How does this Nightmare End?

longtimer

One loss and the dogs are out and letting loose with the UGLY truth. I saw a "soundoff" on Des Moines channel 13 that really pounded how bad we are and how bad our QB is Many other media sources with like stories

We are going to lose more games regardless of who plays QB but D Hill cannot be the QB and I don't think Ferentz will expose him to that? If he does his arrogance will undo the many positives of his time at Iowa

I don't think new AD will have to make a decision at year end as BF will resign. Always better to resign than be fired. And she will not fire KF but I would imagine if a financial agreement could be made he might decide a good time to leave. Always a supporter of KF but I would like to see it happen

Assuming he leaves then what? A lot of people would like to see our Special Teams coach get the HC job. Not sure coaching special teams is a great lead in to a power 5 coaching job that undoubtedly will have some significant rebuilding to do? Or do we go out and try to get some new blood that hopefully plays football in the present?

Have you ever stopped to consider whether this is a great dream or a nightmare? The odds of a team like Iowa hiring two legends in a row are very remote. Three legends in a row may be impossible. Botch this hire, then the real nightmare begins.
Iowa is 11-3 since the end of last October.... they were a really bad call away from being 12-2 over the last year. That doesn't happen very often at many schools, particularly the one we cheer for. This feels like the end of a really great dream

Have you ever stopped to consider whether this is a great dream or a nightmare? The odds of a team like Iowa hiring two legends in a row are very remote. Three legends in a row may be impossible. Botch this hire, then the real nightmare begins.
Kind of like Green Bay with their unprecedented run of top QB's over the years. Just doesn't happen.

Kind of like Green Bay with their unprecedented run of top QB's over the years. Just doesn't happen.
The nightmare of the mediocre to below average QB’s we have had over twenty-five years. That might not be fair to the players as it could be the play calling, the lack of good coaching, or both on the offensive side of the ball. It just happens.

Iowa is 11-3 since the end of last October.... they were a really bad call away from being 12-2 over the last year. That doesn't happen very often at many schools, particularly the one we cheer for. This feels like the end of a really great drea
Two weak schedules helped that stat. What might have been if we only had an offense. That’s the really sad part of all of this. Excellent defense carrying the water for the poor offense.

Iowa is 11-3 since the end of last October.... they were a really bad call away from being 12-2 over the last year. That doesn't happen very often at many schools, particularly the one we cheer for. This feels like the end of a really great dream

Yeah, we are one terrible call from being 7-1

If we can get things back in order, we have a possibility of winning the remainder
of the games, other than Nebraska, which I had as a loss before the season began

Despite the offensive woes, we should have won the game

Can't argue with the record

Remains to be seen if we can recover from the mess last Saturday

Having a bye week certainly comes at the most opportune time

It's Almost All Good

:cool:

Two weak schedules helped that stat. What might have been if we only had an offense. That’s the really sad part of all of this. Excellent defense carrying the water for the poor offense.
I can only judge this program off the play on the field and playing against teams that are on their schedule. If 11-3 over the last year isn't good enough for you, I don't think you are going to ever be particularly satisfied with Iowa football. Which is fine by me, I just think you gotta let some happiness into your life. No way you could cheer for an NFL team with that kind of expectation.

The offense is so bad I'm disregarding what has transpired since that long pass we completed against PSU in 2021. It's still a dream what Ferentz has done. I am so fortunate to have been at every big win from 2008 to 2010, got to see McNutt beat MSU in person, got to see Iowa beat Michigan in the Big House, got to see PSU's dreams derailed. My old man set the stage for me in '85, he assured me I better enjoy that while it lasted because it was never gonna happen again. We've been close to that twice, maybe even thrice under Ferentz. I'm lucky that my old man taught me that truth back in '85 because it forced me to follow this team immensely on that stellar run from '08-'10. I don't see anything like that ever happening again, but thinking back to Kirk's early days, I never thought such lofty heights were possible.

Disclaimer - I lived in Japan when the 2002 season happened and had to live that via VHS tapes my uncle mailed me every week. The only game I saw live was the Orange Bowl. I'd rather forget that one.

