How many of you have worked on a BCS Conference Coaching Staff?

Good point, John should probably shut the site down since he clearly isn't qualified to discuss the team.

Hawkinn3, Don't downplay these guys. Most of these guys sound like they just left the NFL coaching ranks.

It really is sad. I've never coached a down of football in my life, yet I know more about clock management than this entire staff.

We cannot talk about football because we lack BCS coaching experience...probably holds true for basketball and D1 coaching experience...wrestling?

So we have a Hawkeye message board to share recipes? Landscaping ideas?

Wait, I have never taken a culinary arts class, nor am I well versed in landscape architecture.

We need a middle school education thread, just so I can post something!

So people can't voice their opinions of a school that makes a crap ton of money off us fans, coaches that will make more than than most of us can dream of and players that get a free education while I have 30k of student loans? Why can't we be critical? We as employees get evaluated at work. Why can't they be held to the same standard?

I don't think the suggestion is that nobody should be allowed to discuss coaching decisions. I think it's just a friendly reminder that at the end of the day, he's Kirk Ferentz and you're not.

It really is sad. I've never coached a down of football in my life, yet I know more about clock management than this entire staff.

You're right. Last year against Wisconsin was textbook how to manage the clock.

Just because fans have never coached a down of BCS football does not mean that those same fans can't scratch their heads and question what a coach does.

Or are some of you like robots and just accept whatever you are told and never question anything? That might work with religion but not sports.

Well I just started my coaching job as an offensive coordinator at Arizona State. I'm still trying to work my way up to head coach, but I feel like if I keep making the right play calls and winning games that I should eventually get a head coaching job somewhere... The plan is to end up at Iowa. There are a few teams that have some interest in me and their current head coach has terrible job security. It is only a matter of time.

I think a better question is how many have ever coached anything? Ok then, lets take it a step further, how many have coached any one child (your own or others) to be the best, best in class, best on a team, anything?
I have had some sucess stories on the field and off, ( I could brag, but I wont), and I have been asked to coach kids before, several times, (volunteer). Point is I KNOW how much time it took me to get my son and a few others to be able to crack homeruns more often than not and also play to a high level in the field as well, now I would need to be able to put in what atleast 12 times the amount of time, to get all the kids on a baseball team to that level (for free mind you). Thats alot of dedication and if you are not going to go all in, you are ripping off the kids.
I know many coaches get paid and coaching is their job, I am just trying to point out anyone that has even ONE sucess story, knows what it takes, and quite frankly, not many people have "it". (KF has 30 or so in the nfl) Thats why I challeged all you in another thread to do something, try it and you will see just how hard it is. Another point should be made I never had fans or parents complaining all the time either and that made it easier yet for me to teach/coach kids. Ofcourse one of them was my own son, but I think the other kids parents didnt even care where they were at, so they were happy to let me teach them the game. Although it did pizz me off when their kids did so well and yet the parents would not even show up to a game. But thats another story.
Edit I didnt mean for it to sound like any kid I ever taught went pro or anything, but all the coaches from every team they played, commented on just how good they were. So I think of those as a sucess stories.

Last edited:
Is this another "you haven't coached before, so you can't question the coach" thread? Guess we better not have any threads criticizing Obama either, since none of us have evern been a member of Congress.

Is this another "you haven't coached before, so you can't question the coach" thread? Guess we better not have any threads criticizing Obama either, since none of us have evern been a member of Congress.

Just buy NCAA 12 and coach a BCS team. That is the only reason I am able to post on these boards. I had to do it to be allowed on here.

Just because fans have never coached a down of BCS football does not mean that those same fans can't scratch their heads and question what a coach does. Or are some of you like robots and just accept whatever you are told and never question anything? That might work with religion but not sports.

You don't trust a lot of people do you?

To the OP, have you ever critized your boss or the boss' boss?

Don't think you should, never been there, never done that.

Latest posts