How Do We Beat The Huskers?

We're going to have to get in the film room and watch a lot of tape. They are a well coached team with a lot of weapons, but I have confidence in our guys. I know CJ will be tested all day long but I am confident he will continue to perform at a high level.

Did I miss something...most national pundits said this was an epic poor hire, the fanbase wanted him fired immediately up to the MSU game, and you think they are well coached?

They are not a good team period. Yes they lost a lot of close games but the key word is LOST. A Purdue team torched them for 52 points. Their pass defense is the worst we will have seen this year. 12th in the nation rush defense is good but look at what we were able to do versus, Wisconsin, and Northwestern's defense. They are not invincible at home anymore...not seeing where we have to be afraid of the big bad scary Husker.

The wind could be a factor just like last weekend. When Nebraska is going in to the wind would love to see Iowa go to a 5 man front with Faith in there. Force Tommy to throw the ball in to the wind.

Show up. Iowa is a much better team, as long as they show up ready to play, the score will reflect.

They can blitz if they want. We've seen that already by several teams, big state, Pitt, Illinois, Maryland, etc. we can handle.

We've had low expectations at the beginning of the season: Iowa cleaned up the non-conference slate
We thought "well, now the real game, Wiconsin": We beat them in their own house.
We had "trap" games: We won.
We've had "letdown" games after emotional wins: Still kept on winning.
We played with division title on the line: We took care of business on Senior Day.
Every game from here on out is a MUST WIN to get to the playoffs. This team has no issue playing under pressure and will have a national championship as a motivation for each and every game from here on out.

We beat Nebraska like we beat every team before them this season. Balanced attacks, and one of the best offensive lines in terms of run blocking in the country. And then, when we're all screaming at our TVs because we've been waiting for that play action, thinking it's too late... CJB delivers it.

Although Neb did sneak in a victory over MSU, this is still the team that lost to Purdue, NW, Wisc, ILL, BYU and Miami.

Even if you write a couple of those off as bad luck, good teams do not leave themsevles vulnerable to losing on a fluke play. Good teams have the game won before the last series. Neb is not a good team.

with the exception of Wisc, Iowa has played no team that had the ball with a chance to win in the last 2 minutes. well I guess Pitt could have went for 2 after their last TD, but they were playing for OT so Pitt does not count.

And unless I'm remembering incorrectly, even if Wisconsin would've scored on their last possession we still would've gotten the ball back with maybe 90 seconds and a timeout. Can't remember exactly but I remember telling myself something like that during the goal line stand.

We've had low expectations at the beginning of the season: Iowa cleaned up the non-conference slate
We thought "well, now the real game, Wiconsin": We beat them in their own house.
We had "trap" games: We won.
We've had "letdown" games after emotional wins: Still kept on winning.
We played with division title on the line: We took care of business on Senior Day.
Every game from here on out is a MUST WIN to get to the playoffs. This team has no issue playing under pressure and will have a national championship as a motivation for each and every game from here on out.

We beat Nebraska like we beat every team before them this season. Balanced attacks, and one of the best offensive lines in terms of run blocking in the country. And then, when we're all screaming at our TVs because we've been waiting for that play action, thinking it's too late... CJB delivers it.

Couldn't have said it better. Nebby meets the B1G West champs this Friday, they should be s****ing themselves.

Good post, can't imagine Nebraska will be up to get to a crap December bowl. If Nebraska considers themselves a spoiler they are more messed up than I ever thought.
They will be facing a top 5 team in their house. Of course they will be fired up to play the spoiler role, more so than playing for any crap bowl game.

They will be facing a top 5 team in their house. Of course they will be fired up to play the spoiler role, more so than playing for any crap bowl game.

But you don't think that we'll be more fired up with what is at stake. If we show up ready to play in Lincoln I don't see how they possibly come out more fired up then we do. Being the team that has to mentally check into a game to play the roll of spoiler in my mind fails in comparison to a team who's playing out of their minds and within reach of a playoff birth.

