How did you become an Iowa fan?

I was born at the University of Iowa Hospital to two Iowa students. Been a fan since. Never really considered any other schools when choosing a college. Football season ticket holder since I graduated.

Through a complex and potentially life-threatening procedure, a single handedly hunted and killed a gold tailed hawk with a sling. Then, I removed it's blood, infused it with gold flakes and bure carbon (black and gold), then transfused it into my body, so I litterally bleed black and gold. Then, when I was 7, I learned that the Hawkeye's colors were black and gold, so they natuarally seemed like the team for me.

Like many, I went to school at Iowa. However, during my first year there they brought in this new coach named Hayden Fry. Been hooked ever since.

My parents were not huge Iowa fans. I was 10 when Iowa went to the Rose Bowl in '81. That season, I began to listen to Iowa game on WHO. Like someone said above, I remember harvesting corn and sitting in the truck listening to Iowa games. I started wrestling that same year, so my love for Iowa wrestling started in the spring. Ended up going to Iowa and graduated. Pretty much been a season ticket holder for Football and wrestling ever since, even for the three years while living in St. Louis.
My wife (also an Iowa grad/fan) have instilled Iowa into both of our boys (ages 3 and 7).

My parents were Hawkeye fans, so growing up it was a natural instinct.

I wasn't really all that interested in football until I was almost a teenager though. My dad was very sick with Leukemia at the time, and was undergoing a bone marrow transplant at University of Iowa Hospitals. I was 12 years old, in 7th grade. We spent most of that holiday season, including Christmas in the hospital with him, and I remember sitting in a lounge, spending countless hours staring out across the street at Kinnick Stadium.

Through the Ronald McDonald house, I was given a tour of the stadium and because it was basketball season, we were invited to attend practice a few times, meet the staff and players. Very exciting as a young kid. I guess it all started for me right then.

My dad survived another 8 years because of his bone marrow transplant, but he eventually died from the illness when I was 20 at the same hospital that had saved him just 8 years earlier. Once again, I sat in that same lounge and looked out across the street at Kinnick Stadium. Deja Vu.

As soon as I graduated from college (UNI), I bought season tickets for football. I've been to every game since 2003. Kinnick, Iowa City and U of I hospitals hold a very special place in my heart. As a scared young boy, to an extent, they were all I had for a while.

My dad was a big Iowa State fan (his brother in law was captain of the football team) but all of his friends were Iowa fans so of course I had to side with his friends when we all got together to watch football. I have now successfully converted him though and Iowa State has been demoted to his 2nd favorite team as it should be.

I was a kid when the 69-70 team won the B10, plus I used to usher FB games with the Boy Scouts. Graduated in 85.

In the late 1960's when I started thinking about going to Iowa for college. My dad listened to the Iowa basketball games and I started paying attention to those broadcasts. When Iowa played in the NCAA tournament in 1970 under Ralph Miller we watched the semi-final against Jacksonville. That was the first time I really got into rooting for the Hawks, and I never looked back.

Dad's side of family are nothing but Hawkeyes. But personally I became most enticed watching Brad Banks take us to the Orange Bowl.

I was born into it in 1973. The final four and 81 rose bowl I am sure sealed the deal for me as my folks are not really pro Iowa or Iowa St. During all the excitement of this season, my finace and I will be bringing a new Hawkeye into the world in June. ANd I really do mean because of all the excitement, was not planned, but completely happy all the same.

:)

My parents don't give a crap about any sports, so came to it on my own.

I actually remember the first T-shirt that I bought was an ISU shirt in 2nd or 3rd grade--living in NW Iowa seemed about an equal following at the time.

When I got to junior high and started playing sports just started identifying more with the Hawks. I remember listening to many games on KSCJ out of Sioux City while doing fall field work. I don't remember much about the '81 Rose Bowl team, but I was a Hawk fan all the way by the time they had their '85 run.

Had season tickets for FB and BB while a grad student '93-'97.

My sister and her husband are both Cyclone alumni and they're trying to convert the kids to their side, but my children are too smart for that.

My father took me to my first Iowa game in 1962 (I was 7 years old). On the drive up with two other grown men they talked about Kinnick and the Evy years. There was cigar smoke, bourbon and great food. Everyone was happy and having a great time. Iowa won that day and I was instantly hooked. It was just overwhelming for a 7 year old boy, but so exciting to be a part of it.

Football Saturdays are the ultimate family activity and the perfect escape. Time is suspended on game day when an entire state gets behind the Hawks. It is still a thrill almost 50 years later and never gets old.

On Iowa

As a youth, no one in my family cared about sports for the most part. In 1956 Iowa played in the Rose Bowl, I'm not sure if I even really understood the importance of the event, but I was hooked. I used to listen to games on the radio when I had the opportunity. Never got to see a game in person until I was discharged from the Navy - Iowa vs MSU in 1969. Today we have season tickets and hardly ever miss a game. What a wonderful chain of events in my life! Now my grandchildren ask to go on a regular basis and I'm more than happy to try and accomodate them.

Born in '79 and some of my earliest memories are attending games at a sold out Carver in the mid to late 80's when the BB team was loaded with talent, played a fast paced tempo and were consistently winning - good times! - I still have the Sporting News Cover when Iowa was the preseason #1 team in the nation - The loss in the Elite 8 to UNLV is still the most traumatic loss in my Iowa sports memory bank.

For me it was the moment I found out that this "Hayden Fry" guy had asked the Pittsburgh Steelers if they could use their color scheme to instill a winning attitude in his University of Iowa football team...I was 11 so I didn't know much about Hayden or the Hawks, but I knew I liked the Steelers from seeing them win the Superbowl on tv a couple of times and reading about them in those cool books they had in the library at school. You know those thin ones you could read in 20 minutes that had cool pictures of the games or Godzilla or whatever the subject of the particular book was...so when I heard that my favorite football team in the history of the world didn't just say "yes" but sent Iowa some official uniforms, I was bound by the laws of God and man to bleed Black and Gold for the rest of eternity...and now I'm a much bigger Hawkeye fan than I am a Steelers fan, despite the 6 Superbowl trophies...and that's taking nothing away from my Steelers fandom! Just gotta love them Hawks!

grew up wrestling and at the time iowa was dominating everyone so as a little kid you gotta go with the best team right!

gable era was amazing to watch with lots of memories

i remember tom and terry put on a wrestling camp in perry and after the camp tom ripped off his champion logo on his wrestling shorts. i was hooked forever!

Older friend from high school (in the--yuck--chicago suburbs) chose Iowa. Heard lots of good things about the school, IC, and the excitement surrounding '81 Rose Bowl.
Chose Iowa for myself, enrolled in 1983, hooked on Hawks and the whole state immediately. Graduated 1987.
Die-hard Hawkeye for life. And proud of it!!:)

Prolly my earliest memory of the Hawkeyes was watching the Rose Bowl at my Grandmas house and my Dad being very upset to put it lightly. Then after the Elite 8 loss to UNLV i remember him throwing something at the wall slaming the door and heading straight to the local tavern! The back to back Holiday Bowl wins were both really exciting and I was captivated every since. Felt like the strong football and bb teams in the 80's gave us something to cheer about when alot of folks didn't have much to be cheerfull for in rural Iowa.

Latest posts