How many of you are 'spent' this season?

Maybe should start putting more of your energy into your own life and stop getting so emotionally invested in a bunch of 18-22 year old boys.

Last I checked 18 is a man, not sure what you're implying by saying that. Also, if you don't care whats the point? We are all on a message board, we all care more than most.

I'm not spent. We're gonna be dancing for the first time in 8 years. That first tournament game is going to be so fun.

I haven't put forth this much emotional equity in a Hawk sports team since the 2010 FB team.

Is the pleasure worth the pain?

Absolutely, and twice on Sunday.

Sure beats the hell out of hoping some other crappy Big Ten team loses so we can fight our way to the 9th seed.

I'm not spent. We're gonna be dancing for the first time in 8 years. That first tournament game is going to be so fun.

This is the correct answer. I could see why a Gopher fan might be spent at this time, but I'm not even close. I'm kind of dreading the moment when the season ends.

Sports is all about "the Thrill of victory and the agony of defeat".

You must risk one to enjoy the other.

And to DVR the game to avoid the agony robs you of lifes most euphoric moments...

Damn that agony of defeat lately.....

Originally Posted by kctom
Sports is all about "the Thrill of victory and the agony of defeat".
You must risk one to enjoy the other.
And to DVR the game to avoid the agony robs you of lifes most euphoric moments...

"Damn that agony of defeat lately....."

I keep hearing Jim McCay's iconic voice saying this phrase,
But keep seeing beloved Zack McCabe as the epic ski jumping crasher,
While dressed in his gold Iowa Hawkeyes BB uniform....

The horror...

My son, who is 9, has no clue how good Iowa hoops use to be. I enjoy watching games with him and telling him about the glory days of the late 80s and early 90s. Of course, then I have to discuss the demise of the program from the previous decade. Anyway, my point is I watch all the games I have access to (basketball and football).

Football always was tough because I would say, "We had a week to prepare." Basketball has felt the same way with the bye weeks and the unexpected collapse of Assembly Hall. So, I am emotionally invested and I love it. The losses are disappointing, but the progress the program has made has been phenomenal. I find myself yelling at the tv again, and family members yelling at me that "they can't hear me."

My son, who is 9, has no clue how good Iowa hoops use to be. I enjoy watching games with him and telling him about the glory days of the late 80s and early 90s. Of course, then I have to discuss the demise of the program from the previous decade. Anyway, my point is I watch all the games I have access to (basketball and football).

Football always was tough because I would say, "We had a week to prepare." Basketball has felt the same way with the bye weeks and the unexpected collapse of Assembly Hall. So, I am emotionally invested and I love it. The losses are disappointing, but the progress the program has made has been phenomenal. I find myself yelling at the tv again, and family members yelling at me that "they can't hear me."

Go back further. Mid 50s. Early 70s. Late 70s. Mid 80s.

Iowa has pedigree.

I am totally hyped during games and I do invest a lot of 'fan capital' you might say. I take losses hard, but I get over it within a few hours, because I always look forward to the next game.

I love the close games, and they are sure fun when Iowa wins. But I also love to watch the Hawkeyes blow out a team. Not as intense and tense, but still fun to watch.

It takes me a couple of hours to come down after an Iowa loss. I then start thinking about the next game. By the following day I'm anxious to see Iowa play again...can't wait. Looking at the week ahead I see a lot of basketball and 3 wins, a little break before a hard fought game at Michigan State (loss expected) and a victory over Illinois for Senior Night.

It's on to the BTT where I like our chances to win the whole thing. Finally, we get to play in the NCAA Tourney for the 1st time in quite awhile. Let's play some ball.

Not a chance! The excitement of being relevant again is awesome. This coming week couldn't get much better with 3 games in the next 7 days!

Go Hawks!

This is why I record Iowa games (unless I am there in person) and only watch if they win. Less stressful that way.

I'm feeling this same way these days. I think I'm going to try it this week. Yeah, I guess if they win, I lose some of the thrill that comes in the heat of the moment, but if I watch live, I find myself either clutching and hoping they don't blow the game out of sheer paranoia, or ticked off because they did blow it. Might save myself some grief that way.

Gonna have to watch the NCAA Tournament live, though. No way am I missing that. Ditto for the BTT. Tournament games are too exciting to watch the next day.

Feeling a little spent for sure, though. After all the close losses the last two years, I've had enough of feeling like I've been kicked in the crotch.

You're kidding...........you seriously do that?

Yes, I seriously record Iowa games and watch them if they win. I do however watch any tournment games live.

There are many reasons why I do this. Sure, I miss the euphoria of a victory (somewhat), but also avoid the utter despair of losses like Wisconsin, Michigan State, etc. I tend to get emotinal during games, and it upsets my wife. During weeknight games, win or lose...I get so ramped up I have trouble sleeping.

Plus...the last several years...EVERY TIME I watched a game on TV live, the Hawks lost.

Not me Im toatly pumped about this team
Maybe yall can relate....
Gameday, getting amped up to watch Hawk basketball, team in still contention to do some damage. Big game arrives, Hawks flush it down the stool at the end, utter disappointment.

Its happened so many times this year, that I am 'spent'. Its killing me to get amped up every game only to come crashing down. Makes a guy want to just 'check out' emotionally the rest of the season, aka still watch and cheer them on, but not expect huge things.
Hate to say that, really do....

Hopefully our fans that attend games don't start to 'check out' as well.

The losses are painful, I agree. But, I still watch them a second time. And I enjoy watching the losses a second time so I can concentrate on what the hell happened out there? We are better usually in the second watch.

I enjoy the football and bb Hawkeye seasons so much overall, that I dread the dead time from April to Sept., cept for summer.

We need to gear back up for Minny. If the fans cannot bring the energy, how wlll the players?

Not spent - very excited! This is the best time of year for Hoopyball fans. We are on the cusp of the B1G tournament, then the Big Dance. Forget the record. Enjoy each game, each half, each play. You never know when you might watch your last Hawk game. Cheer on the team. Dont forget 4 years ago we would have killed to be relevent in mens bb again.

Latest posts