How much will you give Iowa football if you win Mega Millions?

just got done figuring out how much i will have. 462 million before taxes, 25% federal taxes, 5% state taxes
leaves 329 million, and pocket change . with a 25 mil donation to the children hospital , thats a lot of chump change to play with.

just got done figuring out how much i will have. 462 million before taxes, 25% federal taxes, 5% state taxes
leaves 329 million, and pocket change . with a 25 mil donation to the children hospital , thats a lot of chump change to play with.

herby - I think your tax rates are a little low. Federal is gonna be 35% on it and state will depend on where you live. If you are in Iowa, the rate is about 9%.

they had it on CNBC during the stock reports as they were having fun speculating on what companies you could buy, they stated that the federal tax rate for the jackpot was 25%, as to Iowa's tax rate i have no clue, but i am sure it is not 9%, but either way with that kind of money who's going to quibble over 4%
another interesting thing they discussed was the benefit of taking the cash and run vs the payout, the big thing that stands out take the lump sum and get the taxes out of the way.
if you take the payments you run the risk of paying higher taxes down the road if the Government increases them.
even with a total of 44% taxes it woud still leave 304.9 million vs 324 million.

I didn't buy any tix (sans the 5 my wife bought), since the lotto has already been won out of the Fort already. Odds are not in my favor...real odds be dammed, lightning will not strike twice in Fort Fun. It never really helped the town out last time (except our abandoned pets do have a better temp home), so if I won, I would give all residents of FD $5000 each and spruce up the roads around town. Why not?

I would further give this same amount to everyone who posts on HN (well at least a grand each), whether I agree with them in their posts or not. I would set up an annual tailgate at Kinnick to beat all tailgates. I'm sure I would set something up with my alma maters (including UofI) and many charitable orgs.

It would be fun spreading the wealth and making so many people smile. I would seriously do these things, unfortunately, you have to play to win.

I would need to win first, but assuming I don't split with anyone, I think I would prolly give $10 million. Maybe $25 million, but would need to determine tax impact first. In return, I would demand we bring back O'Keefe.

**Crosses fingers**

funny I thought about this very question lately. Now that they have huge $$$$ TV money, I don't think I'd give the U a dime.

1668458212544.png

funny I thought about this very question lately. Now that they have huge $$$$ TV money, I don't think I'd give the U a dime.

View attachment 9497

I'd toy with them. "Well, see here, I have this gigantic amount of money and I'm drafting a trust, should I include the U of Iowa as a beneficiary???"

My philanthropic endeavor if I won such a sum would be to open up several new colleges in Illinois. They would be named after my favorite towns in Illinois: Harvard, Yale, Stanford, Georgetown and of course Princeton. All online, all free.

I'd toy with them. "Well, see here, I have this gigantic amount of money and I'm drafting a trust, should I include the U of Iowa as a beneficiary???"

My philanthropic endeavor if I won such a sum would be to open up several new colleges in Illinois. They would be named after my favorite towns in Illinois: Harvard, Yale, Stanford, Georgetown and of course Princeton. All online, all free.
Assume any initial monetary gift would require the immediate insertion of KOK as offensive coordinator? And if Iowa was open to that, you'd also be willing to endow the coordinator position in his name? Thus he'd be referred to as Iowa's Ken' O'Keefe family offensive coordinator Ken O'Keefe. And obviously you'd insist on all Iowa athletic department press releases and web site mentions referencing his full, official title when referring to him.

Assume any initial monetary gift would require the immediate insertion of KOK as offensive coordinator? And if Iowa was open to that, you'd also be willing to endow the coordinator position in his name? Thus he'd be referred to as Iowa's Ken' O'Keefe family offensive coordinator Ken O'Keefe. And obviously you'd insist on all Iowa athletic department press releases and web site mentions referencing his full, official title when referring to him.

I would love to, but even if I had a billion dollars I would be hard pressed to give the U that much money. But man, forcing the attachment of O'Keefe's name to all future offensive coordinators sure would be a helluva way to spend some funds.

Latest posts