How much will it take to sign Pujols and who signs him?

busabus114

Now that 17 minutes have passed since game 7 ended its time to speculate on where Pujols ends up and how much money he signs for.

My gut says the Cards find a way to keep him. My guess is 8 years, 200 mil

I just dont see who else really has the money to offer him a 10 year deal for more money. The Yanks dont need a 1b, same for Red Sox plus they have a lot of bad contracts. Maybe the Angles or Mets?

My guess is he takes a very slight discount to stay in STL but who knows

Cards will make him highest paid player in baseball, but more importantly, will give him a percentage ownership of the team. He'll be in a Cardinals uniform in one form or another the rest of his life.

While I am still enjoying the win, I agree that he will probably end up in St. Louis. If anybody gives him 10 years, it won't be the Cards and I agree with that.

I also think he ends up signing with the Cards. Probably 8 years, close to what A-rod got.

Cards will make him highest paid player in baseball, but more importantly, will give him a percentage ownership of the team. He'll be in a Cardinals uniform in one form or another the rest of his life.

ARod makes $32 mil per season - do you really think the Cards can spend that? Add in the fact Pujols wants a 10 year deal. Lets say they settle on 8 years....that would be $264 million at a minimum if they wanted to make him the highest paid player in baseball.

I dont see that or them needing to spend that to keep him

But like I said, who knows - Im very interested to see how it plays out

The problem he has is that there is another 1st baseman (Prince Fielder) who is likely to produce at an equal or greater level going forward. Taking that and the fact that most of the high dollar teams like who they have at first base, into consideration, and I could see him getting less than what he wants. I am betting that he gives St. Louis a hometown discount and takes 6 years, $120M.

The problem he has is that there is another 1st baseman (Prince Fielder) who is likely to produce at an equal or greater level going forward. Taking that and the fact that most of the high dollar teams like who they have at first base, into consideration, and I could see him getting less than what he wants. I am betting that he gives St. Louis a hometown discount and takes 6 years, $120M.

No way

If he takes a 6 year deal he will get 30 mil per easy

I will be shocked if he inks a deal for less than 200 mil.

No way

If he takes a 6 year deal he will get 30 mil per easy

I will be shocked if he inks a deal for less than 200 mil.

I guess we just see it differently. I don't think he has enough leverage to create the sort of bidding war that is required to get that kind of money. The only way he can do that is if the Yankees, Red Sox, or Angels value him as a DH, but I just don't see it.

Cards just got paid big time. They know they need Pujols. Pujols knows he needs them. The team is stacked for the coming years. He will stay and they will be good for the next 5 years.

Hey Cub fans (the ones who hate the Cards), you have dealt with losing your whole life, learn to deal with it for another 5 years at a MINIMUM.

I am betting that he gives St. Louis a hometown discount and takes 6 years, $120M.

Who are you 'betting'? Can I get in on that action?

There is no focking way he takes that money. The Cardinals will re-sign him, but it's going to take a lot more money than that.

He turned down the Cardinals offer in the spring which sources say was 8 years in excess of 200 mil. I would guess that it won't be much more than that from the Cardinals.

Will be interesting to see if AP still wants a 10 year contract. Rumor last winter was that years was the sticking point, not money.

I've seen speculation that the Marlins might make an offer, since they are moving into a new stadium and rebranding themselves.

Even if Pujols is actually 32, my goodness 10 years is a awful long time for a franchise to commit to. The Yankees are stuck with A-rod for another 9 years and his numbers are already starting to slide.

Anything over 6 years is crazy...he's 32 years old. If you go over 6 years it should be some sort of club option and possibly front load the contract so you're not getting killed later in the contract when he's getting up there in age. The smart deal would be 6 years 150 million, but he'll probably get 7 or 8 years for 200. I think the Cards could pay that.....or the Cubs. :)

Cards just got paid big time. They know they need Pujols. Pujols knows he needs them. The team is stacked for the coming years. He will stay and they will be good for the next 5 years.

Hey Cub fans (the ones who hate the Cards), you have dealt with losing your whole life, learn to deal with it for another 5 years at a MINIMUM.

We now have you where we want you...over confident. Go Cubs. I can tell by your language that you are concerned about our front office moves. I hear there is another big announcement coming. My guess is that we just hired Steve Bartman as our Fielding Instructor.

He turned down the Cardinals offer in the spring which sources say was 8 years in excess of 200 mil. I would guess that it won't be much more than that from the Cardinals.

That's why I think the OP's guess is way too low. If Pujols wanted a deal for 8 years 200 million, he could have had that already. At the very least he's going to want more per year than Howard (25 ml/yr)

The teams that could be in on Pujols: Texas, Washington, STL, CHC, and most likely a surprise team will emerge at some point.

If I were to guess I'd say the number to sign Pujols will be in the 27-28 million a year range. It's only a matter of who offers him the most years at this point. If it's close, he's staying in STL.

its just not worth it to sign someone that long, for that much money. curt schilling had a great piece on ESPN about how, over the last 10-15 years, no one is worth a 10 year contract. you'll get 4-5 good years, but then stuck paying a ridiculous price for a below average player on the back half.

the good business decision would be to let him go. would suck in the short term, but with how much you can get for that kind of money they'd be better served going out and solidifying the pitching staff.

the cards just don't have to money to make a bad, long-term move like the yanks and phils do. good thing i'm not a cards fan, or this would have me in knots.

I seriously doubt that whether or not the Cubs end up with Pujols is the deciding factor in whether or not the Cubs will stink for the next 5 years.

In fact, I can honestly say I'm really not all that excited about the prospect of the Cubs giving a 32 year old a 6-8+ year deal.

Pujols is a great player, but he was what, 16th in the MLB in OPS this year? Guess the way I see it, the Cubs would be overpaying for yet another player if the give Pujols $30 million a year. I'd rather see the Cubs sign two players for $15 million a year than put all their eggs in one basket.

Besides, given his age, who can say how much longer AP will continue to produce at the same level he has been?

That's why I think the OP's guess is way too low. If Pujols wanted a deal for 8 years 200 million, he could have had that already. At the very least he's going to want more per year than Howard (25 ml/yr)

The teams that could be in on Pujols: Texas, Washington, STL, CHC, and most likely a surprise team will emerge at some point.

If I were to guess I'd say the number to sign Pujols will be in the 27-28 million a year range. It's only a matter of who offers him the most years at this point. If it's close, he's staying in STL.

So you think someone is going to give him 270-280 mil over 10 years?

The reason I dont think he gets much more than 200-210 mil is who is going to give him a deal longer than 8 years? If anything this season showed he was somewhat human, his numbers were awesome but there was some decline by his standards. I wouldnt be shocked by 7 years 200 mil or 8 years 220 but I have a hard time seeing more than that