How Does ISU Land Better Skill Position Players and Athletes Than Us??

Perhaps the most disturbing thing about this recruiting class is being out worked by ISU. Of course we are going to beat ISU in overall recruiting ranking by a few positions (they will finish about 8 spots behind us)...our budget is 10 times theirs, our history is 10 times better than theirs, our name recognition is 10 times stronger than theirs, and they are one of the worst teams in college football. So taking pride in beating them in recruiting is like taking pride in taking candy from a baby. But when you look at the positions we REALLY need to upgrade, the positions requiring athleticism, how is it that Iowa State's recruiters managed to get:

A 3 star RB from California (when was the last time our staff stepped foot in California?) with Pac 12 offers I don't ever recall an Iowa player from CA, now that you mention that.
A 3 star WR from Oklahoma (when was the last time our staff stepped foot in Oklahoma?) who stands 6'3, 208 It's difficult & almost fruitless to go into Big 12 country & try to pull a recruit to a BIG Iowa.
A 3 star RB from Georgia (when was the last time our staff stepped foot in Georgia?) with an offer from Georgia Tech See the new RB who was the last recruit.
A 3 star LB from Chicago (what happened to our Chicago pipeline?) It's called Notre Dame getting significantly better as well as Mich St. Iowa is battling for leftovers almost. Sucks. Iowa had it great in the 2000's when both Mich St. & Notre Dame sucked. Later Illinois brought in the Zooker & Notre Dame started to figure out their coaching situation a bit better so Iowa has more competition recruiting Illinois.
Three 3 star DLs from Florida and Mississippi and a JUCO (our staff got frustrated recruiting Fla, so they quit, and stubbornly refuses to recruit JUCOs)Most coaches don't want to have JUCO's as part of their recruiting plan but only out of a necessity. many of these players are JUCO's secondary to being suspect with outside issues and or lower grades. There is a risk. I know you keep bringing up this JUCO point, but KF has stated in the past that is not in the best interest to go that route to try to build a program.

None of these guys are low hanging fruit. None grew up Cyclone fans. All of them had to be absolutely SOLD to come to the frozen tundra of Iowa and play for a cellar dweller team in a tiny stadium. All of these guys would have been welcomed additions to our recruiting class. So what on earth does Iowa State's staff have that we don't? They leave no stone left unturned while our staff gives late offers to Iowa boys who were planning on going to UNI. Meanwhile, a quick glance at their class shows that most come from Texas, Florida and California, with others from Georgia, Mississippi, and other southern states. For such a low paid staff on a low level team, they at the very least clearly outworked our staff.

It's frustrating. Iowa should be full of at least 3 star recruits on the classes with the occasional 4* intermixed. That's where this program should be.

ISU can go 1-11 every year, but you will not see me ever take pot shots at them until we start kicking their a*** year after year....same goes for basketball where their talent level and game day atmosphere at Hilton makes Iowa and Carver look like a joke!

Last edited:
ISU can go 1-11 every year, but you will not see me ever take pot shots at them until we start licking their a*** year after year....same goes for basketball where their talent level and game day atmosphere at Hilton makes Iowa and Carver look like a joke!

"Licking their a***"??

Whoa, I'm not going there!

Bla bla bla this, bla bla bla that. All the threads and complaints, very legit. Basically it comes down to this. Sports is a performanced based industry (except at Iowa). We have one of the highest paid coaches in college football (9.5 on a pay scale of 1 thru 10) and we are getting poor results ( a 5 at best on the previous scale). For Kirk to continue to accept his pay and not live up to performance expectations is borderline immoral. Next season has to be a a do or die season for him in the minds of any sane moral level thinking person.

I wish him the best and the players and hope they really tear it up, but my expectations at this point aren't very high. The likely senario for next years results is the only thing being torn up is his contract. I have been one of his biggest supporters since his hiring but it just seems like whatever he once had is gone. I hope I am wrong and will be overwhelmingly happy to eat my words. I want Iowa to win and be successful and if it is with Kirk that is great but to continue to pay him one of the best salaries in college football and get below average results is just STUPID and puts the University of Iowa in a bad light.

This is is not a good era for athletics at Iowa. Things need to change.

Last edited:
Alas, change is not forthcoming any time soon. The staff shakeup that we were all hoping for is not going to happen. Young Brian can continue living off dad's coattails for a few more years without working 1/2 as hard at recruiting as any other Big 10 coach his age.

With all due respect to Willies, Lazard's ability is on a completely different level.

Iowa State is also forced to play guys right away. They have had approximately a dozen players transfer or get kicked off the team in the last month alone. Willies was behind an all time leader in Martin-Manley, an World Record holder in Smith, and a speedster in Powell.

Iowa was forced to do this at LB this year and it was a debacle, like Iowa States football history.

Based on what?

That's a complete assumption, with no evidence to back it up.

check admission standards (between conferences/schools) when you make comparisons. it's not apples to apples.

the whole juco thing (ferentz doesn't do it) - maybe there is a reason for that.

you know what the guy up in WI said - who went back west.........

So how did Iowa land good classes in the past?

We are obviously going backwards at a rapid pace any way you look at it.

check admission standards (between conferences/schools) when you make comparisons. it's not apples to apples.

the whole juco thing (ferentz doesn't do it) - maybe there is a reason for that.

you know what the guy up in WI said - who went back west.........

Dillian Kidd and Damond Powell just called and said that you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about and are totally full of ****.

I understand that you love Ferentz. If you're going to make up lies trying to defend him, make up a lie that isn't common knowledge and disproven by a simple google search.

Alas, change is not forthcoming any time soon. The staff shakeup that we were all hoping for is not going to happen. Young Brian can continue living off dad's coattails for a few more years without working 1/2 as hard at recruiting as any other Big 10 coach his age.

First off, never did Kirk say he was going to shake up the staff. That was only internet "experts" like yourself.

Second, look at the star ratings for all the incoming recruits. Brian has the higher rated players. People like you complain that Iowa only brought in one four star recruit. Guess who brought in that recruit... that's right, Brian.

You really have a lot of hate toward Kirk for some reason. I can't say I was happy with last season but I'm certainly not going to make the kind of statements you have made here about Kirk and staff. Makes me wonder where you work; remind me not to EVER apply there as the negative atmosphere that you alone generate has to be stifling morale.

I truly think that this IowaLaw moron is the biggest Cyclone troll of them all.

DUDE, YOU ARE CLUELESS SPEWING ALL OF THIS NONSENSICAL TRASH.

JON MILLER, PLEASE BAN THIS IDIOT FOR LIFE

Dillian Kidd and Damond Powell just called and said that you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about and are totally full of ****.

I understand that you love Ferentz. If you're going to make up lies trying to defend him, make up a lie that isn't common knowledge and disproven by a simple google search.

Brad Banks?

Latest posts