How does a kid get convinced this is a good idea?

CP87

http://www.espn.com/blog/ncfnation/

Isn't there a parent, grand parent, coach, or other mentor to explain just what a dick-move this is? I don't really blame the kid cause I was dumb in high school too, and probably did some stupid stuff because I thought it was clever. But never in front of a national audience.

http://www.espn.com/blog/ncfnation/

Isn't there a parent, grand parent, coach, or other mentor to explain just what a dick-move this is? I don't really blame the kid cause I was dumb in high school too, and probably did some stupid stuff because I thought it was clever. But never in front of a national audience.

Would you mind explaining what is so bad about this? The article seems to link it with his mullet, but I don't get it, other than he is an odd "little brother" kind of guy.

My bad, provided the wrong link:

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=18597473

Basically, the kid took his coat off to reveal a Florida shirt, everyone goes crazy, and then he takes the Florida shirt off to reveal an FSU shirt, and then he takes off that shirt to reveal a USC shirt (his real choice). Considering how much effort these coaching staffs expend trying to get a kid to commit, it seems like kind of a mean tease to the FL and FSU staff and fans. Then again, as many half-truths and as much propaganda as is thrown the kids' way, perhaps this is some reasonable payback.

Personally, I would advise my kid to respectfully contact the teams under consideration that were not chosen before any public decision was announced. Then again, my kids will never be in a position to have blue blood programs fighting over them, so I guess it is all hypothetical.

Yep, pretty pathetic move on his part. A lot of what is wrong w/ today's people. Rude, disrespectful kids/people

But kids have always been rude and disrespectful, mostly because they are stupid and don't know any better. But there should be a mentor somewhere near this kid to say, "Hey, think about how this is going to make people feel?"

But kids have always been rude and disrespectful, mostly because they are stupid and don't know any better. But there should be a mentor somewhere near this kid to say, "Hey, think about how this is going to make people feel?"

It's very sad you think all kids are like that. Some kids have good parents as mentors. I will admit that too many don't. And that number gets larger each year. It's frightening how many people aren't able to recognize or be bothered by this truth.

It's very sad you think all kids are like that. Some kids have good parents as mentors. I will admit that too many don't. And that number gets larger each year. It's frightening how many people aren't able to recognize or be bothered by this truth.

I didn't express my thoughts very well. I think all kids have the tendency to be rude and disrepectful because of ignorance, that is, not knowing what is considered good form and what isn't. You are right, it is up to the mentors to teach them this, which is what I was trying to get at. This decision should have been overrule by a mentor with more life experience who could explain how disrespectful this is to the other schools you were considering.

Once they sign that LOI, these kids go from having all the power, to having none. The really smart ones get that.

Until they prove otherwise, they are a scrub freshman, hat flip time is over.

If he pulled that shirt trick while standing on my lawn, I would shake my cane in his general direction like nobody's business!

Hate the whole "hat thing" when that started. Now this just takes it to another level. His mom, or whoever was sitting next to him thought it was so wonderfully clever, but you could just hear the people in the crowd groaning.

I hope someone sits him down and talks to him about being humble, but at this point it looks like it's probably too late. Like someone posted above, he'll probably end up at all those schools sooner or later. LOL

I didn't express my thoughts very well. I think all kids have the tendency to be rude and disrepectful because of ignorance, that is, not knowing what is considered good form and what isn't. You are right, it is up to the mentors to teach them this, which is what I was trying to get at. This decision should have been overrule by a mentor with more life experience who could explain how disrespectful this is to the other schools you were considering.
It's too bad that there are some adults out there that aren't a whole lot more mature then the kids they are supposed to be mentoring....

Hate the whole "hat thing" when that started. Now this just takes it to another level. His mom, or whoever was sitting next to him thought it was so wonderfully clever, but you could just hear the people in the crowd groaning.

I hope someone sits him down and talks to him about being humble, but at this point it looks like it's probably too late. Like someone posted above, he'll probably end up at all those schools sooner or later. LOL

I bet somewhere along the line this guy will realize that his move was probably in poor taste, and he will be a bit embarrassed and wished he had done it differently. It might take 10 years to get there, but I bet he does.