The odds of us finding a stellar replacement for Ferentz are very remote. We gotta enjoy what has happened.

Yeah, we are one terrible call from being 7-1

If we can get things back in order, we have a possibility of winning the remainder
of the games, other than Nebraska, which I had as a loss before the season began

Despite the offensive woes, we should have won the game

Can't argue with the record

Remains to be seen if we can recover from the mess last Saturday

Having a bye week certainly comes at the most opportune time

It's Almost All Good

:cool:
We could but I also realize Minny is not much at all of a good football team and I think Wisky is not either. The fact that either of these teams who we played stick out of the rest of the west teams is disconcerting as I think there isn't much gap between really any of the west teams.

In every leadership class I have taken, they say focus on prep and development and stepped improvements and results will follow. Don't focus always on the results because they can be misleading often.

IA Football does this well on D and Special Teams. But the prep/development/improvements is failing on offense. While W/L record isn't fully reflective of a failed O, it will shortly and was evident 3 days ago.

How does this nightmare end? The real Iowa nightmare is down the road a few years. College football is well on its way to its creative destruction. A good Iowa regular season will be 7 and 5 and many years 4 and 8. Everyone not named OSU, MI, PSU, SoCsl, WA, and ORE are nothing more than cannon fodder after 2022. The formula for success is pure demographics. All you have to do is look at state population and minority make up of it to determine who is likely to compete.

The IA's, WI's, MN's, and NE's do not have the demographics or the NIL dollars to be competitive. Whoever becomes Iowa's HC will never be able to match the wins that Fry and Ferentz have provided. I'm just being realistic. the B1G Conference is nearing the end of participation by some of its members. I can see Northwestern dropping out followed by the IA's and NE's. Those are the two smallest populated states in the current Big Ten.

I can only judge this program off the play on the field and playing against teams that are on their schedule. If 11-3 over the last year isn't good enough for you, I don't think you are going to ever be particularly satisfied with Iowa football. Which is fine by me, I just think you gotta let some happiness into your life. No way you could cheer for an NFL team with that kind of expectation.
Then go back to Sept 1 of 22. Since we’re choosing random time periods add Sept and 4 more losses. But you won’t do that bc you’re too busy fawning over 9 win seasons where we eek 4th quarter wins against perennial cellar dwellers of power conference teams, and get curb stomped by the only 3 or 4 teams in our conference that are nationally respected. Go tug on yourself all you want to 9-6 wins over _____ (insert irrelevant garbage west team of your choice) where Iowa torches said team for 215 totals, but not everyone is that easily excited. Your condescending posts to anyone who doesn’t worship at the Ferentz alter like you are so old. Fry used to be the biggest dick on here but you are giving him a run for his money. No wonder this place has been a ghost town for years.

The nightmare has already has begin but nobody realizes it. Just when you think it can't get worse (2021), it gets worse, in 2022 they find the stairs to the basement. And just when you're sure it cant get worse, they find a trap door in the basement.

Look at the QB recruiting and development apart from Cade. Labbas isn't game ready after 3 years in the program. This has become common. now who the heck wants to play for Iowa anyway?

Same thing for the WR position.

Then go back to Sept 1 of 22. Since we’re choosing random time periods add Sept and 4 more losses. But you won’t do that bc you’re too busy fawning over 9 win seasons where we eek 4th quarter wins against perennial cellar dwellers of power conference teams, and get curb stomped by the only 3 or 4 teams in our conference that are nationally respected. Go tug on yourself all you want to 9-6 wins over _____ (insert irrelevant garbage west team of your choice) where Iowa torches said team for 215 totals, but not everyone is that easily excited. Your condescending posts to anyone who doesn’t worship at the Ferentz alter like you are so old. Fry used to be the biggest dick on here but you are giving him a run for his money. No wonder this place has been a ghost town for years.
Oh yeah, it's me. I am only asking for rational thoughts here right. I am condescending because I am curious what sort of drugs ya gotta be on not to recognize how great this program is and has been, specifically over the last 5 years when they upped their winning percentage. Asking for fans not to call the 9th most winning football program in the sport over the last 5 years a nightmare, doesn't seem like an offensive take to me. Asking fans not to cheer for the team to lose? Seems fairly logical. I mean, what are we talking about here? Asking why fans are so fixated on winning ball games with offense vs having elite ST and D? Lots of ways to win college football games. Iowa is very good at it and I have #'s to prove that.

