How did the O Line get so bad?

hawkinn3

This is Iowa, we used to trot out bulldozers on the line. We consistently have small linemen now that need 3 years just to be passable.

If anything I would expect Kirk to still coach up linemen but here we are.

Skilled Recruits dont want to play for Iowa- I get it were no SEC state etc. etc. but the quality and skillset of our recruiting class has taken a shit at nearly every offensive position over the last 4 yrs or so… i would bet they use to be able recruit the o line saying look af all the guys playing on Sunday (wirfs, daniels, scherff, bulaga etc) but outside of Linderbaum I cant see any more of this current class playing in so much as arena league.

something else that may be painful to see play out is how much the strength and conditioning changes affect Iowas ability to take a 280lbs HS lineman and turn him into 320lbbs of imposing will

I don’t care about the recruiting, we’ve never done that. It’s the lack of development of size and skill.

I don’t care about the recruiting, we’ve never done that. It’s the lack of development of size and skill.
You got to start with something..recruiting does matter. That is why you see what you saw yesterday… maybe in 3 more years the current core will be avg/ above avg but then in yr 5 your back to being pissed off

Skilled Recruits dont want to play for Iowa- I get it were no SEC state etc. etc. but the quality and skillset of our recruiting class has taken a shit at nearly every offensive position over the last 4 yrs or so… i would bet they use to be able recruit the o line saying look af all the guys playing on Sunday (wirfs, daniels, scherff, bulaga etc) but outside of Linderbaum I cant see any more of this current class playing in so much as arena league.

something else that may be painful to see play out is how much the strength and conditioning changes affect Iowas ability to take a 280lbs HS lineman and turn him into 320lbbs of imposing will

Wirfs and AJackson were recruited to Iowa as big players. But your point is true. Our tackles last nite just did not have the quick feet, technique, and hands to perform well. I mean sometimes they just whiffed on their blocks. No contact. And then the irony was Richman tried that low body block which was pretty effective to make the DEnd slow down and keep him from trying to block a pass but Richmond was call for Tripping.

I didnt see his legs trip the guy but maybe you cant do a low body block between the tackles anymore.

Regarding OL.....

Combination of a number of things likely but ultimately it is KF's responsibility to keep things on track especially considering his experience and expertise with the OL.

Development, recruiting, coaching staff.........it's in there somewhere. Just such a shame to have such an unbalance between between the offensive & defensive unit's performances in the same season.

This is Iowa, we used to trot out bulldozers on the line. We consistently have small linemen now that need 3 years just to be passable.

If anything I would expect Kirk to still coach up linemen but here we are.

The OLIne has rarely been good at Iowa. Yes they have had stars but as a unit they have consistently underwhelmed. This is what 2-star and 3-star OLines look like.

Look at how many years Iowa finished in the top half of the league in rushing. Hint is less than 5 during KF's tenure.

Iowa went up against an experienced D line of 4 and 5 star players with undersized, 3 star underclassmen and got their butts whopped. Iowa's largest offensive linemen is what? 308 pounds? Any hope Iowa could compete at this level with offensive linemen barely in the program was a fantasy. They won 10 games. The linemen got great training this year. Next year, 10 to 20 pounds heavier they will be better. QB well that's another question.

I thought picking this team to win 8 games was optimistic. They won ten games and won the West.

Even at that Iowa did ok it seems up to the redzone; certainly enough to keep it a game for awhile. It's Iowa's redzone offense that really stinks. One trick pass to the FB is no way to finish a drive.

This years' OLine likely would have been Kallenberger, Ince, Linderbaum, Schott, Wirfs.

That's 5yr, 4yr, 4yr, 5yr, 4yr experience, reps, skill, size, etc.

Going pro, retiring, injuries (not just a week off) affected 4 of 5 spots.
Couple other guys just washed out of the program (not unusual) - Iowa is a tough program, that's the 'developmental' part

These are 'woes'. 2012 Iowa lost 2 experienced tackles in 3 plays. Lost last 6 games after that.

To still win 10 games is impressive (IMO) when you look at the Oline Iowa played with this year. I do think they improved over the last 4 games.

I guess my take on the recruiting argument. IF you have a program that is truly a developmental program as we claim to be why wouldn't you want the higher ranking prospects to be the ones doing the developing. Not saying I don't like the players we have now or that they can't compete, but if the higher ranked recruits are already a step ahead in terms of skill or athleticism then those are the guys we should be wanting. Recruiting matters.

Even at that Iowa did ok it seems up to the redzone; certainly enough to keep it a game for awhile. It's Iowa's redzone offense that really stinks. One trick pass to the FB is no way to finish a drive.

In my opinion that trick pass was one of the few calls BF got right, but was simply a matter of a miscue in the execution of it. We had the Michigan defense beat with that play call and simply couldn't capitalize. In my opinion the lack of size and strength up front is what kills us in the redzone. It's alot easier to defend in a tighter/confined space when the D-Line isn't getting knocked back in the trenches and is moving us backwards.

This years' OLine likely would have been Kallenberger, Ince, Linderbaum, Schott, Wirfs.

That's 5yr, 4yr, 4yr, 5yr, 4yr experience, reps, skill, size, etc.

Going pro, retiring, injuries (not just a week off) affected 4 of 5 spots.
Couple other guys just washed out of the program (not unusual) - Iowa is a tough program, that's the 'developmental' part

These are 'woes'. 2012 Iowa lost 2 experienced tackles in 3 plays. Lost last 6 games after that.

To still win 10 games is impressive (IMO) when you look at the Oline Iowa played with this year. I do think they improved over the last 4 games.
This. The OL was unexpectedly young. I had low expectations going into the season for the OL and they lived up to that. They did get a bit better the last few games and I expect this unit should be much improved next year.

The offense had a young and small line, QBs who are not playmakers, a pedestrian playcaller, and a head coach who values possession and ball security over offensive production. Any shock we sucked on offense?