How Critical Is This Year for KF?

DBAHawkFan

Changes were made after this last season, which was a typical KF season. Beat some teams you don't expect, lose to teams we shouldn't, and then blown out in the Bowl game.

Expectations I would imagine will be low going into this year. So does that give KF a pass for a few more years? 2015 the seat was pretty hot after the TN game, and the rough off-season.

Are we OK with Brian learning on the job? With the new coaches do we need to wait 2-3 seasons to see if they can recruit? Does KF seat get hot again if for some reason we have a 2012 type season (which have been rare in his career).

I'll be OK with a 7 win season if we show enough progress on offense, and overall attitude towards the OOC games. Beat the crap out of the OOC teams, and then beat the bottom teams in the Big10. Hope we can pick off a top team or two and maybe contend for the division. For me though, it's about schemes changing and playing smarter (versus puckered up).

It's only Spring, so doubt we'll learn much over the next month. I am more curious this year more than any other year in a while with having a bunch of new faces on the offense. And Iowa has done well with first year starters......

Every year is critical.

That said KF ain't going anywhere, even if we go 0-12, his contract is an albatross that would never allow Iowa to fire him at this point.

Every year is critical.

That said KF ain't going anywhere, even if we go 0-12, his contract is an albatross that would never allow Iowa to fire him at this point.
Bingo.

Whether the fans want him gone or not is a moot point. KF is here until he decides he's done. No amount of protest or complaining will change that. It depends on one's point of view as to whether it's a good or bad thing.

I don't think it's critical for ferentz. As many has said, he's here for a long time now. The point is that Iowa's fan base is just as fickle as anyone else. If Iowa has a bad season, people will have the pitchforks out. But if 2018 would be great, those same fans would jump right back on the bandwagon.

Iowa's schedule is pretty brutal this year. I wouldn't be that shocked if they only won 7 games.

Stupid thread he basically has a lifetime contract at this point he doesn't have to do anything but watch the stock market. Having said that you can't coach for that long and NOT be competitive. But as he said in his presser there's nothing really "new" out there yet we play like crap in bowl games and if it weren't for teams calling off the dogs after 3 quarters the 45 points we give up every year would look more like 70.

Iowa's schedule is pretty brutal this year. I wouldn't be that shocked if they only won 7 games.

I kind of agree. I am never happy with a 7 win season, but this year is gonna be a challenge. Yet we all know how KF rolls, he will probably lose to Wyoming and Illinois and beat Nebraska and Penn St. or something like that and finish with 7 wins, then everyone will be bitching and complaining that we were a 9 win team if it weren't for the stupid Ferentz coaches.

Every year is critical.

I agree every year is critical,for moral,recruiting,ticket sales and I Club donations.Winning solves all problems, I would say seeing a more balanced offense is what everyone would like to see.

He doesn't have a lifetime contract. Two losing seasons in a row would put him on the hot seat and a third would mean bye-bye, no matter the buy-out or what Kirk has meant to Iowa football, etc.

Thing is, this program is solid enough that I don't think we'll ever have three losing seasons in a row under Kirk which I guess does mean he, in effect, does have a lifetime contract.

I'd say it's critical in that KF will want BF to get off on as good a foot as possible. He's wanting to hand the keys to the kingdom off to him in a few years and that ain't happenin if the offense/team in general stinks it up. That said the schedule like a lot of you have mentioned is going to be tough. With a new QB, still unrproven WRs TEs.... They'll have their work cut out for them. They'll lean on the running game Oline and Wadley to try and dominate in that way. But if they are as unbalanced as last yr the record sure won't be any better...

major moves on the coaching staff, new QB, only one proven playmaker (wadley). expect growing pains although not to the extent of greg davis.

I suppose I meant more for the fan base. KF has put BF in a tough spot. Besides the HC, the OC and DC seem to take the most heat (and that makes sense). If the offense tanks, and tanks bad despite whatever excuses we have built in, or make up, BF is going to take way more heat than he ever has in his life.

Let's fast forward to 2018, and the offense still has issues, now KF and GB are in the position to potentially restructure the staff again, meaning BF failed or is failing to meet the expectations.

I don't think KF is ever safe. He's probably safer than most with that stupid extension, but if things really go backwards with this new staff and recruiting, I can't see him staying around to give Brian the keys

Brutal? We play Wyoming, ISU and North Texas for our non-cons. As for the rest...they're conference games. We should be capable of beating any team in our conference...especially with such an established coach.

And this has been the issue under KF since the beginning. We rarely get through our OOC without a loss or two, and that's with ISU being one of the worst P5 teams in the nation for over a decade, and MAC teams.

We've gone here so many times, but just imagine the record KF would have here if he could just win those double digit favored games like most P5 teams?

I think we are capable of beating everyone except PSU, and OSU in 2017. Unless they drop a turd like Michigan, we don't have the firepower to keep up with them.

And this has been the issue under KF since the beginning. We rarely get through our OOC without a loss or two, and that's with ISU being one of the worst P5 teams in the nation for over a decade, and MAC teams.

We've gone here so many times, but just imagine the record KF would have here if he could just win those double digit favored games like most P5 teams?

I think we are capable of beating everyone except PSU, and OSU in 2017. Unless they drop a turd like Michigan, we don't have the firepower to keep up with them.

So we lose to PSU and tOSU and split w Wisconsin and Nebraska (seems about right). That's 9-3. Seems pretty do-able with good coaching.

The fact that we sweat through a non-con schedule like this very year, wondering which one we're gonna lose, speaks volumes.

So we lose to PSU and tOSU and split w Wisconsin and Nebraska (seems about right). That's 9-3. Seems pretty do-able with good coaching.

The fact that we sweat through a non-con schedule like this very year, wondering which one we're gonna lose, speaks volumes.
Till we go a few yrs in a row with no hickups in the non con I'd say it's pretty fair to assume that Iowa more likely then not will lose a game they shouldn't... With all the new starters on O at key positions it'd be a heck of a gamble for someone to say the offense will be clicking early. Who knows if Vandeberg can be relied upon come week 1. I for one am not going to have crazy high expectations for them. I'd say 8 wins or more and we should be pretty ok with that. Not happy or satisfied but just realistic with what we all have going on. 7 should be the absolute floor for pretty much any season. 6 or less and KF shouldn't be cashing those big checks...

Till we go a few yrs in a row with no hickups in the non con I'd say it's pretty fair to assume that Iowa more likely then not will lose a game they shouldn't... With all the new starters on O at key positions it'd be a heck of a gamble for someone to say the offense will be clicking early. Who knows if Vandeberg can be relied upon come week 1. I for one am not going to have crazy high expectations for them. I'd say 8 wins or more and we should be pretty ok with that. Not happy or satisfied but just realistic with what we all have going on. 7 should be the absolute floor for pretty much any season. 6 or less and KF shouldn't be cashing those big checks...

I agree, 7 is the floor...not an acceptable average (which is what it has been under KFz)

Last edited:
I agree with 7 wins on a down year (and no major injuries). With our OOC and then the bottom feeders of the Big10, no excuse to not get to 7 wins every year.

We could easily have duplicated WI success if we just beat the teams we're supposed to.

Latest posts