How Critical Is This Year for KF?

I suppose I meant more for the fan base. KF has put BF in a tough spot. Besides the HC, the OC and DC seem to take the most heat (and that makes sense). If the offense tanks, and tanks bad despite whatever excuses we have built in, or make up, BF is going to take way more heat than he ever has in his life.

Let's fast forward to 2018, and the offense still has issues, now KF and GB are in the position to potentially restructure the staff again, meaning BF failed or is failing to meet the expectations.

I don't think KF is ever safe. He's probably safer than most with that stupid extension, but if things really go backwards with this new staff and recruiting, I can't see him staying around to give Brian the keys

Kirk set Brian up perfectly. Brought in Derp to set the bar so low that it would be next to impossible for Brian to perform worse.

I think as far as fan support this year is very critical. With his contract he isn't going anywhere regardless of the results this season unless it's voluntary. However, the schedule is much tougher this year and if he can win 8 or more games and actually have Iowa show up for their bowl game he will win back a lot of support. If Iowa comes out and only wins 4 or 5 games I don't see him regaining people's support yet again.

It's not. 2017 will be just about the least critical year he's had at Iowa. 100% job security. The shield of a tougher schedule, a new QB, and a new offense getting broken in. It's a lot like 2011 and *shutters* 2012. Doesn't really matter in his long term plans because he can just hold out for another good season (see 2015) and then pass the torch to Brian in the afterglow.

It's not. 2017 will be just about the least critical year he's had at Iowa. 100% job security. The shield of a tougher schedule, a new QB, and a new offense getting broken in. It's a lot like 2011 and *shutters* 2012. Doesn't really matter in his long term plans because he can just hold out for another good season (see 2015) and then pass the torch to Brian in the afterglow.

Yep. We thought KFz was on serious notice after 2014, then after one comeback season Barta rolls over for him. Reminds me of a guy who cheats on his wife...then says "but I really love you baby", buys her a new ring and gets a free pass renewal. There is absolutely no pressure for KFz to perform..and there won't be again. His only incentive is to set up Brian to take over.

How ironic would it be, if BFz builds something resembling a real offense...and the Hawks thrive, winning him the HC job. The phrase "what if we'd have this all along"... will burn up the boards.

As many have said, it is not critical.

No year will ever be critical again for KF.

I think a better topic would have been "How Critical is This Year for Brian Ferentz?" He is the one that is now squarely in the spotlight. His career at Iowa is the one that will be tenuous. If he doesnt get things done, there will be pressure on KF to get rid of him. Nepotism or not.

I think a better topic would have been "How Critical is This Year for Brian Ferentz?" He is the one that is now squarely in the spotlight. His career at Iowa is the one that will be tenuous. If he doesnt get things done, there will be pressure on KF to get rid of him. Nepotism or not.
He won't fire Brian no matter what. Brian either decides to move on, or he takes over the program. Worst case is Brian sucks, so neither of those occur and he just hangs on with Dad and Uncle Phil until sometime next decade.

If BF wants to move on to other higher profile coaching gigs, than yes it's critical for him. But if he wants to stay at Iowa it isn't. He reports to Barta. Barta reports to Ferentz and his agent. Good, bad, or indifferent, Iowa football & the Ferentz family are bed partners until Kirk calls it a career.

Barta: Kirk, we need to talk about Brian.

Kirk: oh yeah?

Barta: We are getting a lot of pressure from fans. I have to ask you to let him go.

Kirk: *snort* Or else what?

Barta: ....

Kirk: That's what I thought. *Proceeds to compare the situation to the 1978 Pitt Panthers* ... Anyways. No. And I need you to make some room available for Steve. I am thinking somewhere in the exercise sciences so we can start grooming him for AD or maybe even President sometime soon. Talk to my agent to make some arrangements.

Barta: I . . . Ok Kirk.

Would be so funny if Ferentz held a pres conference and publicly criticized the writing quality and style of the collected reporters in front of them. Then after a sarcastic half laugh "heh", he moved on to criticizing their appearance and level of physical fitness.

Minimal expectations + new starting QB = 9 or 10 wins. That formula seems to work the best for KF. As several others have pointed there is no such thing as a critical year for Ferentz. There might be a little bit of pressure not to get worked in a bowl game......even if that happens it is not going to matter.

I get a little tired of the "we have a new starter at <position x>" excuse. This is college football. EVERY team graduates 20-25% of their players each year.

Having a strategic succession plan and strategy, for recruiting, player development and practice/game experience is part of effective coaching and program management. Certainly a guy with KFz's tenure has that figured out by now.

Last edited:
I don't think it means as much to Kirk as it does Brian. Brian has to show he can take over for the old man by calling plays like he is trying to win the game. He has to show he can go out and get better skill positions.

I can see this going for two or three years and if they can maintain a 8 -9 win season Kirk will walk out of his office for the last time.. walk directly over to Melrose... take street sign down and put up his own sign "Kirk Ferentz Way" the cross street he will also change to "Told You So"

Brutal? We play Wyoming, ISU and North Texas for our non-cons. As for the rest...they're conference games. We should be capable of beating any team in our conference...especially with such an established coach.

Iowa won't be favored vs Penn State, @Michigan State, Ohio State, @Wisconsin...maybe not @Nebraska. That's at least 3 losses no matter how you want to argue it...possibly more. That's why I don't think 7 wins would be a shocker. Disappointing, absolutely, but not a shocker.

It's critical for these reasons:

At his age, he's going to need to be screened for several age related illnesses and conditions.
He should also have a financial check-up and move more of his money to bonds...or more conservative investments.
He may want to reevaluate his will, in particular if Brian turns out to be a shitty offensive coordinator.

Other than that, I can't think of anything that is critical to KF. He ain't going nowhere any time soon...unless the Good Lord is willing.