How to recruit 4 and 5 star athletes at Iowa

Our facilities are very nice, and out head coach is a product of bill belicheck. With connections to the nfl and a system that is Taylor made for the nfl, we can get your ready.

For QB - we have a traditionally exceptional line to protect you
for RB - we have a traditionally exceptional line to get you yards
for a WR - we want to open up our play calling to be more competitive in today's game

this game isn't hard

In the real world, you get them cushy "jobs" where they sweep out a warehouse for an hour and get slipped $200 as well as get a leased car. That's for the 4 star guys. If you want top level recruits you pay them (and parents) thousands in cash. That is reality and I for one, would rather get 3 star guys and the odd high integrity 4 star guy and be a clean program.

consistently? from out of state? then you're getting into shady territory. Iowa's only chance to succeed in recruiting is finding and developing under the radar talent.

we'll see if the new staff can recruit. they seem to all be an upgrade. that might mean the difference in getting a few more 4* guys.

When people post comments on concerns about recruiting, people like to jump at the examples of success of some of Iowa's 2 and 3 star recruits. With a 4 and 5 star recruit, there is a greater chance of a successful player.

We hear the same excuses about why Iowa City can't get more talent: cold weather, city not big enough, too pasty of a population, etc. A football player on an full-ride doesn't have much free time outside of football and academics to do much else. Iowa City is a great college town with great fans.

IMO, the glaring weakness of Kirk is that he's a very poor, public salesman of the program.
The majority of being a college coach is recruiting.

I like Jim Delaney's push for academic consistency (and academic integrity) across the major conferences.
We see those successes at Northwestern, Stanford, Vanderbilt, and now, Duke.
I wish that the NCAA had a rule that when a school recruits and signs a high school athlete on scholarship, that that scholarship is for 4-years, whether they don't graduate, quit school or enter the NFL draft, early.
Schools, like Alabama, would no longer be able to over-sign, and coaching would actually be more important than recruiting.
It's make no sense that a successful coach is more based on his recruiting abilities than his coaching abilities.

Remember, George Raveling was able to recruit, and I don't recall anything close to NCAA violations.

As I've posted numerous times, for Iowa to have success recruiting 'high star' high school players, Iowa needs to use the athleticism of these athletes. If a 4 star WR recruit, for example, is regularly taught how to block downfield, and hasn't regularly been given the opportunity to run fly patterns that show his speed and pass catching ability, he won't come to Iowa. <P> Ferentz seems to have an aversion to wide open offenses. Maybe 'cause wide open offenses don't run off more clock. Maybe 'cause wide open offenses are too risky to be in Ferentz's game plan. However, wide open offenses give the offense more of a chance to score points with little time on the clock and/or the game on the line. <P> The location of Iowa, having no tourist attractions, and it being cold for stretches, doesn't effect recruiting. KF's 'unsexy' offense (and defense) effects recruiting.

1. Bring back George Raveling. I seem to remember him landing some pretty good talent from IL and MI. Oh wait, this is football.
2. Cheat.
3. Concern yourself less with character and more with ability. In other words, take chances on some guys who may have a little baggage.

But seriously, I thought KF landed a Top 10 recruiting class back in 2005. I think it's possible to get some decent talent to come to Iowa. Not like we have had a dog crap program over the years. We are not Alabama, but we are not Indiana football, either.

How long ago was 2005? And 2005 was an aberration.

2013 - 2005 = 8 years ago. But it still happened, didn't it?

It also followed the 2002-04 stretch where Iowa finished Top 10 in the country every year. As meatman just said, winning helps a lot. Even at Iowa.

How'd that class turn out...

Actually I thought some players from that class (those who were left) where key players on those 2008/09 teams that ended up playing so well.

Or are you one of those that think that just because the ONE highly rated class KF brought in didn't pan out that well, means it's bad to recruit highly rated recruits? I don't buy that.

Iowa has had plenty of 4 star players. I think they average more than 1 a year. It really comes down to how much talent are in the surrounding states for a given class, especially Illinois and Iowa.

I opened this thread expecting to see some laffy pic of a big pile of monies.
I as thoroughly disappointed.

You must be happy for this season. You must be satisfied with this season. You're the troll. I mean, hey, it can't get any better than this: Iowa is 4th in the B1G in a season when lots of traditional teams in the B1G are down... You'll probably use this season to explain and accept next season's team. Sounds like you're a KF lover and not an Iowa lover. Troll.

Last edited:

Latest posts