How long do you give a coach??

longtimer

Of course this year isnt over and we may find the answers but we may not. Clearly we have some deficiencies in the guard court and overall we are not an athletic team. That being said Northern Iowa had some fine years and won some tournament games with teams that also lacked athletic players. So Fran is in his 8th year and has won 1 tournament game. If we dont find answers and have a 9th place kind of year in the Big Ten does that put McCaffrey on the hot seat in his 9th year?
Not saying that i have given up on this team but I sure didnt see this coming!

and while Iowa has some depth issues in the backcourt, interior D and over all Team d has been the most glaring issue in this 2 game skid imo.

Fran’s seat will be at least warm with no dance this season.

and while Iowa has some depth issues in the backcourt, interior D and over all Team d has been the most glaring issue in this 2 game skid imo.

Fran’s seat will be at least warm with no dance this season.
I think his seat will be warm. If we miss the tourney again next year, I think the seat might be too hot to withstand.

The hard part is If his sons are really good, can you really fire him? I'm willing to say if we don't make the tourney next year, it's definitely a Fran problem.

After listening to the last 2 games someone has said it Team D and 1:1 D is terrible. The coaching staff has either recruited players with serious deficiencies in their ability or Want To regarding defense or they are just really terribly poor teachers. I listened to Fran's post game comments and he admitted that the team is NOT connected on D and really hasn't scored much on set plays. We've seen this same old story since he's been there. It's coaching Fran...mano y Mano or as a team but when your kids don't know we are in a press shortly after a made bucket while you are screaming at them something is terribly wrong. Maybe they just tune him out after a period of time. Whatever the case we've seen the high-water mark with McCaffrey at the helm IMO.

Yes 2! His team have been absolute NO SHOWS in the Big Ten Tourney. It's one thing to lose it's another to look terrible and get embarrassed by teams in the conf. tourney see record against Michigan schools.

Like I said in another thread, in 2 years bohannon, cook and moss are all seniors...nunge and Garza are juniors...wieskamp is a sophomore...Patrick is a freshman. If they don't do anything that year Fran would probably have to go.

Yes, Davidson and Temple. There are NIT wins of course but NCAA wins are the gold standard.

Fran has been awful in the Big Ten Tournament.

I remember years ago, all of us bagging on Alford because he had just 3 NCAA appearances in 8 years. If Fran doesn't find a way to get the team to pull together this year, he will have the same track record as Alford. 3 in 8. Alford was 1-3 in three trips. Fran is 2-3. Granted, this season has a long ways to go, but it's not looking too good so far with regard to making it a 4th trip.

Look, I like Fran and he did a nice job of putting out Lickliter's dumpster fire, but overall, I'm not jumping up and down about the results. He hasn't done anything that Mr. Davis, Raveling and Lute didn't do on nearly a yearly basis. I'm not calling for his head yet because I try to keep in mind how poor of shape the program was in, and we've been to the dance 3 of the past 4 years, but miss the NCAA's this year and next, and my tune will change. That will be almost a decade as our coach, which is enough time. But cart before horse - We'll see how it plays out.

Yes, Davidson and Temple. There are NIT wins of course but NCAA wins are the gold standard.

Fran has been awful in the Big Ten Tournament.

I remember years ago, all of us bagging on Alford because he had just 3 NCAA appearances in 8 years. If Fran doesn't find a way to get the team to pull together this year, he will have the same track record as Alford. 3 in 8. Alford was 1-3 in three trips. Fran is 2-3. Granted, this season has a long ways to go, but it's not looking too good so far with regard to making it a 4th trip.

Look, I like Fran and he did a nice job of putting out Lickliter's dumpster fire, but overall, I'm not jumping up and down about the results. He hasn't done anything that Mr. Davis, Raveling and Lute didn't do on nearly a yearly basis. I'm not calling for his head yet because I try to keep in mind how poor of shape the program was in, and we've been to the dance 3 of the past 4 years, but miss the NCAA's this year and next, and my tune will change. That will be almost a decade as our coach, which is enough time. But cart before horse - We'll see how it plays out.

Agree - I am a HUGE Fran supporter, but if we miss the dance this season my feelings are gonna change quickly. I won't call for his head, but it will be next season better be a dance and a couple of wins kind of mind set.

Agree - I am a HUGE Fran supporter, but if we miss the dance this season my feelings are gonna change quickly. I won't call for his head, but it will be next season better be a dance and a couple of wins kind of mind set.

Agreed. I expected to miss the dance last year, but missing this year will be a disappointment. Missing next year, would be a major, major disappointment. If it's 3 straight NIT's or worse heading into year 10, then yeah, I'll be pulling my support card.

Of course, this year and next may end up turning out just fine and we'll all be happy. So I'm not a huge fan of this kind of talk right NOW when I'm basically thinking "let's see where we are in 2019". But, I'm starting to wonder a bit.

Latest posts