The way I see it we're motivated to play for 60 minutes. They're motivation may quickly fade and disappear based on how the game starts.

If we play the way we're capable of for four quarters, there is almost no chance we will lose this game. If we have the kind of letdown we've had in the past few games, especially on defense, anything can happen.

That being said, I think we'll stomp the crap out of them! Go Hawks!!!!!

Since they are good against the run and terrible against the pass, I assume we will try to establish the run.

At the beginning of the year we had an empty trophy case. There are 7 possible to grab in a season. The Hawks have grabbed 4 of them and are looking at no. 5 this weekend. They will be very determined to get it. These Hawks aren't screwing around and playing sloppy football. Now on the other hand I believe that's the fusker way and just because they are playing the Hawks doesn't mean all of a sudden they become giant killers. They better bring their A game or they will get embarrassed!

At the beginning of the year we had an empty trophy case. There are 7 possible to grab in a season. The Hawks have grabbed 4 of them and are looking at no. 5 this weekend. They will be very determined to get it. These Hawks aren't screwing around and playing sloppy football. Now on the other hand I believe that's the fusker way and just because they are playing the Hawks doesn't mean all of a sudden they become giant killers. They better bring their A game or they will get embarrassed!

There are actually 8 trophies to grab:

1. Cy-Hawk
2. The Bull
3. Floyd
4. Heroes
5. B1G West
6. BIG
7. Cotton/Orange Bowl
8. Nat'l Championship

The Hawks have had an awesome season so far, and that’ll be true no matter what happens from here on out. But if we lose the next 2 games, some of the bloom will be off the rose. I just hope we can finish what we started. I don’t want to hear the “I told you so’s” that will be spouted by ESPN and FOX pundits if we get thrashed by Nebraska.

The Hawks have been under increasing pressure over the past weeks, to the point where it is at an unprecedented level. Even so, I'm fairly confident that C.J. can keep the offense going against Nebraska, and against anyone we might face in Indy. But I'm really worried about how our defense will hold up. They already look worn out, both physically and mentally, and they won’t have a chance to rest or recuperate until after both of these games are played. Nebraska, on the other hand, has had two weeks to get rested and healthy and to figure out how to attack the weaknesses in our defense.

Don’t get me wrong – I believe everyone on our defense has done a great job so far, without exception, and that they will give maximum effort in the next two games, but I also think they are running out of energy. Over the past several games, we seem to be going backward in defending both the run and the pass. Our vulnerabilities have been exposed, and teams are learning how to exploit them. Our small DE's (and to some extent our tackles) have not been as stout against the run as they were earlier in the season. Teams now are frequently getting the edge, for big gains. The DL doesn’t seem to have the energy to get a great push or to put much pressure on the QB. In pass defense, a couple of our defenders seem to be regularly out of position and a step slow. Our opponents have learned they can consistently take advantage of these defenders. To its credit, the defense has done enough to keep things from getting out of hand, and the offense has come through with enough points to win every game so far. Will this work against Nebraska?

No doubt Nebraska has identified the vulnerabilities in our defense and will try to exploit them. They are rested and confident, and are playing at home. I’m sure they feel they have a blueprint for mounting a successful attack against our defense. It will be a very difficult game for us unless our defense makes some significant improvements and plays its best game.

We have had only 6 days to get our tired and stressed roster ready for the most important game of their lives (so far). To win, we are going to need a great week of practice, a good start to the game, an effective defense strategy, and a potent offense. This game really worries me.

Last edited:
The Hawks have had an awesome season so far, and that’ll be true no matter what happens from here on out. But if we lose the next 2 games, some of the bloom will be off the rose. I just hope we can finish what we started. I don’t want to hear the “I told you so’s†that will be spouted by ESPN and FOX pundits if we get thrashed by Nebraska.

The Hawks have been under increasing pressure over the past weeks, to the point where it is at an unprecedented level. Even so, I'm fairly confident that C.J. can keep the offense going against Nebraska, and against anyone we might face in Indy. But I'm really worried about how our defense will hold up. They already looks worn out, both physically and mentally, and they won’t have a chance to rest or recuperate until after both of these games are played. Nebraska, on the other hand, has had two weeks to get rested and healthy and to figure out how to attack the weaknesses in our defense.

