How how how can u justify not firing Greg Davis?

You're right. He has been given his three years to bring in his own recruits. And these kids that played today, that he was responsible for recruiting, aren't cutting it. They aren't cutting it because of play calling, and lack of execution has nothing to do with it. And he is also responsible for the injuries on the O Line, as well as poor defensive play.

Golfer, I usually appreciate your posts, but this post is just flat out moronic. I don't mean any offense by that either, but your post is just wrong.

I think the above is correct. Top to bottom we just don't have the horses this year and I'm OK with that considering the young talent we have on the roster.

We couldn't run the ball, protect the qb, catch the ball, get separation, escape pressure, tackle well on defense, pressure the qb with our front four, or convert more than one 3rd and 1 in four chances, but all these issues would be instantly fixed if we would just fire Greg Davis.

Gee Duff, with your amazing football mind, why couldn't our receivers get separation, and why was there so much pressure on the QB? It's because of terrible play calling. Can you remind me who the genius was that had CJF run a 1 yard route on 4th and 3? That was just brilliant.

If you think our offense will be better next year if Davis is still at the helm you're ******* delusional.

I think a college OC should be more than a brain in a jar, more than a guy with a scheme who does chalk talks. The guy needs to also be a coach and motivator, a guy who can be measured by the improvemement of the players. I don't know enough about football to know if his schemes are good, better, best. But I can see that this offense does not produce and there are, on any given play, probably a 1/2 dozen things that go wrong - 10 weeks into the season. That, ladies and gentlemen, is on the coach.

I think the above is correct. Top to bottom we just don't have the horses this year and I'm OK with that considering the young talent we have on the roster.

Top to bottom we absolutely have the talent to beat teams like Central Michigan, Iowa State, Northwestern, Indiana, and Purdue. Not only that, but we have the talent to gain more than 200 total yards against those teams. Our offense went from respectable last season to flat out terrible this season. That's on Davis.

Vandy didn't call a play that had a receiver running a 1 yard route on 4th and 3. NO receiver should be running short of the first down on that play. That's just incompetence.

I didn't have a problem with the playcalling today in fact the 4th quarter calls were solid. Our players don't execute it's just a bad team. I want to see if Davis can tap into Texas recruiting and develop his players.

Lol, I'm sure players really want to come play for Davis after our inspiring performance this season. This team will not make a bowl game with Ferentz and Davis coaching. One of them has to go. I GUARANTEE we will not make a bowl game next season if both of them are back. Obviously, Ferentz will be back so that leaves Davis. If Ferentz retains his services then KF really is digging his own grave.

For all those b!tching and moaning for years to fire KOK, this is what you get. For some reason fans think if you fire someone that you will automatically improve.....

Gee Duff, you ******* *******, why couldn't our receivers get separation, and why was there so much pressure on the QB? It's because of terrible play calling. Can you remind me who the genius was that had CJF run a 1 yard route on 4th and 3? That was just brilliant.

If you think our offense will be better next year if Davis is still at the helm you're ******* delusional.

It was Derby and who decided to throw it to him? Vandy has a lot of control of what play called and total control on where it goes. He is just not good. GD may not b good, but Vandy has a lot to do with the on the field results.

It was Derby and who decided to throw it to him? Vandy has a lot of control of what play called and total control on where it goes. He is just not good. GD may not b good, but Vandy has a lot to do with the on the field results.

My point was that route shouldn't even be on the board in that situation.

My point was that route shouldn't even be on the board in that situation.

I understand, but Vandy even said post game that option is not technically the primary on that play call. He interpreted it to be and looked no where else. What I am saying is Vandy has made this same decision before today and before this year in similar situations. I put it more on our 5th yr Qb to make a play.

He had more time on that play than most of the others, but not much more time. Three sacks was the total. I'm surprised it was only three sacks. They were in his face all day long. It was always going to be tough sledding this season, the injuries on the O Line ended any chance we had. Once again, the chance wasn't great to start with. Every team has injuries, but two on the O Line. Two key injuries on the O line. It is what it is.

Quite a few younger guys have been getting playing time, notwithstanding claims to the contrary. It's really all about next year's QB at this point. And we won't know that until next year.

For all those b!tching and moaning for years to fire KOK, this is what you get. For some reason fans think if you fire someone that you will automatically improve.....

Agreed. I've thought for most of the season that GD's offense is run with 4-5* recruits that can make the first guy miss/breakaway. We don't have that talent level all around, and therefore it isn't working like its supposed to.
My knock on him is that he hasn't adjusted his schemes to match the players' skill sets.
I do, however, feel that if you fire him and bring in a new OC, you will set this offense/team back even more next year.

I still support Ferentz, but I am fully on board with getting rid of Davis. He hasn't adjusted his schemes, and JVB has suffered horribly because of it. Now, JVB's decision making/accuracy has also gotten much worse which can't really be placed on Davis, but he's not being helped out by the play calling. At the end of the day we don't have Texas talent so things need to be adjusted, and they haven't been whatsoever. That's where my main frustration lies. I can stomach losing a lot more if it looks like we're trying to change the things that don't work. The 1 yard route on 4th and 3 at the end of the game firmly put me in the "no more Davis" crowd.

We couldn't run the ball, protect the qb, catch the ball, get separation, escape pressure, tackle well on defense, pressure the qb with our front four, or convert more than one 3rd and 1 in four chances, but all these issues would be instantly fixed if we would just fire Greg Davis.

Some of the others wouldn't get fixed, but this one might.

Seriously, how many times does failing miserably with the power running game on third and short take before you figure maybe you should try something else? Something besides a 1-yard out on a 3-yard pivotal down.

I've come to believe that GD isn't very inspirational. He's a kindly old man who does not motivate. Lots of schemes work. Hell look at BC tonight moving the ball against ND. They can at least execute. BC is 2 - 7 this season and they look 10X better than Iowa on offense. They don't have superior talent to iowa. They are however coached up.

Somebody needs to notice this.

Agreed. I've thought for most of the season that GD's offense is run with 4-5* recruits that can make the first guy miss/breakaway. We don't have that talent level all around, and therefore it isn't working like its supposed to.
My knock on him is that he hasn't adjusted his schemes to match the players' skill sets.
I do, however, feel that if you fire him and bring in a new OC, you will set this offense/team back even more next year.

1. While it's true that it can and has worked with Texas' level of talent, is it realistic that Iowa will ever pull in that kind of talent?

2. I don't think it would hurt them all that much if he were let go after the season. Most of the players spent at least one year in KOK's system. If you bring in something similar to that, the transition might be smoother. These players were all recruited to play that style of ball.

1. While it's true that it can and has worked with Texas' level of talent, is it realistic that Iowa will ever pull in that kind of talent?

2. I don't think it would hurt them all that much if he were let go after the season. Most of the players spent at least one year in KOK's system. If you bring in something similar to that, the transition might be smoother. These players were all recruited to play that style of ball.

On point #1... I think GD will bring in talent from Texas. Fry had a pipeline to Texas back in the day, and it has pretty much eroded away. There is a wealth of talent down there, and Davis can build a pipeline again.

On point #2… I think it would hurt a lot more than you credit it to. If you bring in another OC, that will be the third in three years. Regardless of the similarities in schemes, verbiage will be different, plays will be different, and alignment will be different.

He should be fired for the 1 yard pass on 4th and 3 at the end of the game alone. Anyone that disagrees with that is an F'N moron and should never be allowed to watch another football game. Ever.

Last edited:
GD is horrible (ask Texas fans that were trying to get rid of him for 10 years)

but he is only one of many problems - but I don't even want to think about next years offense.

It just doesn't look good boys.

Latest posts