz said he would consider a FT position but not for probably at least 2 years.

* When Gary Anderson came aboard at WI he recognized the importance of recruiting by keeping some staff for regional connections but bringing in some of his old staff that had connections across the country. While in Utah he build his core around Utah players but was able to bring in others from CA, FL, TX, HI, and AZ. He also came to WI with an attitude that we should be able to recruit nationally. Anderson has also began to recruit the JC channels which WI has historically treaded lightly.

* Earlier this year MSU made an interesting addition to bolster their efforts with recruiting......The State News :: Football hires Curtis Blackwell to new recruiting and mentorship position .

* Some programs have been using video conferencing as an additional means to contact and communicate with prospects & commitments. They instruct them to go to a nearby library in some instances that provide the means for this.

.........just a few thoughts.
_______________________________________________________________________________________

Doing a better job recruiting isn't about just getting a better share of the elite it's also about getting more of the targeted 3 star candidates that we pursue with offers, visits, and our time that end up elsewhere .

In the real world, you get them cushy "jobs" where they sweep out a warehouse for an hour and get slipped $200 as well as get a leased car. That's for the 4 star guys. If you want top level recruits you pay them (and parents) thousands in cash. That is reality and I for one, would rather get 3 star guys and the odd high integrity 4 star guy and be a clean program.

In my opinion this is the main reason why we see cycles at Iowa. The recruiting apparatus can't sustain funding continuous top recruiting.

2c cents

In the real world, you get them cushy "jobs" where they sweep out a warehouse for an hour and get slipped $200 as well as get a leased car. That's for the 4 star guys. If you want top level recruits you pay them (and parents) thousands in cash. That is reality and I for one, would rather get 3 star guys and the odd high integrity 4 star guy and be a clean program.

yep, the $EC strategy. you forgot one thing, you don't have to go to class if you don't wanna.

What are other programs doing to gain the upper hand in recruiting?

* Big 10 has 5 programs with a full time staff member that focuses only on the recruiting element.....OSU, MN, PU, WI, and PSU. Iowa currently has Eric Johnson filling that role to some degree but with add'l responsibilities with the DL. A year ago Ferentz said he would consider a FT position but not for probably at least 2 years..

I hear a rumor that KF is looking at candidates and has a front runner:)

shera+bechard.jpg

Last edited:
on a somewhat related note. The All-American teams have been announced. I check two of them. No hawks in the 2 deeps.

To nail down top recruits at Iowa, you gotta commit to them early, call them every week for at least 40 minutes, fit the type of school they like, and make sure to talk about Iowa's strengths and compare them to competing program's weaknesses. That's what I did in NCAA '14, and I have had the top recruiting class for the last 10 years. It's really helped as I won the national championship last year by 50 points over Bama.

Our facilities are very nice, and out head coach is a product of bill belicheck. With connections to the nfl and a system that is Taylor made for the nfl, we can get your ready.

For QB - we have a traditionally exceptional line to protect you
for RB - we have a traditionally exceptional line to get you yards
for a WR - we want to open up our play calling to be more competitive in today's game

this game isn't hard
And don't forget to tell them UI plays one of the easy schedules in all of college football and starting next year I believe it's rated the weakest schedule of all Div 1 teams. Playing cupcakes can mask a lot of issues.

As the experts here will tell you, Iowa has many advantages in the recruiting game that make it SO EASY to win championships:

- Low population means the rare in-state talent is easier to spot.

- Free college education! Iowa offers college scholarships to it's players. What other university does this? Few, if any, I will assume without looking.

- Iowa City is a nice college town. In fact, most Iowans are convinced it's the only nice college town in the USA with an actual college in it.

- #1 party school, dudez!!11! Of course, if you get caught partying you will be the #1 story in the state for at least a week, all but forcing the coaching staff to be more heavy handed when dealing out punishment. But hey, who DOESN'T want to be famous?

- Our facilities are very nice, which means they are equal or slightly inferior to those belonging to programs that regularly land 4&5 star talent.

- Tigerhawk!

- The fans! It's a little known fact no other college football team has fans. The stadiums at other universities are mostly empty except for the crickets and hobos.

- Location! Location! Location! Iowa City is conveniently located far, far from the glitz, glamour, and media exposure seen in large cities. This means fewer distractions so you can study hard, which is what you 5-star guys are really here to do.

- Deep, historical tradition of being able to consistently recruit nationally elite talent like when Evy kept Alex Karras in a small town motel to hide him from his hometown Buckeye recruiters during the signing period back in the 1950s.

To land high recruits you should cheat. Pay them. But keep it a secret. And supply them with girls too. These girls must also be paid. Also hire tutors to do the work for the players. All of this money will be provided by wealthy donors who are given special treatment. PED's also help for when they get to Iowa. All of these are illegal, but when you get caught just say, "Whoops, I didn't know it was not allowed."

Latest posts