Don’t get me wrong – I believe everyone on our defense has done a great job so far, without exception, and that they will give maximum effort in the next two games, but I also think they are running out of energy. Over the past several games, we seem to be going backward in defending both the run and the pass. Our vulnerabilities have been exposed, and teams are learning how to exploit them. Our small DE's (and to some extent our tackles) have not been as stout against the run as they were earlier in the season. Teams now are frequently getting the edge, for big gains. The DL doesn’t seem to have the energy to get a great push or to put much pressure on the QB. In pass defense, we seem to be regularly out of position and a step slow. Our opponents have learned there are two or three defenders they can consistently take advantage of. To its credit, the defense has done enough to keep things from getting out of hand, and the offense has come through with enough points to win every game so far. Will this ****** work against Nebraska?

No doubt Nebraska has identified the vulnerabilities in our defense and will try to exploit them. They are rested and confident, and are playing at home. I’m sure they feel they have a blueprint for mounting a successful attack against our defense. It will be a very difficult game for us unless our defense makes some significant improvements and plays its best game.

We have had only 6 days to get our tired and stressed roster ready for the most important game of their lives (so far). To win, we are going to need a great week of practice, a good start to the game, an effective defense strategy, and a potent offense. This game really worries me.

I have to disagree. How many near-picks did King have against Purdue? I'd say that's far from being out of position. And Armstrong is a far more inconsistent QB than anybody else we've faced this year. We'll set the edge and let Mabin and King cover. Force Armstrong to go deep and make hay off of turnovers.

The Hawks have had an awesome season so far, and that’ll be true no matter what happens from here on out. But if we lose the next 2 games, some of the bloom will be off the rose. I just hope we can finish what we started. I don’t want to hear the “I told you so’s†that will be spouted by ESPN and FOX pundits if we get thrashed by Nebraska.

The Hawks have been under increasing pressure over the past weeks, to the point where it is at an unprecedented level. Even so, I'm fairly confident that C.J. can keep the offense going against Nebraska, and against anyone we might face in Indy. But I'm really worried about how our defense will hold up. They already looks worn out, both physically and mentally, and they won’t have a chance to rest or recuperate until after both of these games are played. Nebraska, on the other hand, has had two weeks to get rested and healthy and to figure out how to attack the weaknesses in our defense.

Don’t get me wrong – I believe everyone on our defense has done a great job so far, without exception, and that they will give maximum effort in the next two games, but I also think they are running out of energy. Over the past several games, we seem to be going backward in defending both the run and the pass. Our vulnerabilities have been exposed, and teams are learning how to exploit them. Our small DE's (and to some extent our tackles) have not been as stout against the run as they were earlier in the season. Teams now are frequently getting the edge, for big gains. The DL doesn’t seem to have the energy to get a great push or to put much pressure on the QB. In pass defense, we seem to be regularly out of position and a step slow. Our opponents have learned there are two or three defenders they can consistently take advantage of. To its credit, the defense has done enough to keep things from getting out of hand, and the offense has come through with enough points to win every game so far. Will this ****** work against Nebraska?

Seems that SOME of the Huskers spent part of that 2 weeks getting drunk and scr***ng under age chicks. Not sure how much rest and game prep that gains 'em.

I have to disagree. How many near-picks did King have against Purdue? I'd say that's far from being out of position. And Armstrong is a far more inconsistent QB than anybody else we've faced this year. We'll set the edge and let Mabin and King cover. Force Armstrong to go deep and make hay off of turnovers.

I wasn't naming names, but I was thinking of Mabin and Fisher, certainly not King. I hope you're right. I just don't like a backup QB from Purdue having all day and shredding our pass defense. Armstrong can be on or off. If he's on, I think we might have trouble. If we don't contain, he'll run. If we don't cover, they can score pretty fast.

Latest posts