also,

Did you see Iowa win at WI this season? That don't count? Not a quality opponent?
How about Kentucky last year? Nothing?
How about beating a 9-4 Minnesota team last year (on the road)? Nothing?
How about beating an 8-6 Purdue team last season that had a ton of offensive power? Nothing? Not good enough?

The nightmare has already has begin but nobody realizes it. Just when you think it can't get worse (2021), it gets worse, in 2022 they find the stairs to the basement. And just when you're sure it cant get worse, they find a trap door in the basement.

Look at the QB recruiting and development apart from Cade. Labbas isn't game ready after 3 years in the program. This has become common. now who the heck wants to play for Iowa anyway?

Same thing for the WR position.
We live in a world where RS and true freshman QBs are playing at large programs more and more. Yet Iowa can't even have a guy like Petras be worth a crap 5 yrs into his tenure. Labas must be a total bust if he can't play over Hill. And Cooper DeJean might just might be considered to play over Lainez who isn't even being considered.

During the season how are these other QBs being coached? What kind of reps and practice are they even getting? Is it 95% just class room stuff or do they actually spend real time on the field getting coached on the fundamentals? Not to mention the passing game side of things. I was really hoping that Cade being brought in would add a level of professionalism to the QB room.

Also, Iowa is 14-7 the last two years. Do the math, that's 67%....not good enough but you know Iowa is going to find a way to be like 17-7 over the last 2 years, or a way to get to 16-6 and that's going to be + 70% - which is ALWAYS going to be getting it done at Iowa. I like eeking out wins, that's how a lot of football teams win and they show up in crunch time.

Also, Fry is a pretty good dude. We've fought on here several times and I can call him a dick but you sir, have not earned that right.

We live in a world where RS and true freshman QBs are playing at large programs more and more. Yet Iowa can't even have a guy like Petras be worth a crap 5 yrs into his tenure. Labas must be a total bust if he can't play over Hill. And Cooper DeJean might just might be considered to play over Lainez who isn't even being considered.

During the season how are these other QBs being coached? What kind of reps and practice are they even getting? Is it 95% just class room stuff or do they actually spend real time on the field getting coached on the fundamentals? Not to mention the passing game side of things. I was really hoping that Cade being brought in would add a level of professionalism to the QB room.
Iowa's inability to develop QB's is a true issue that seems to have only manifested itself as of recent. Iowa used to have a capable back up on their bench and did all to way up til like Stanley was gone. We can hang Brian for that but I think Kirk's thoughts where he'd bring in Budmayr would help solve that issue. It hasn't.

It's no contest on the title, Fry is still the man here. Hawks 2023 still time to have improve the O just enough to win out and have a great overall team result. The moves after this season are the ones we have to get right. O coordinator, and then somewhere down the road head coach. Hire within, LeVar Woods. He's seen alot, the good and the bad and proven successful no matter the role. I hope this can happen.

Iowa's inability to develop QB's is a true issue that seems to have only manifested itself as of recent. Iowa used to have a capable back up on their bench and did all to way up til like Stanley was gone. We can hang Brian for that but I think Kirk's thoughts where he'd bring in Budmayr would help solve that issue. It hasn't.
Giving BF the qb coach hat was laughable. It's hard to tell what Budmayrs impact is. He sure doesn't want credit for anything that's going on. He's to blame for Hill being on the roster I guess. But it falls on KF for putting him in the games.

I'm sure KF is being bombarded with if a QB change is going to happen during this bye week and I wonder how honest he'll be about it or if he'll even do it. Now that the kid has not only played like crap turned it over and LOST a game they shouldn't maybe he'd consider a change. But nothing will surprise me at this point.

Latest posts