How far north will I get 1040?

KnightHawk9

I'll be driving back from northern MN on Sept 1, and I'm hoping to listen to the game. Starting out north of Brainerd. Think I'll be able to pick it up during the daytime?

I also have the iHeartRadio app on my phone, but I'm guessing that doesn't stream the game, or does it?

Any other options?

I used to pick up 1040 at night in Ely Mn. Daytime however you won't get it nearly that far. I am pretty sure the online version does not carry the games.

I'll be driving back from northern MN on Sept 1, and I'm hoping to listen to the game. Starting out north of Brainerd. Think I'll be able to pick it up during the daytime?

I also have the iHeartRadio app on my phone, but I'm guessing that doesn't stream the game, or does it?

Any other options?

IheartRadio and stream WOC 1420 Davenport

I live 100 miles south of Brainerd and can get 1040, some days pretty clear, others not well. It comes in good in MSP generally

Iheartradio doesn't play the radio when games are on. 1460 even shuts down during Cardinals games

In Minneapolis SW suburbs, WMT AM 600 from Cedar Rapids is better in daytime than WHO 1040. WHO is better at night.

Up until 4 years ago I used to drive back from my Canada fishing trip in September and would start to pick WHO up south of St Paul, I think at Owatona. During daylight.

WOC 1420 absolutely has the telecast

They have been doing this for years. Not sure how they haven't been called to the carpet for this yet, as it's a no-no.

WHO Daytime May:

WHO_AM_LD.gif

Nighttime

WHO_AM_LN.gif

The night signal can be heard really far away...like Carolina's, Wyoming, Colorado, Georgia...but sketch in Illinois.

At night, the signal skips..bounces off the ionosphere and then comes down somewhere else...so think of it going up and up and over Illinois, then somewhere over there it hits the ionosphere and bounces back down landing in the SE.

Also, not sure the carry, but can try 1300 out of Mason City. Or, as I've done before, get a friend or relative to play the radio through their cell phone and put your end on speaker.

When I lived in MN, I'd lose the signal around the border during the days... but after night fall I could sometimes get it as far as Int'l Falls...

When I lived in MN, I'd lose the signal around the border during the days... but after night fall I could sometimes get it as far as Int'l Falls...

In the early 70's WHO had a program called Country Music USA that had the slogan "coast to coast, border to border and then some." It was followed by reruns of the old radio program Lum and Abner. Then it was time to tune in to KAAY from Little Rock and be educated by Beaker Street, hosted by the legendary "Clyde Clifford" which was followed by a broadcast of various old radio programs via Beaker Theater.

I haven't tried in a couple years, but I used to be able to get the signal in Colorado at night..I'd be driving around and all of a sudden I would be able to hear the Iowa bball game and I'd stop the car and pull over and listen for awhile.

I haven't tried in a couple years, but I used to be able to get the signal in Colorado at night..I'd be driving around and all of a sudden I would be able to hear the Iowa bball game and I'd stop the car and pull over and listen for awhile.

A friend and I use to occassionaly drive to top of Loveland Pass to listen to Hawk bball games on WHO. (You could get them tuned in around top of Genesee, but was crystal clear if drove further west).

In the early 70's WHO had a program called Country Music USA that had the slogan "coast to coast, border to border and then some." It was followed by reruns of the old radio program Lum and Abner. Then it was time to tune in to KAAY from Little Rock and be educated by Beaker Street, hosted by the legendary "Clyde Clifford" which was followed by a broadcast of various old radio programs via Beaker Theater.
Dude, I'd forgotten about, I was young, but use to love Beaker Street and remember KAAY too. Thanks for the memory!

They have been doing this for years. Not sure how they haven't been called to the carpet for this yet, as it's a no-no.

WHO Daytime May:

WHO_AM_LD.gif

Nighttime

WHO_AM_LN.gif

The night signal can be heard really far away...like Carolina's, Wyoming, Colorado, Georgia...but sketch in Illinois.

At night, the signal skips..bounces off the ionosphere and then comes down somewhere else...so think of it going up and up and over Illinois, then somewhere over there it hits the ionosphere and bounces back down landing in the SE.

Jon, do you have medical insurance? Some of you need to keep your mouth shut and not screw up a good thing for those of us who follow the games on iheart radio apps. Just kidding Jon........ but you might want to check with your agent just in case. :D

Last edited:

Latest posts