How many wins will it take to win the Legends Division?

No, i just don't see the point in raising expectations from "We're a 4-6 win team" to "We have a great shot at winning the division".

Iowa has played one team that had a pulse on offense, and that was NIU. When their QB needed to get yards against Iowa, he got them, and he got them going deep. I'd be willing to say that was first game, things have cleaned up.....but we've seen it against MSU and ISU. Big plays are to be had against Iowa's secondary.

Luckily MSU, ISU, WMU, and now MN have had complete and utter failures playing the QB position. I think that has masked Iowa's weaknesses on defense. Maybe it's a good thing we've had such poor QB play early on, so our backfield can have more time to figure things out.

I think Nebraska takes it as they have the best offense in the division. Their D has struggled and they will lose a couple but I think Michigan and Northwestern have more flaws. Iowa can be right in the thick of the race if they continue to play D the way they have and run the ball.
I think the old adage is true. Offense sells tickets, Defense wins championships. They have a very suspect D. What good is a high powered offense if they aren't on the field scoring points? We find out Saturday just how good our O is. We get the W and put more than 21 on MSU then I think we are on our way baby!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but...

Does tiebreakers go:
Overall conference record
Division record
Head to head
Overall record
BCS ranking

Tiebreaker for 2 teams within a division :

1. Head to head - only one needed since teams play all division opponents

Tiebreaker for 3 or more teams:

1. Record of the teams compared to each other
2. Division record
3. Record against the next division team not in the tie (so if 3 teams are tied, their record against 4th place team and so on until tie is broken)
4. Record against common conference teams
5. BCS ranking, at least for this season.

Sorry I'm just not going to start talking big until I see what our defense does against teams that are more efficient than a high school team at passing.
I've been saying it all year (except after the Mo. State game when I overreacted a little,) we are a 6-6 team. If we lose Saturday, we will find a win somewhere else. I just can't see it any other way.

Nobody but lets get serious here. We have won four games, and I would argue all four have come against competition that is sub-par at best. All four had really crappy offenses or at least they were one dimensional on the run. Our one loss came against a team that could run and throw and even ISU started to expose us late in the game. Had they started chucking the ball earlier that game would have been in serious question. MSU is another run first team and Purdue is just god awful so I don't worry about them as much and getting to six wins. But all the other teams we will face are much more balanced or even pass leveraged and when we play them, we will see just how bad our defensive backs are in coverage.

Unless Nebraska makes some major improvements, the Hawkeyes should be able to run the ball all day long and control the clock, keeping them in the game, and giving them a chance to win. They won't win one of the Wisconsin, Northwestern, or Michigan games at home? C'mon now, even in 2011 they beat Michigan at home when they had no business winning that game. They usually steal at least one at home. If they stay healthy and continue to improve, this team is more than capable than winning eight games.

Unless Nebraska makes some major improvements, the Hawkeyes should be able to run the ball all day long and control the clock, keeping them in the game, and giving them a chance to win. They won't win one of the Wisconsin, Northwestern, or Michigan games at home? C'mon now, even in 2011 they beat Michigan at home when they had no business winning that game. They usually steal at least one at home. If they stay healthy and continue to improve, this team is more than capable than winning eight games.
Sometimes we steal one at home, but don't forget, this coaching staff usually loses AT LEAST one game we shouldn't. That's why I feel pretty strongly about 6 wins. I can see 7, but to predict any more than that is getting way ahead of ourselves in my opinion.

Sometimes we steal one at home, but don't forget, this coaching staff usually loses AT LEAST one game we shouldn't. That's why I feel pretty strongly about 6 wins. I can see 7, but to predict any more than that is getting way ahead of ourselves in my opinion.

True but if we want to go that route Iowa already lost the game they should have won.

I'm going to wait until the seasons over before I say whether they can compete for a division title.

I think the OP is aiming a little bit low. Seems to me that the real question is how many wins will it take to win the NC. Right now Iowa is on track to be in the conversation.

No, i just don't see the point in raising expectations from "We're a 4-6 win team" to "We have a great shot at winning the division".

Iowa has played one team that had a pulse on offense, and that was NIU. When their QB needed to get yards against Iowa, he got them, and he got them going deep. I'd be willing to say that was first game, things have cleaned up.....but we've seen it against MSU and ISU. Big plays are to be had against Iowa's secondary.

Luckily MSU, ISU, WMU, and now MN have had complete and utter failures playing the QB position. I think that has masked Iowa's weaknesses on defense. Maybe it's a good thing we've had such poor QB play early on, so our backfield can have more time to figure things out.

Didn't Iowa hold MizzSt to under 200 total yards? I don't think they were "getting the big plays to be had" vs Iowa.

I think the OP is aiming a little bit low. Seems to me that the real question is how many wins will it take to win the NC. Right now Iowa is on track to be in the conversation.
Unfortunately, NIU has the edge on us. Hopefully they drop one in MAC play to open up a spot in the BCS for us.

Who said we have a great shot at winning the division!? No one has said that! I created the entire thread and I never once said that in my original post. I simply cited the fact that Chuck Long thinks the Hawks have a realistic chance to go 8-4.

People are simply saying that given the way Iowa has started the season, and the way the B10 conference looks down this year there is a chance Iowa could surprise some people. Some of you guys are so freakin negative about everything that you don't read things clearly. You just assume everyone is jumping the gun and claiming the Hawks are world beaters when that is so far from the case it's ridiculous.

I think the simple answer to the question is to get at least one more win than everyone else in our division. How this turned into a multiple page thread is beyond me.

I think the simple answer to the question is to get at least one more win than everyone else in our division. How this turned into a multiple page thread is beyond me.
Don't know. The Hawkeyes could be 7-5 and go to Indy. Simply loose all of the non-division games and one game to a division foe w/ two division losses and a worse overall record. The Hawks just need to beat all of the one loss teams in the division. Simple. Any team that wins all of it's division games will go to Inday. Overall record only becomes a factor w/ a tie situation. There are mathematical ways they could go to Indy w/ just 6 wins but that would mean the Legends just blow and I don't think that will happen.

Who ****** in your Cheerios this morning? lol

Nobody but lets get serious here. We have won four games, and I would argue all four have come against competition that is sub-par at best. All four had really crappy offenses or at least they were one dimensional on the run. Our one loss came against a team that could run and throw and even ISU started to expose us late in the game. Had they started chucking the ball earlier that game would have been in serious question. MSU is another run first team and Purdue is just god awful so I don't worry about them as much and getting to six wins. But all the other teams we will face are much more balanced or even pass leveraged and when we play them, we will see just how bad our defensive backs are in coverage.

I BEG your pardon?!! I never pee in Cheerios; only Wheaties. That sounds like something Everyone or You would do.

Why you gotta troll like that hater? Your act is getting old. Iowa's going to win 11, and you can't deal with that.

I say Hawk go on a 25 game win streak. That would be the football and basketball together(Other sports dont matter). So whose the better fan now?

Latest posts